Pat Forde: Just how dominant is Alabama? The numbers tell the story

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
As a grammar and spelling nazi, I have to laugh at myself for that typo; who lives by the sword, etc. Luckily, I don’t take myself too seriously. Can you say the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Asks the guy pointedly inquiring into whether I had actually witnessed what I'd posted on a message board.

And whether it was hearsay...

I, uh, rest my case, Your Honor...

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Asks the guy pointedly inquiring into whether I had actually witnessed what I'd posted on a message board.

And whether it was hearsay...

I, uh, rest my case, Your Honor...
I never went to law school, but I imagine pretty much any 1L could eviscerate the argument that high fives after a football game can only mean a celebration of the loser’s defeat.

I resist the idea that when someone writes something critical of Alabama, ever, it’s because of the author’s hatred of Alabama. As for the alleged high five, well, my best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Pat Forde high five Dan Wolken after the 2015 Ole Miss game. I guess he hates Alabama.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I never went to law school, but I imagine pretty much any 1L could eviscerate the argument that high fives after a football game can only mean a celebration of the loser’s defeat.

I resist the idea that when someone writes something critical of Alabama, ever, it’s because of the author’s hatred of Alabama. As for the alleged high five, well, my best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Pat Forde high five Dan Wolken after the 2015 Ole Miss game. I guess he hates Alabama.

You just can't help yourself, can you...

SMH...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My brain got to working (it happens on occasion).

Let's change it up a bit (for Coach Bryant, 1973-80)

After beating Tennessee senseless, the Crimson Tide now has won 48 of their last 50 SEC games, and captured six SEC titles. This dates back to the infamous Punt Bama Punt game, when Alabama gave up two blocked punts returned for TDs by Auburn. Since then: pure domination.

The Dash takes a look inside the data:

• Average margin of victory: 22.6 points in 48 wins during a running era.
• Closest games: 3 points (LSU 1979, 1974 Auburn was four)
• Number of times during the games won that Alabama has trailed at halftime: four times in 48 games (1973 Kentucky, 1975 MSU, 1976 MSU, 1979 UTe)
• Number of opponents who were ranked at the time: 9 (but remember that 3 of the 12 for the current Tide team are due to the fact that there's an SEC title game - and all 3 opponents were ranked on game day)
• Current SEC coaches who had beaten Paul Bryant in October 1980: 1 (Vince Dooley, who had beaten him twice, once thanks to that damned flea flicker)
• Bryant's Alabama record as of 10/80 against current SEC coaches? 19-2 (both losses to Dooley; recall that the SEC usually only played SIX conference games back then and it was the first year for Stovall, he'd only played Bellard (MSU) once, McIntyre twice (Vandy), and Sloan and Pell once each......because the coaches kept getting fired.....
• Punching bag: Bryant was 4-0 at the time against both Doug Barfield and Johnny Majors

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

After beating Tennessee senseless, the Crimson Tide now has won 48 of their last 50 SEC games, and captured six SEC titles. This dates back to the infamous Punt Bama Punt game, when Alabama gave up two blocked punts returned for TDs by Auburn. Since then: pure domination.

• Number of times during the games won that Alabama has trailed at halftime: four times in 48 games (1973 Kentucky, 1975 MSU, 1976 MSU, 1979 UTe)
Number of opponents who were ranked at the time: 9 (but remember that 3 of the 12 for the current Tide team are due to the fact that there's an SEC title game - and all 3 opponents were ranked on game day)
• Current SEC coaches who had beaten Paul Bryant in October 1980: 1 (Vince Dooley, who had beaten him twice, once thanks to that damned flea flicker)
• Bryant's Alabama record as of 10/80 against current SEC coaches? 19-2 (both losses to Dooley; recall that the SEC usually only played SIX conference games back then and it was the first year for Stovall, he'd only played Bellard (MSU) once, McIntyre twice (Vandy), and Sloan and Pell once each......because the coaches kept getting fired.....
• Punching bag: Bryant was 4-0 at the time against both Doug Barfield and Johnny Majors
I must have misunderstood what you are saying. But 26 (28 ranked but 26 in top 20 to be equivalent), not 12, of Bama's last 50 SEC opponents were ranked. And it seems that the fact that 3, actually it's 4, of the opponents were in the SEC title game is irrelevant - they were ranked teams. Am I wrong, have I misunderstood what you were saying ?

The SEC has been much stronger from 2011-2017 than it was from 73-80. Saban's teams vs Bryant's: 26-11 vs top 20, 11-5 vs top 10, at time game was played. Bryant's record vs Saban's: 48-2, 45-5. Both periods were/have been phenomenal.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I must have misunderstood what you are saying.
I'm absolutely certain you did. Go back and look at the SECOND line....

I wasn't talking about right now at all......

But 26 (28 ranked but 26 in top 20 to be equivalent), not 12, of Bama's last 50 SEC opponents were ranked.
That might be true, I don't know because I haven't looked. I wasn't talking about the last 50 SEC opponents.

And it seems that the fact that 3, actually it's 4, of the opponents were in the SEC title game is irrelevant - they were ranked teams.
Forde was only talking about the last 22 or whatever games. Actually, I WAS wrong about one thing because the 2014 SECCG was irrelevant to post-2015 Ole Miss.

Point being that yes there's more ranked opponents in that small snippet, but it's a function of the time.

Am I wrong, have I misunderstood what you were saying ?
Yes, because I wasn't talking about Saban's teams, I was talking about Bryant's.

The SEC has been much stronger from 2011-2017 than it was from 73-80.
2011-2014.....absolutely.

But when you remember there's two more SEC schools nowadays and they can pad the record with cupcakes and are living off recent glory......there were 3 teams ranked at the end of the year including us in both 1980 and 2016.......but there were two more teams in the league in the latter.

1973 - Vols, LSU 2011 - LSU, Ark, UGA
1974 - Auburn, UF, MSU, Vols 2012 - UGA, ATM, SC, UF, LSU
1975 - UGA 2013 - Aub, SC, Mizz, LSU, ATM
1976 - UGA, UK, MSU 2014 - UGA, MSU, Ole Miss, Mizz
1977 - UK 2015 - Ole Miss, LSU
1978 - UGA 2016 - LSU, UF
1979 - Auburn
1980 - UGA, MSU

Saban's teams vs Bryant's: 26-11 vs top 20, 11-5 vs top 10, at time game was played. Bryant's record vs Saban's: 48-2, 45-5. Both periods were/have been phenomenal.
Your last line kinda gets my point in a nutshell.

Bryant's SEC record from 1973-1981 (actually) saw us only lose THREE SEC games.

But I'm a little wary of all the dominance talk about this team just yet. We have some glaring vulnerabilities that a talented offense might be able to make some hay about. We've been fortunate, however, that every other team has them, too.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I did know you were talking about Bryant's teams from '73-'80. I was responding to your comment that I had bolded, "Number of opponents who were ranked at the time: 9 (but remember that 3 of the 12 for the current Tide team are due to the fact that there's an SEC title game - and all 3 opponents were ranked on game day)". From this comment I inferred you meant the 9 was ranked opponents Bryant's teams had played and the 12 "current" opponents were those Saban's teams had played covering the last 50 SEC opponents. And your comment, "the Crimson Tide now has won 48 of their last 50 SEC games". From this I inferred that you meant the last 50 SEC games. I did not count the SEC games from '73-'80, I realize now it was 53.

The following comments are not responding directly to your comments, just comparing the 2 periods using the polls from at the time Bama played the game: Bryant's Bama played 11 ranked SEC teams and Saban's played 27 ranked in the top 20.

As far as the final poll: Bryant's teams played 8 ranked opponents, Saban's 14. I was not counting number of SEC teams overall, just the ones Bama played. Overall SEC record: Bryant 50-3, Saban 48-5.

My point simply was that the current Bama program played many more ranked teams than the older one, and the SEC slate Bama played was much stronger from '11-17 than the one from '73-'80, the time covering the 53 SEC games.

"But I'm a little wary of all the dominance talk about this team...". I agree that the current team has a lot to prove. Though, IMO, the SEC as a whole is not as bad as many are claiming, the SEC that Bama has played to this point is pathetic. OTOH, I think few would disagree, not implying you do, that the program has been dominant from '08 til now: Overall 120-13, SEC 69-8, 5 SEC titles and 4 NCs. Versus ranked teams 50-13, top 10 25-8, top 5 13-6, number 1 5-1, 1 vs 2 6-2.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

• Number of opponents who were ranked at the time: 9 (but remember that 3 of the 12 for the current Tide team are due to the fact that there's an SEC title game - and all 3 opponents were ranked on game day)
We have played far more than 50 SEC games since the 1972 "Punt Bama, Punt" game...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.