Question: Your thoughts on Florida vs Georgia

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Smart is not Richt, and his teams have not played even remotely the same.
I know Smart is not Richt, and they've been better this year than last.

Again - on paper UGA wins this.

But the game isn't played on paper or Sega so.....

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
What's funny is that 92tide is NOT only saying this because he has to live among the Bulldawg unfaithful......it's because over and over and over again it looks SO SIMPLE on paper and yet UGA somehow manages more often than not to screw it up.
Selma is it possible that Georgia is more "Clempson" than Clemson but on a bigger stage? :-o

I tend to take 92tide's same stance on UGA ineptness. I too lived there for a LONG time. They have a solid football program over the years, no doubt but I think their fans are pretty delusional (though now they're more cautiously optimistic -- maybe the Falcons helped with that) in their expectations. "Georgia *should* be winning SEC championships ... yada yada."

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Kirby 1-3 vs Florida as a player, lost last year - I think he will try to pour it on if the opportunity presents itself

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I think UGA will win, but Florida has played a much tougher schedule. LSU and Texas A&M have proven to be pretty decent teams despite each having a head scratching loss, and UF lost to them both by a combined score of 3 points.

Unless Florida implodes, I think it will be a competitive game.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I think UGA will win, but Florida has played a much tougher schedule. LSU and Texas A&M have proven to be pretty decent teams despite each having a head scratching loss, and UF lost to them both by a combined score of 3 points.

Unless Florida implodes, I think it will be a competitive game.
Florida's annual schedule is probably toughest in the east. They play LSU as their cross divisional rival every year and FSU is a guaranteed OOC opponent every year.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
20 - 13

UF breaks UGA's heart again!!!

It's a defensive battle/FG contest. Chubb or Michel breaks a long one for a TD. Fromm throws a pick-six late. Last second hail mary falls short.

Doubt it will happen, but one can dream...

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
When I finished my preseason predictions, I had UGA at 12-0, but I didn't think they could actually pull it off so I went back and picked UF to beat them. Now, I just can't see UF beating UGA. In fact, I can't see them staying within two touchdowns. I don't think UGA is great, but the SEC east is so bad right now. I don't know how UT didn't win the East at least once the last few years.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would argue last years UGA team looked eerily similar to a Richt team. Might have even under-performed more. This year has been a different story, obviously.
Well to be fair as they're NOT the same team, we should note that last year was almost totally Richt's players. However, let's look at it game by game.

2016 - barely beat Nicholls State, fair to middling against ULL
2017 - thumped App State and Samford

2016 - beat a mid-level UNC team
2017 - beat Notre Dame, jury still out on exactly how good they really are

2016 - lost to Tennessee on a Hail Mary
2017 - thumped Tennessee, who isn't as good as last year

2016 - lost to an Ole Miss team that wound up around .500
2017 - creamed an overrated Miss State team, whose rating was based solely on beating an LSU team that lost to Troy.....

2016 - lost to Vandy
2017 - thumped Vandy

By this time last year they had played and beaten S Carolina.

Don't take this as ripping them (keep reading)......but Georgia's ENTIRE "wow, they're good" is based entirely upon them beating Notre Dame in South Bend and thumping an overrated Miss State team.The rest of their schedule thus far is a bunch of names out of the phone book.

Florida's record is worse but they've played short-handed and played better teams as well.

In Kirby's favor, however, UGA is 11-1 in their last 12 games and the only loss by a single point to Tech.

Once again, I think an easy argument can be made that UGA is better than Florida based on performance thus far. But UGA right now is where Alabama was at the 2007 Arkansas game. We had spent so many years losing games by a single score at the very end that while the 2007 year didn't pay off very well at the time, we showed we could WIN close games that year and built on that. UGA is in the same position - year after year they put a team together that looks good and year after year they go down to Jacksonville and get their heads handed to them.

UGA winning can be a turning point in the program for the better. Another loss and they go right back to "Jawja-ing."

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Heard a rumor today from a UF bud that both Scarlett and Callaway might be back this week - those are both game changers...
Big in that their offense might go from high school to junior college level?

I expect Georgia to roll. That said, hope Florida gets them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Heard a rumor today from a UF bud that both Scarlett and Callaway might be back this week - those are both game changers...
They are going to a pretrial intervention, which changes their situation in legal terms, but they still have to go through a process with Florida's student conduct system, so no telling when and if this will result in them playing again.

Here's a quote from a member on our forum which explains a bit more and pretty much sums up how I feel:

"The university has handled this appropriately and punished them by suspending them for most of the season. Pre-trial diversion also comes with conditions that they will have to meet to fulfill their contract with the state, in other words, they have more consequences to deal with. If they don't comply, the deal will be revoked.

They deserve a chance to rejoin the team, and straighten out their lives. No harm will come from that, perhaps a lot of good--for them and the team. I don't see how that "tarnishes" UF at all. We suspended them, which is punishment, and they and the team suffered the consequences of that suspension."

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I know anything can happen, but I`ll be more than a little surprised if UGA doesn`t win handily. I think CKS is in the process of creating a monster. JMO.
Monster??? lol. let's see if he and his dawgs can beat auburn on the plains. aside from beating a ranked Norte Dame on the road by 1 point, UGA has beaten everyone they should on their schedule. FYI, despite Florida being very bad on offense the last few years, UF has beaten UGA 3 straight years. Georgia isn't the same team away from Athens.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I know Georgia is the better team right now, but They have a history of screwing up a game. I hope Florida comes ready to play. If it's low scoring game, Gator has a chance.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Hard to believe UGA has only won 6 times since 1990, they should make it 7 Saturday.
not really. UGA was good in the early 80s ( Walker) , but Spurrier turn UF into a powerhouse from the late 80s into the 90s. then the 21 century approach, Urban Meyer made them almost unstoppable. while good ole jawja was still lost in the wilderness praising Hershel Walker's exploits over a quarter of century ago!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.