Question: Your thoughts on Florida vs Georgia

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
not really. UGA was good in the early 80s ( Walker) , but Spurrier turn UF into a powerhouse from the late 80s into the 90s. then the 21 century approach, Urban Meyer made them almost unstoppable. while good ole jawja was still lost in the wilderness praising Hershel Walker's exploits over a quarter of century ago!!!!
Don't forget about the former Dawg player Champ era! :(

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
not really. UGA was good in the early 80s ( Walker) , but Spurrier turn UF into a powerhouse from the late 80s into the 90s. then the 21 century approach, Urban Meyer made them almost unstoppable. while good ole jawja was still lost in the wilderness praising Hershel Walker's exploits over a quarter of century ago!!!!
I dunno:
2002: 13-1
2003: 11-3
2004: 10-2
2005: 10-3
2006: 9-4
2007: 11-2
2008: 10-3
2009: 8-5
2010: 6-7
2011: 10-4
2012: 12-2

That's an average season of 10-3 and during that time UGA went 4-7 against UF.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If both teams play to their full capability then Georgia will win. If Florida plays great and Georgia plays badly then Florida has a chance.
I personally think Georgia's defense will slam the door on the Gators offense and they'll win by something like 24-3.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's all fine and good......until one remembers that Ron Friggin' Zook was 2-1 against UGA. In the three years he coached at UF, Georgia only lost six games and TWO of those six were to Zook for Pete's sake.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Smart is not Richt, and his teams have not played even remotely the same.
I agree with that, nor is he Donnan or Goff. 20 years later and I still can't believe Georgia actually allowed that guy to be their head coach even if he was Dooley's pick. Someone mentioned it earlier that this Georgia team reminds them of us from 2008 and I couldn't agree more. Time will tell, but Smart has a a real chance to separate Georgia from the rest of the SEC East, and that's what Georgia fans have been looking for since Meyer left Florida. From their perspective, they let golden opportunities slip while Florida and UT have been floundering the last several years. I think this will be a statement game for Georgia and will be able to name the score.

The thing that really is in Georgia's favor, and more so than at Alabama, is the talent level in Georgia they can recruit from with virtually no in-state competition. Georgia is certainly a hot target for the big national programs and Smart will never be able to lock down the state entirely, but I imagine he will have top 5 classes consistently. On the surface, it certainly seems like he is doing everything he can to emulate Saban's style from coaching to handling the media. I don't know if he will be nearly as successful at it because of how demanding that is, but at the moment it seems to be working.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I dunno:
2002: 13-1
2003: 11-3
2004: 10-2
2005: 10-3
2006: 9-4
2007: 11-2
2008: 10-3
2009: 8-5
2010: 6-7
2011: 10-4
2012: 12-2

That's an average season of 10-3 and during that time UGA went 4-7 against UF.
I was comparing the two programs over the last 25 years, but yes to your point UGA isn't terrible, but they haven't exactly own the East even when they were good as you presented. to makes matter worse, the East has been down for awhile yet UGA hasn't lay claim as a " powerhouse" should.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I agree with that, nor is he Donnan or Goff. 20 years later and I still can't believe Georgia actually allowed that guy to be their head coach even if he was Dooley's pick. Someone mentioned it earlier that this Georgia team reminds them of us from 2008 and I couldn't agree more. Time will tell, but Smart has a a real chance to separate Georgia from the rest of the SEC East, and that's what Georgia fans have been looking for since Meyer left Florida. From their perspective, they let golden opportunities slip while Florida and UT have been floundering the last several years. I think this will be a statement game for Georgia and will be able to name the score.

The thing that really is in Georgia's favor, and more so than at Alabama, is the talent level in Georgia they can recruit from with virtually no in-state competition. Georgia is certainly a hot target for the big national programs and Smart will never be able to lock down the state entirely, but I imagine he will have top 5 classes consistently. On the surface, it certainly seems like he is doing everything he can to emulate Saban's style from coaching to handling the media. I don't know if he will be nearly as successful at it because of how demanding that is, but at the moment it seems to be working.
Uga is sorta like U.Texas, in that they really "Should" be competing for NC's most years, and that's really been true of both schools for the past century - both are sitting in vast pools of prime talent, both have plenty of resources (UTex espcially), yet with the exception of a Very Few great years at Texass - neither has lived up to their potential.

As you note - with UF and UcheaT both in shambles, you'd have to think that Kirby has a golden opportunity

I guess I'm still just kind of baffled that Coach Mac hasn't had similar results at UF as Kirby has had (so far) at UGa...... I guess I really thought UF would be a lot better by now...... Guess a lot of UF fans feel the same way.

Funny, that you mention Donnan. If memory serves, Donnan is (or was) big bud's with Danny Sheridan, and Sheridan made a huge push for UA to hire Donnan after Dubose crashed and burned. And Sheridan was really angry for years that UA didn't take HIS "great" advice. I remain eternally grateful that UA never made that mistake.......

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
---snip---I guess I'm still just kind of baffled that Coach Mac hasn't had similar results at UF as Kirby has had (so far) at UGa...... I guess I really thought UF would be a lot better by now...... Guess a lot of UF fans feel the same way.---snip---
Hey Tom, I can understand why you would wonder that but here's a pretty good article that might help clarify things wrt what's happening at Florida....

https://medium.com/@year2/2017-florida-football-mid-year-assessment-250bcd9ead78

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Uga is sorta like U.Texas, in that they really "Should" be competing for NC's most years, and that's really been true of both schools for the past century - both are sitting in vast pools of prime talent, both have plenty of resources (UTex espcially), yet with the exception of a Very Few great years at Texass - neither has lived up to their potential.

As you note - with UF and UcheaT both in shambles, you'd have to think that Kirby has a golden opportunity

I guess I'm still just kind of baffled that Coach Mac hasn't had similar results at UF as Kirby has had (so far) at UGa...... I guess I really thought UF would be a lot better by now...... Guess a lot of UF fans feel the same way.

Funny, that you mention Donnan. If memory serves, Donnan is (or was) big bud's with Danny Sheridan, and Sheridan made a huge push for UA to hire Donnan after Dubose crashed and burned. And Sheridan was really angry for years that UA didn't take HIS "great" advice. I remain eternally grateful that UA never made that mistake.......
in fairness to Mac, UF did make it to 2 straight SECCG albeit with average offenses but good defenses to carried the team during those 2 years. granted, the East has been horrible so not too surprising they came out ahead after the smoke cleared. remember, it was going to be finally Tennessee's turn last year until the epic collapse at the end of the season.
UGA has made 5 total appearances in the SECCG since 1992, all under Richt who was 2-3 in those appearances.

Tom, your post has more questions about Georgia than answers.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The one and only reason I think UGA will beat UF, this is not the richt UGA. Talent is good but I feel Kirby has changed the one big thing Richt never could, ATTITUDES. I expect UGA to beat UF and Auburn. And if they do SECCG will be a good one, Bama should win but UGA will fight us hard. Just my feelings, could all go south this saturday LOL

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Hey Tom, I can understand why you would wonder that but here's a pretty good article that might help clarify things wrt what's happening at Florida....

https://medium.com/@year2/2017-florida-football-mid-year-assessment-250bcd9ead78
Pretty good read actually, and the guy makes some good points. Esp. noting that even Alabama is not running Alabama's 2008-2013 offenses. Fair assessment.

Though - just to be clear, I'm surprised at UF's struggles, but not particularly disappointed! ;)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
My thoughts????? UF looking for new coach before half time. UGA looking like SEC east champion. OH..... Kirby against Saban, he will probably lose but put up more of a fight than any otherSsaban assistant has to date.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Kirby to fly to Washington DC and hold a class for the government, how to drain a swamp. :biggrin2:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I am betting Auburn is watching this game and not looking forward to UGA game, with them playing like this.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Great post, Tom and HIT the nail right on the head with all points.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.