New (Coach Saban) salary article on USA TODAY

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Go to usatoday sports section, they have a great article on salaries for coaches. 11. some odd million for Saban, it is tops. Before people blow a gasket only 245,000 is base, state paid, 10.9 mil is provided by other outside things like media contracts etc. Was a good article asking is he worth it. They showed how nrollment is up instate and really up from out of state kids. Admin 100% says he is worth it, when they asked Nick if he is worth it he said, probably not LOL The coach has loosened up so much in the last 10 yrs. Good article if you want to check it out. They also mentioned some way over rated and over paid coaches.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-nick-sabans-pay-compares-top-ceos/800824001/

(I assumed that's the article - NT16)

Last edited by a moderator:

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Re: New salary article on USA TODAY

I'm currently not an Alabama resident but if I were, I would only have rights to complain about the $245k. If all these other sources, i.e., not taxpayer funds, want to give CNS the keys to Fort Knox who am I to complain? They can give him all the money they have for all I care.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Man is there really only one way to post here, must put links, must do title exactly to a certain standard? Sorry but I am new and trying to learn, but this is like getting a grade on every post. Guess I need a class in tidefan posting. Did not know there is a certain format that should always be used, this may not be the place for me. :rolleyes:
What would you rather do - click the thread and find the article or click the thread and be told where to find the article?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Man is there really only one way to post here, must put links, must do title exactly to a certain standard? Sorry but I am new and trying to learn, but this is like getting a grade on every post. Guess I need a class in tidefan posting. Did not know there is a certain format that should always be used, this may not be the place for me. :rolleyes:
Moderators are strict about that. Just trying to help you out here. Whole point of that is to make it easier for the readers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

LoL. Harbaugh makes 600k more than Urban Meyer and Meyer is so much better coach.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I'm currently not an Alabama resident but if I were, I would only have rights to complain about the $245k. If all these other sources, i.e., not taxpayer funds, want to give CNS the keys to Fort Knox who am I to complain? They can give him all the money they have for all I care.
I am a resident of Alabama and believe that Nick Saban is worth many times more than his $11+ million dollar salary, even if the state were paying it all. In fact, it's difficult to estimate his value: 25 mil, 50 mil, 100 mil ? It is not just the entire athletic dept or the enrollment, but the goodwill, the image, sense of well being of much of the state's population, on and on. His football program is the face of the University and to some extent the state as a whole. George Denny and Robert Witt were right and even they could never have imagined what Saban has done.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Not only that, but the athletic department tends to run on a surplus, meaning they are not only funding themselves but other things as well. This is a rather unique circumstance, but Alabama taxpayers have nothing to complain about. This isn't like South Alabama or UAB where tens of millions are being flushed on a regular basis.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

TideFans is the best Alabama board on the 'net precisely because of consistently enforced rules.

It is a benevolent dictatorship, not a democracy, and that's not a negotiable point.

Kind of parallel to what Saban told Julio Jones in his home visit: TideFans will be the best with or without you.

You've made some good points in your brief but prolific time here. I'd like for you to stay.

But if the rules are too stringent for you, I'd be happy to recommend at least one other board that might offer a more lenient atmosphere.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I found this portion of the CNS article particularly amazing....

"Alabama ensures the quality of much of its student body the same way that Saban ensures the competitiveness of his football team — with aggressive recruiting and liberal offers of scholarships. Alabama reports 41% of its incoming class scored 30 or higher on the ACT (versus 13% in 2006) while 34% had a GPA of 4.0 or higher in high school (versus 17% in 2006)."

That ACT % is eyepopping!! Not to derail the subject but does the UofA have stricter enrollment qualification now or is the ACT somehow easier?

Just at my H.S. when I graduated many of my friends who applied scored between 18-23 and had GPA's less than 3.5 factoring in weighted classes.

I was in the Top 10 and while we all had GPA's over 4.0 only 6 of us scored 30 or higher on the ACT. Only 2 of us Applied to UA....the other 4 went Ivy League, Stanford, and West Point.

I'm just blown away by those numbers. 41% incoming scored 30 or higher?? FORTY-ONE%??!!

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I think it's a little of a lot of things.

I graduated from Tuscaloosa High School in 1977, in a class of over 600. Took Latin, Calculus, Chemistry, Physics...got a high school education that stood up to the finest prep schools the eastern seaboard has to offer.

There were six tied for the top GPA at 4.0 (GPAs higher than 4.0 weren't awarded in the dark ages).

There were fewer than a dozen with ACTs of 30+.

Some of it is test prep -- we had none...just got up early one Saturday, walked in bleary-eyed and took it. Some is the test itself is easier. Some is is attracting better recruits with better scholarship money and light-years better classrooms, labs, support services, etc.

Regardless of what caused what, in which proportions, the University of Alabama is better today in every single metric than it has ever been.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

"Alabama ensures the quality of much of its student body the same way that Saban ensures the competitiveness of his football team — with aggressive recruiting and liberal offers of scholarships. Alabama reports 41% of its incoming class scored 30 or higher on the ACT (versus 13% in 2006) while 34% had a GPA of 4.0 or higher in high school (versus 17% in 2006)."

That ACT % is eyepopping!! Not to derail the subject but does the UofA have stricter enrollment qualification now or is the ACT somehow easier?

Just at my H.S. when I graduated many of my friends who applied scored between 18-23 and had GPA's less than 3.5 factoring in weighted classes.

I was in the Top 10 and while we all had GPA's over 4.0 only 6 of us scored 30 or higher on the ACT. Only 2 of us Applied to UA....the other 4 went Ivy League, Stanford, and West Point.

I'm just blown away by those numbers. 41% incoming scored 30 or higher?? FORTY-ONE%??!!
Not necessarily stricter, just more applicants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

The tight yet respectful control the Mods use here on TF's, is exactly what makes it hands down, the absolute best Bama message board on the net..

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Some of it is test prep -- we had none...just got up early one Saturday, walked in bleary-eyed and took it. Some is the test itself is easier. Some is is attracting better recruits with better scholarship money and light-years better classrooms, labs, support services, etc.

Regardless of what caused what, in which proportions, the University of Alabama is better today in every single metric than it has ever been.
LOL....I hear you there. I graduated from my HS in 1996 and even though we did have test prep, I was arrogant the 1st time I took the test.

I just went in stone cold groggy on a Saturday just like you describe and came out eventually with a sobering 27. I was both humbled and not pleased with myself. I purchased a BUNCH of prep materials and re-tested a few months later to get my score up.

As for the University of Alabama, I agree that it is without question better than ever. Those improved levels of Academics are just unbelievable. I think a lot of it does circle back to CNS and the football program as well. He has made the University more attractive and appealing than ever before.

Those numbers have to primarily be a result of a HUGE spike in the total number of kids applying with high ACT scores including increased out-of-state enrollee's. I just can't see the ACT's standards dropping enough to account for the number of 30+ scores to basically triple.

IOW's Coach Nick Saban deserves every single dime and dollar he's paid and then some. He's the best investment UA has ever made hands down. The overall improvements in National Image, Athletics AND Academics are just staggering. Let's be honest he's probably closer to still being underpaid than overpaid!!!

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Posted a link to the (assumed) article. Fixed the title as best I could.

If you don't want to abide by the rules we can just delete the next one.

I, for one, appreciate that you brought the article to our attention. We only ask that you show respect to your fellow TideFans by making a clear thread title and posting a link (if you can copy and paste this is easy - if not, ask someone and we can help/teach you).

I don't think that's too much to ask.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

I do not believe that 41% of the students scored 30 or higher on the ACT. It is much higher than it used to be for sure but that number is hard for me to believe.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.