Alabama By The Numbers - Week 8

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
"Stats are like swimsuits, they conceal as much as they reveal."
- Rick Majerus, ESPN commentator and long-time University of Utah basketball coach.
-----------------
Yes, it’s:
Alabama By The Numbers. Week 8

Those of you (if any) who follow these posts probably remember that I'm following selected Statistical categories reported by the NCAA. For each stat category I try to give our upcoming opponents, as well as the SEC and NCAA leaders.

As always, my source is the official NCAA stat pages as posted on the web (link below). If anyone finds any typo's - my apologies.

I start with a table comparing Alabama's SEC and National rankings with those of our next opponent, then I give a breakdown for each stat category I follow, showing the National and SEC Leaders, along with our upcoming opponents. In the summary table I show you how our average rankings compare to last year, as well as to our last Two NC teams - 2012 and 2015.

So we've past the mid-way point. It goes by SO FAST!!! And the team has steadily improved - from an average National rank of 48.5, to 26.1 - a Substantial leap! Our current numbers are Slightly better than they were at this point last year, Significantly better than this point in 2015, and approaching the lofty heights of 2012!

So here goes. Enjoy!

As I still can't figure out how to post spreadsheet data directly to the board, I am again offering links (and technical help would be appreciated!)

Links:

WEB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...6HqOcXAFzb/pubhtml?gid=1818912369&single=true

PDF: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Fzb/pub?gid=1818912369&single=true&output=pdf

NZAA Source:
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/

Roll Tide!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Bonus Stat!

"Surprise, Surprise!"

Alabama remains near the bottom in "Opponent Penalties" - #120 out of 130.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalties-per-game

Bama's opponents are flagged an average of 4.5 times per game.

By was of comparison, Neuter Damned's opponents average 8.4 flags per game.
Normally, I might argue that if your opponents are being penalized like there's no tomorrow, then you are likely playing much less talented teams. Not terribly surprising for Notre Dame.

We could make a bit of that argument in the opposite direction with Bama's opponents. It's possible maybe the SEC is not as down as many think but yeah, a couple of teams we have played (namely, Ole Miss) are just God awful. So, in my opinion, the evidence points in the direction that refs are not looking for penalties for our opponents as nearly as they are looking for them from us.

Or maybe they're just not looking for them at all from our opponents (I don't feel like we're overly penalized ourselves -- though it is now common place for us to get a PI called against us for barely a reason).

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Normally, I might argue that if your opponents are being penalized like there's no tomorrow, then you are likely playing much less talented teams. Not terribly surprising for Notre Dame.

We could make a bit of that argument in the opposite direction with Bama's opponents. It's possible maybe the SEC is not as down as many think but yeah, a couple of teams we have played (namely, Ole Miss) are just God awful. So, in my opinion, the evidence points in the direction that refs are not looking for penalties for our opponents as nearly as they are looking for them from us.

Or maybe they're just not looking for them at all from our opponents (I don't feel like we're overly penalized ourselves -- though it is now common place for us to get a PI called against us for barely a reason).
I guess I remain fairly cynical about this. I know there's a TON of "Alabama Fatigue" out there - and it pretty much affects everyone who's not an Alabama fan; and ref's are human, they can't be expected to be immune from it.

I guess it just gets "old" to see us flagged any time one of our DB's makes almost any early contact - yet minutes later the same crew "misses" our receivers being blatantly held, hooked, jersey's puled, etc..... And don't even get me started on the fiasco of "Holding"!!! ....... :mad:

At least our OL has learned to kick their heads back when a defender shoves them in the throat or face. Kinda tough to ignore an OL being pushed backwards by his chin.....

As a more general observation - I think its telling that our overall numbers are as good as they are - when you consider that some of our starters are playing only 2-1/2 quarters in several games, and almost none are seeing the field for more than 3 quarters most weeks.

Can anyone even REMEMBER a time that Alabama was #6 in Scoring Offense?

We are Literally LESS than One Point (0.8 pts/game) from being #3 in the NATION in Scoring Offense. That just floors me.

We ARE #1 Nationally in Total Defense - and in Scoring Defense we are only 0.2 pts/game behind the #1 team, Penn State. (9.8 vs. 9.6 pts per game)

True, its not like we've been playing "Murderer's Row", but we haven't played 8 FCS opponents either.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
So I did a comparison of top 4 teams and their scoring defense and scoring offense. 3 of the top 4 teams ranked by the AP poll are 3 of the top 4 in scoring defense also. None of the top 5 in scoring offense are ranked in the top 4. So scoring defense seems to be a greater indicator of being a top ranked team than scoring offense. Alabama had the highest scoring offense of the top 4 ranked teams at 6th place in scoring offense. The only of the top 4 teams ranked nationally that was not top ranked in scoring defense was TCU ( BIG12 go figure)

WildTusk

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 26, 2009
Bonus Stat!

"Surprise, Surprise!"

Alabama remains near the bottom in "Opponent Penalties" - #120 out of 130.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalties-per-game

Bama's opponents are flagged an average of 4.5 times per game.

By was of comparison, Neuter Damned's opponents average 8.4 flags per game.

I wonder if this affect is due to the Bama Defense being so good and our Time of Possession being so high. I feel like there is a lot more % penalties when you are the offense versus being defense (gut feel). If our opponents are playing offense less often than average it could sway the amount of penalties against the other team.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.