Poll: Steve Sarkisian Under Fire in Atlanta - did Bama Dodge A Bullet Here?

Did Bama Dodge a Bullet by Sark Going to Atlanta?

• Yes, we lucked out

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • No, I believe Sark would have done well at Bama

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
It may be my lack of offensive knowledge, but I'm ecstatic with Daboll. I don't think his entire offense is in place yet, partially due to him feeling out our QB's strengths and weaknesses. We have our toughest games coming up so we'll see.

I also think our fans have been extremely picky about our offense this year, but that's part of the territory when you have the weapons we do.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Correction. He wasn't organized in his play calling using Kiffin's book against Clemson...
Nobody was talking about Hurts... Not sure why you're bringing him up.
To be clear, nothing personal, not trying to accuse you of things you didn't say, etc...

I was just drawing the comparison to the fact that I think some people were left with a sour taste in their mouth and wanted to assign blame. To me, there were a lot of reasons for the loss, a lot of them. But if you absolutely had to blame someone it would be Kiffin, and I'm even willing to give him a mulligan because his play calling the year before was stellar and without that I don't think Alabama would have overcome Watson. That guy threw for 405 yards and 4 TDs and Kiffin's offense still came out on top.

It may be my lack of offensive knowledge, but I'm ecstatic with Daboll. I don't think his entire offense is in place yet, partially due to him feeling out our QB's strengths and weaknesses. We have our toughest games coming up so we'll see.
To me, I think the whole who would have been better at Alabama thing is still up in the air. Alabama's toughest games are ahead of them and none of us will have any cause to complain with how things turned out if Alabama keeps winning, that's for sure.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Some of you clearly didn't watch Atlanta in 2015. I guess that Kyle Shanahan sucked as an OC, too. Oh, wait...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Some of you clearly didn't watch Atlanta in 2015. I guess that Kyle Shanahan sucked as an OC, too. Oh, wait...
They made a marked improvement on the OL between 2015 and 2016. Not sure what happened because I don't follow the Falcons THAT closely but Ryan spent a lot of 2015 on his butt or on the run.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I don't know about a bullet dodge. Only Boris can do that;)

What I thought of is that Bama's situation is like breaking up with an idiot girlfriend just as the cheerleader your mom likes moves back to town. Daboll is a huge upgrade from Kiffin and Sark, at least at Alabama because I don't hear anyone wishing we had more bubble screens and less power running. Momma's happy.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't know about a bullet dodge. Only Boris can do that;)

What I thought of is that Bama's situation is like breaking up with an idiot girlfriend just as the cheerleader your mom likes moves back to town. Daboll is a huge upgrade from Kiffin and Sark, at least at Alabama because I don't hear anyone wishing we had more bubble screens and less power running. Momma's happy.
This is my favorite movie reference of all time. Thank you

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
To be clear, nothing personal, not trying to accuse you of things you didn't say, etc...

I was just drawing the comparison to the fact that I think some people were left with a sour taste in their mouth and wanted to assign blame. To me, there were a lot of reasons for the loss, a lot of them. But if you absolutely had to blame someone it would be Kiffin, and I'm even willing to give him a mulligan because his play calling the year before was stellar and without that I don't think Alabama would have overcome Watson. That guy threw for 405 yards and 4 TDs and Kiffin's offense still came out on top.

To me, I think the whole who would have been better at Alabama thing is still up in the air. Alabama's toughest games are ahead of them and none of us will have any cause to complain with how things turned out if Alabama keeps winning, that's for sure.
I get what you're saying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Since the FSU game has been brought up, I should probably point out that Alabama put up less yards against FSU than any other FSU opponent. Now, we all know Alabama demoralized them, but even Duke had more yards against them.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I think he would have done OK. But not great. In my mind, what CNS did by letting LK go and promoting SS quickly, I thought was a good move. I did not get the feeling that LK would have done better (esp. since he was looking ahead to his next job).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Since the FSU game has been brought up, I should probably point up that Alabama put up less yards against FSU than any other FSU opponent. Now, we all know Alabama demoralized them, but even Duke had more yards against them.
And we still have Mississippi State, LSU and Auburn(also Georgia in the SECCG) left all of which have higher ranked total and scoring defenses than FSU. We will see how good of an OC Dabo really is in the 2nd half of the season.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Daboll is probably not the reason we are 8-0; but he might be a big reason we make it to 15-0

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Daboll runs an offense like a man who has worked with highly structured, demanding bosses his entire adult life. I have minor quibbles about his adjustments in-game but he does always seem to adjust. For example, he probably let Tennessee get away with having every defender within 10-yards of the LOS on standard downs for too long but it was almost like he lured them into the trap I guess. When he did adjust in the later stages of the 2nd quarter, it was decisive and exactly what the defense demanded be called.
Don't you think that other quarterback where he used to work wouldn't need someone to tell him to change the play? He's been on the sidelines with Tom Brady. Might not be used to changing things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
And we still have Mississippi State, LSU and Auburn(also Georgia in the SECCG) left all of which have higher ranked total and scoring defenses than FSU. We will see how good of an OC Dabo really is in the 2nd half of the season.
Exactly, I'm not trying to judge him too much on the basis of the FSU game. That was his first game at Alabama, first game at a meaningful position in college, first time calling plays in a long time. I'm willing to accept that he's still evolving as a coordinator. I've said it before, but I don't know the master plan. We'll find out eventually what he's capable of, but so far it's looked best when he's bludgeoning inferior opponents. That won't work all the time.

I also think the way things ended left a sour taste in people's mouths, in terms of Sark/Kiffin, but that doesn't mean either did a bad job (the exception being Kiffin late last season). I mean, we can give a lot of excuses for the struggles, but against Clemson Alabama put up 376 yards and 31 points. That's better than Alabama did a couple times this year (FSU and Texas A&M). The key though isn't running all over teams that have no chance, the key is what you do when you face a dangerous opponent.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I am not sure we dodged anything. I think Bama took that bullet in the national championship game last season vs. Clemson. I think Bama dodged a long-term bullet, yes, but it's not like we got out totally unscathed.

Although upon further reading...

Completely agree with this. Sark gets a ton of flack for that NCCG(and deserves some) but the guy was put in a really tough spot.
I don't disagree with this.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.