Poll: Steve Sarkisian Under Fire in Atlanta - did Bama Dodge A Bullet Here?

Did Bama Dodge a Bullet by Sark Going to Atlanta?

• Yes, we lucked out

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • No, I believe Sark would have done well at Bama

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I alluded a couple of times to lack of talent on his rosters. The problem is of course that the results were awful as well. 4 years as an OC, with 3 different teams and the best he ever did was middle of the pack once. His offenses were dead last or nearly dead last a couple of times from what I recall. I'm not trying to bash him though, but there's no way to call him a successful OC and he hadn't been an OC for four years. This is relevant, especially if one is going to bash Sark for his middle of the pack offense in Atlanta. I can point to past success from Sark and go ok, I know he can do this. I can't do that with Daboll, so I can't make the leap to judge Sark and somehow at the same time praise Daboll.

I'm basically saying the same exact things I said before the start of the season mind you. Daboll isn't a proven commodity, Sark probably wasn't a good fit for the Falcons. Now, I have also said that lack of success in the NFL does not mean failure in college! I've said that about Sark, and I say it about Daboll to. What I hope and what I'm sure everyone here hopes is that Daboll can handle the heat when the season gets tougher.
I wasn't entering the overall debate, just pointing out just how dreadful his circumstances were. I don't think anyone, certainly not me, has declared Daboll a proven commodity. But, as I said, Bill Walsh would have struggled with what Daboll had to work with. I mean look at those franchises, head coaches and especially QBs, they were the bottom of the barrel. They were horrid. Thus, IMO, his NFL OC tenure was indeterminate.

Daboll's NFL experience and Sarkisian's limited experience are quite different. Daboll took horrid raw material and turned out a bad product. Sarkisian has taken very good raw material and turned out a mediocre product. But 7 games is too early to pronounce final judgment.

Having said that, I agree that it's impossible to make an evaluation based on Sarkisian's 1 game "tenure" at Bama. In the NC game, the execution was not good. There were dropped passes, bad pass pro and bad throws. That's not on Sarkisian. Play calling in any game can be improved in retrospect. I can't be too critical of it myself.

I think what Kiffin did at Bama was probably needed based on the talent, especially QB and OL, at the time, but I much prefer Daboll's approach over his or Sarkisian's. Whether Bama's O is considered a success by the end of the season may or may not be on Daboll. We'll see. I know one thing, if Bama doesn't win the NC, he will be blasted whether he deserves it or not. He may get some credit if they win :). As Jalen or Sarkisian might say, "Scapegoats are an integral part of Bama fandom. There must be someone to blame, it's always somebody's fault; and we must harp on it in perpetuity. :)"

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I wasn't at all disappointed when Sark left. And the reason we're 8-0 is because of CNS, CJP and the entire defense. And I hope ST's drastically improves before December. PLEASE!
Do you just mean punt returns ? Except for mediocre KO returns, other STs have performed very well.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I will say this regarding the Falcons, 2 years ago all the fans hated Shanahan. Last year, everyone loved him. Could the Falcons turn it around next year? Who knows? This year, Sark stinks something awful.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The only thing I keep going back to with Sark and the championship game, after Bo got hurt, we completely abandoned the run.
for the life of me, i could not understand this. bo was getting consistent yardage and i'm sure damien or jacobs could have at least extended a couple of drives.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
for the life of me, i could not understand this. bo was getting consistent yardage and i'm sure damien or jacobs could have at least extended a couple of drives.
Yea this was pretty baffling. The playcalling in the 2nd half in general was pretty bizarre.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Yea this was pretty baffling. The playcalling in the 2nd half in general was pretty bizarre.
And it still took a last second play to beat us. I was not happy with plays last year either but Saban has final call and I trust him to know way more than me or anyone here, he is after all a 5 time NC and makes 11 million this year. Anyone here trump that? Is he perfect no, did the team miss plays,yes. In hindsight it is easy to see stuff, in game on sideline it is a lot different. Many things none of us see he sees. I still defer to the staff. Cannot win every game, but lets hope we make up for it this year. We are still the best thing going in college football right now so the staff knows something.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
And it still took a last second play to beat us. I was not happy with plays last year either but Saban has final call and I trust him to know way more than me or anyone here, he is after all a 5 time NC and makes 11 million this year. Anyone here trump that? Is he perfect no, did the team miss plays,yes. In hindsight it is easy to see stuff, in game on sideline it is a lot different. Many things none of us see he sees. I still defer to the staff. Cannot win every game, but lets hope we make up for it this year. We are still the best thing going in college football right now so the staff knows something.
And a last second illegal pick play, at that. ;)

In a way, Sark's situation sorta/kind reminded me of Bruce Arians. Remember him? He's vilified at UA. OC for one tragic season (which was NOT all his fault!!!), capped off by ONE play that went horribly wrong against the barn. Bama fans consider him one of the worst OC's we've ever had. And yet, his career in the NFL has been stellar.

Maybe Sark's experience will be similar - maybe he will find a "place" somewhere and excel. You never know.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
And a last second illegal pick play, at that. ;)

In a way, Sark's situation sorta/kind reminded me of Bruce Arians. Remember him? He's vilified at UA. OC for one tragic season (which was NOT all his fault!!!), capped off by ONE play that went horribly wrong against the barn. Bama fans consider him one of the worst OC's we've ever had. And yet, his career in the NFL has been stellar.

Maybe Sark's experience will be similar - maybe he will find a "place" somewhere and excel. You never know.
Agree.
Aside: I don't blame anyone, not Arians or Scissum, for that play. IMO, AU just made a great play. Just like the '13 AU game. Saban was being aggressive, Griffith had made those in practice before, and who is overly concerned about a run back ? Surely, no can blame Griffith for being short on a 58 yd FG. AU just made a great play. IMO, AU would have likely won OT, they had all of the momentum. But who knows, Saban is usually aggressive, which is good.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I will say this regarding the Falcons, 2 years ago all the fans hated Shanahan. Last year, everyone loved him. Could the Falcons turn it around next year? Who knows? This year, Sark stinks something awful.

Haven't watched the Falcons, in probably 20 years, but...............

Could it be that Ryan is playing to his level, and last year was a fluke? Somehow, that sounds to be the most likely scenario.

(Not that Sark is without blame.)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Could it be that Ryan is playing to his level, and last year was a fluke? Somehow, that sounds to be the most likely scenario.
Where ever you fall on this issue, one thing is indisputable. Ryan had a career year last year. There's a reason they call it that, and it's not because you go out and do it again the next year.

In 2016 Matt Ryan threw for 4,944 yards, a 69.9 completion percentage, 9.26 average, 38 TDs, and only 7 INTs. With the exception of the 6 INTs he has this year, those were all career bests. The end result was a 117 rating, compared to his average of 93.5. It is the only season he even broke 100. So, his 89.3 this year is a lot closer to his normal production than what we saw last year, that's for sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.