Game Thread: OSU vs Penn St

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: OSU and Penn ST

I can forgive a lot.

I cannot look past what State Penn essentially endorsed by silence for too long. I CANNOT bring myself to pull for that school, particularly with the idiots still trying to rebuild the image of Joe Pa(thetic).

I just can't do it, okay? I can't. Yeah, there's some good people there, but the tail wagged that dawg way too damned long for me.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Ped St is PA's version of the barn. That alone is reason enough to hope they lose.

(They are just lucky there is no credible in-state rival. Sorry, armPITT is not credible, save for the Majors years. Sherrill doesn't count.)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

OSU has a decided advantage in talent. That is a fact. But ..... Urban has dropped a few games he should have won in the past couple of years. This game will tell me if Urban has lost his mojo or not. In my mind Urban can't be the second best HC in America if he loses the Big Ten again this year.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

"Good" football is a relative term...two really bad teams that are evenly matched could be a "good" football game. :)
As a buddy of mine always says, you only get a good game between good teams. You can have a close game that may be entertaining between bad teams, but you can only have a good game when good teams play. Just because a game may be close or entertaining, does not mean that you are watching good football. Today, I am hoping for both. I want to see good football between evenly matched teams. Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

"Good" football is a relative term...two really bad teams that are evenly matched could be a "good" football game. :)
FL vs Michigan early this season gave us a bad read for both teams. We assumed both were very good. Turns out that both have horrid offenses.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Last I heard, The weather is supposed to be heinous. Not sure JTB is a mudder. BIG?
I think that bad weather helps OSU more than PSU. They have a slashing running game, where we have a power running game. They throw deep down the field where we throw closer to the LOS. But it is supposed to stop raining a few hours before the game, so it won't really be a bad weather game.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

The game itself should be close.

Not a fan of OSU, but I want Franklin and Penitentiary U to lose every game ever until they show contrition and then I want them to lose some more.

Which OSU team will show up today?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Not defending penn st by any means, but to blame Franklin is crazy. He had zero to do with penn st scandal. Yet he has taken a team back to the top on the field. After the scandal most thought they would be decades in recovery. What Franklin has done is amazing. Does penn st have more to do to rectify years of over looking the mess they allowed to go on, yes. But none of this staff or players were there, so I will not lay that on them. The admin is another story. I do not blame the son for the sins of the father, these players and staff had no more to do with that scandal than I did. Besides admin though many of their fans make me sick how they still defend penn st. BUT admin and fans are not working hard and winning games, kids and staff are doing that,and I applaud them for that, nothing else.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Not defending penn st by any means, but to blame Franklin is crazy. He had zero to do with penn st scandal. Yet he has taken a team back to the top on the field. After the scandal most thought they would be decades in recovery. What Franklin has done is amazing. Does penn st have more to do to rectify years of over looking the mess they allowed to go on, yes. But none of this staff or players were there, so I will not lay that on them. The admin is another story. I do not blame the son for the sins of the father, these players and staff had no more to do with that scandal than I did. Besides admin though many of their fans make me sick how they still defend penn st. BUT admin and fans are not working hard and winning games, kids and staff are doing that,and I applaud them for that, nothing else.
I don't really care - the fans and school administration still think that they were blameless in the child rapes that occurred there. You can look for sunshine there if you want - all I see is an evil darkness.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

You obviously don't remember when 3 Vanderbilt players, under then HC James Franklin gang raped a Vanderbilt student and filmed the rape. Then Franklin and a couple of his assistant coaches attempt to meet with the victim to try to cover up what happened. He then bolts to PSU leaving his team in the lurch while his 3 players are found guilty and are serving time. He fostered an arrogant, win at all cost culture at Vanderbilt and of course that is just what PSU needed. He is a scumbag.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Not defending penn st by any means, but to blame Franklin is crazy. He had zero to do with penn st scandal.
To be fair, I'm not blaming Franklin for what he didn't do - but I simply CANNOT pull for PSU for what they aided and abetted.

Saying "I cannot pull for Penn State" is not saying "James Franklin is to blame."

Yet he has taken a team back to the top on the field. After the scandal most thought they would be decades in recovery. What Franklin has done is amazing. Does penn st have more to do to rectify years of over looking the mess they allowed to go on, yes. But none of this staff or players were there, so I will not lay that on them.

No, but the last time I looked you STILL have players who played for Paterno who just don't bleeping get it.

It's one thing for those players to have fond memories of their time under Paterno. As nobody in the world is all good or all bad (Jesus excepted), there is no doubt Joe Paterno DID have a positive influence on the lives of many young men. That Kerry Collins or Todd Blackledge count Paterno a positive influence on their own lives is understandable.

What is totally inexcusable is nearly 325 players from Penn State history:
a) wanting a statue put back up for the man
b) supporting a lawsuit against the NCAA
c) giving the man a standing ovation last year (the fans at a damn football game)

The minions at Penn State are wanting to have their cake and eat it, too. They want to talk about all the good Paterno did and (follow me here) how much control he exercised over things because he kept them off probation and they won "the right way," but then they want me at the same time to believe the man: a) had no idea what was going on (a demonstrable lie); and b) even if he did, there's nothing he could have done about it.

I'm sorry, but if Joe Paterno REALLY cared about pedophilia more than his football team, he was powerful enough to have marched right into Graham Spanier's office after firing Sandusky and tell Spanier what he heard. This Jay Paterno - who is a five-year running champion of Needs To Be Smacked In The Face With A Tube Sock Full of Wooden Screws - straw man about how Paterno's only obligation was to report it and he did doesn't cut it with me.

Not when Paterno (like Bryant and others) was the best-known and most powerful official in the state who could have ended the abuse IF he really wanted to. (No, he couldn't undo the past abuse, but he could have prevented it years before it stopped).

Here's an SI article on Paterno from 2002.

I want you to note a key portion of it:

"Paterno is the most powerful person on campus, and no person or committee that tried to force him to retire could survive the wrath of his supporters."

They couldn't fire him for losing football seasons because he was so powerful. You don't get to try the "he couldn't stop it" nonsense. Sorry, not working on me or anyone with a brain.

Paterno could have walked into Spanier's office at any time. And we know he knew about it then so......he could actually have enhanced his stature (and folks would have said "he lost some games because of the turmoil, but he did the right thing").....and he'd still have a statue.

I don't think Paterno's players are being intentionally insensitive, but it's clear they can't possibly understand the issue. I'd be curious as to how many PSU players have come out against Paterno publicly with an "I had a great time and learned a lot, but I can't get those kids out of my mind."

The admin is another story.
The admin couldn't fire Paterno because of his cult. Paterno was more powerful than they. That's wrong and blows up every time, but let's not pretend that because the admin was wrong that Paterno was in any way right.

I do not blame the son for the sins of the father,
Me, neither - Jay Paterno isn't to blame for his Dad aiding and abetting a pedophile, I agree.

these players and staff had no more to do with that scandal than I did. Besides admin though many of their fans make me sick how they still defend penn st. BUT admin and fans are not working hard and winning games, kids and staff are doing that,and I applaud them for that, nothing else.
The players make that choice when they go there. It's not like they don't know Penn State's reputation.

It's sorta like going to work for a crazy executive who lies all the time about everything and then being shocked that he lies to you while you're working for him. It's like sleeping with the girl with herpes when you know it - the players now KNEW the reputation.

James Franklin and the current players are NOT to blame for what happened years ago, but I don't want to see Penn State take home any money from the success after: a) what they permitted; and b) how they've handled it.

They need a better PR guy to tell the old players to go screw themselves and let them try to rebuild from the carnage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.