Florida St currently getting mudstomped at BC

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have been searching for an official 2017 strength of schedule and I can't find one. It appears ESPN, CBS, USA/TODAY, Athlon and etc., ect. all have their own SOS and they all are different. So, strength of schedule can be whatever the CFP committee decides it is.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Once again, let me say I NEVER SAID BAMA WAS IN DANGER THIS YEAR. But what happens when Bama is 12-1? That Ohio Sate vs TCU deal -- which SOS are we taking about? Right now I know of three different ones. I do remember TCU being ranked higher than Baylor and the argument was TCU played an FCS team and Ohio State did not.

Is there an official SOS the committee uses? If so, which one is it?
No the argument was “ why is TCU crowned co champions while Baylor won the head to head”. The Big XII knew tOSU was going to get in over Baylor so they made TCU look better. The argument for FCS teams was a very very small point of emphasis in the TCU debate.

For your Bama on the bubble hypothetical it is impossible to answer without a few questions.

1) is the SEC represented
2) is Bama the SEC champ
3) what is ND’s record
4) who is the other conference on the bubble
5) what is the other conference’s best team
6) what was their schedule

In that order of importance.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Not a ND fan by any measure...but seriously?
YES last title was in 1988, they were good pre 1950, before most here were born. Again dead serious, they ruled when there were maybe 4 teams of any significance. Their NC tally is small, unless you count the pre war ones LOL What have they done that other teams match yet get no accolades for? Sorry I just do not see it. Can you point to anything they have done to garner such praise today? I see princeton was multi national champs back then, no one heaps praise on them now, as they are also irrelevant today.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
YES last title was in 1988, they were good pre 1950, before most here were born. Again dead serious, they ruled when there were maybe 4 teams of any significance. Their NC tally is small, unless you count the pre war ones LOL What have they done that other teams match yet get no accolades for? Sorry I just do not see it. Can you point to anything they have done to garner such praise today? I see princeton was multi national champs back then, no one heaps praise on them now, as they are also irrelevant today.

They were good post 1950 too. During Ara Parseghian's tenure alone they won 2 national championships and had a record of 95-17. I dislike Notre Dame, but their legacy is as storied as ours.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
They were good post 1950 too. During Ara Parseghian's tenure alone they won 2 national championships and had a record of 95-17. I dislike Notre Dame, but their legacy is as storied as ours.
My point was modern day, they are not close modern day

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok, buddy, I'm confused here so I hope you can clarify this.

I ASSUME you're speaking of a mythical schedule????

The reason I ask is that you're arguing THIS year's schedule I THINK...

Notre Dame 12-0.
Notre Dame lost to UGA so they couldn't be 12-0. But if you're saying "let's pretend they won," you have problems below.

Miami 13-0.
Again, if you're using THIS YEAR'S schedule, you cannot possibly have an unbeaten Miami AND an unbeaten Notre Dame since they play each other.

TCU 13-0. Ohio State 12-1 (only loss to Oklahoma.) Georgia 12-1 (with a win over Samford, a loss to Auburn and win over Alabama).
Here's where I get totally lost if you're using this year's schedule. UGA already beat Notre Dame, but you have the Irish winning above. If the Irish won then UGA has TWO losses, so even your example is not valid.

Let me see: Which team would the CFP leave out? Ohio State had OC games against Oklahoma, Army and UNLV. Not one FCS team there. So if Strength of Schedule means anything at all, Georgia would be left out. Army is P5, UNLV is G5, and Samford is Jr. College.
UGA beat Notre Dame, though, so I'm guessing they'd go ahead of Notre Dame and in theory ND/Miami could eliminate each other.

Any clarification is appreciated but this particular example as you present it doesn't work.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Sooner or later playing the FCS teams will knock us out of the playoffs when combined with a less than stellar Southeastern Conference.
I actually don't think that game matters as much to the playoff as it did to the computers. The committee seems to center around quality wins. Beating up on #90 or #150 really shouldn't make much difference. The flip side is also that a tough game can completely derail your season, as FSU seems to be proving. So it's a balancing act.

Depends on who you might lose to, and how.
I agree with that. If Alabama loses to LSU or Auburn but beats Georgia, they're in. The issue is that a one loss Alabama (for instance to Georgia) doesn't have the automatic pass right now that they might otherwise have. They probably have the edge on a one loss Pac-12 champ, but as of right now, Notre Dame, along with one loss champs from the Big 12, ACC, and Big 10 could all have an edge in that scenario.

I can guarantee y’all that on CFP rankings this week we will be #1.
The committee operates behind closed doors, so I can't really guarantee anything. But, I can say if Penn State and Georgia win today, both are a threat to be ranked ahead of Alabama.

I remember very well the talk about SOS leading up to Ohio State getting in over TCU and Baylor.
I think you are overestimating the importance of the FCS game and underestimating the importance of quality wins.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
No the argument was “ why is TCU crowned co champions while Baylor won the head to head”. The Big XII knew tOSU was going to get in over Baylor so they made TCU look better. The argument for FCS teams was a very very small point of emphasis in the TCU debate.

For your Bama on the bubble hypothetical it is impossible to answer without a few questions.

1) is the SEC represented
2) is Bama the SEC champ
3) what is ND’s record
4) who is the other conference on the bubble
5) what is the other conference’s best team
6) what was their schedule

In that order of importance.
Uh, I don't think my order of importance really matters, do you?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Uh, I don't think my order of importance really matters, do you?
The playoff was made for 2 purposes. 1) make tons of money and 2) have parity. So without ND in contention the SEC is going to be almost a shoe in to get in unless there are 4 more deserving conference reps, or a crazy turn of events in which results in 2 teams from 1 conference to get in

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Ok, buddy, I'm confused here so I hope you can clarify this.

Originally Posted by BamaInBham
Miami 13-0.

Again, if you're using THIS YEAR'S schedule, you cannot possibly have an unbeaten Miami AND an unbeaten Notre Dame since they play each other.

TCU 13-0. Ohio State 12-1 (only loss to Oklahoma.) Georgia 12-1 (with a win over Samford, a loss to Auburn and win over Alabama).

Here's where I get totally lost if you're using this year's schedule. UGA already beat Notre Dame, but you have the Irish winning above. If the Irish won then UGA has TWO losses, so even your example is not valid.

Let me see: Which team would the CFP leave out? Ohio State had OC games against Oklahoma, Army and UNLV. Not one FCS team there. So if Strength of Schedule means anything at all, Georgia would be left out. Army is P5, UNLV is G5, and Samford is Jr. College.

UGA beat Notre Dame, though, so I'm guessing they'd go ahead of Notre Dame and in theory ND/Miami could eliminate each other.

Any clarification is appreciated but this particular example as you present it doesn't work.
I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I haven't posted in this thread :smile:.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You just proved my point. OSU played Navy, VT and Kent St, ALL FBS. TCU played Minnesota, SMU and SAMFORD. Baylor played SMU, Buffalo and NORTHWESTERN STATE.

The Big 12 was considered lesser than the Big 10 ...... and playing Jr. Colleges did not help their case. I remember very well the talk about SOS leading up to Ohio State getting in over TCU and Baylor.

But wait a second......

Here's an article written at the time about the whole thing:

SOS
TCU 42
Ohio State 52
Baylor 56

I won't dispute your recollection of SOS being invoked for the pro-Ohio State argument, but I CAN tell you it was a media-supported lie. (I have a minimal recall of the specifics because the main thing I recall being said is that Ohio State "lost but they overcame it.")

Let's AGAIN be honest with ourselves, and I think 81 agrees with me on most of this we just part a slight bit on details if I read him correctly.

If TCU was TEXAS and Ohio State was INDIANA or PURDUE.......the outcome would have been exactly opposite of what it was. Texas would have gone and the argument would have been SOS. The REAL reason would have been "Texas brings viewers, Indiana/Purdue doesn't." They can't say this, of course, but that's the reality.

The Big 12 shot itself in the foot by being slick and devious. They did not decide UNTIL LESS THAN A WEEK before the final results to declare TCU and Baylor co-champions. Yes, that group of deep thinkers never once thought, "Hey, what if we have a situation like 2001, 2003, or 2008, where the head-to-head blows up for us?" You see, despite happening three times in eight years, the bozos that run the show are literally clueless idiots.

They came up with...."hey, if we declare BOTH teams champions then maybe we can get TWO teams in the playoff the first year!!!"

The committee, not exactly known for deep thoughts themselves, were smart enough to see through this latex condom of buffoonery and say, "I don't think so, boys."

TCU was NOT hurt by playing Samford. Think about it - even with Samford, their schedule was STILL tougher than Ohio State's was. If they had played, say, Oregon State and trounced them, the margin would have been larger - and Ohio State still would have gone.

I will concur with you that playing the FCS school MIGHT someday cost a team a berth in the playoff. But if it does, it won't be because they played an FCS team, it will be because they LOST to another team.

Alabama is one of the names that never has to worry about this. OU, USC, Notre Dame, Clemson, Ohio State are others who never have to worry about this.

Kentucky would, though.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I won't dispute your recollection of SOS being invoked for the pro-Ohio State argument, but I CAN tell you it was a media-supported lie. (I have a minimal recall of the specifics because the main thing I recall being said is that Ohio State "lost but they overcame it.")
My recollection isn't what yours is, but as I recall Ohio State jumped TCU in quality wins and SoS (at least reputable SoS, I use Sagarin and have a clear recollection of this occurring) by winning their conference championship game.

One thing to remember is the committee uses quality wins as a criteria, and SoS just averages things out. So Ohio State ended up playing two more games than TCU, but SoS doesn't really factor that in beyond averaging in another tough game and that's one flaw SoS has. Ohio State gained a quality win while TCU didn't play. Was the committee supposed to ignore that game? In the end, it wasn't even close. TCU finished with an SoS of 51 and Ohio State with an SoS of 29 (the gap is actually larger than it appears). Now that's skewed, but they simply didn't earn a playoff spot over Ohio State. You don't get deserve more credit for doing less.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.