Florida St currently getting mudstomped at BC

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My recollection isn't what yours is, but as I recall Ohio State jumped TCU in quality wins and SoS (at least reputable SoS, I use Sagarin and have a clear recollection of this occurring) by winning their conference championship game.

One thing to remember is the committee uses quality wins as a criteria, and SoS just averages things out. So Ohio State ended up playing two more games than TCU, but SoS doesn't really factor that in beyond averaging in another tough game. Ohio State gained a quality win while TCU didn't play. Was the committee supposed to ignore that game? In the end, it wasn't even close. TCU finished with an SoS of 51 and Ohio State with an SoS of 29. Now that's skewed, but they simply didn't earn a playoff spot over Ohio State. You don't get deserve more credit for doing less.
Replace TCU with Oklahoma and you and both know the situation changes. TOSU’s final SOS was helped because they played Bama and Oregon, but they had a weaker SOS than TCU on selection Sunday.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My recollection isn't what yours is, but as I recall Ohio State jumped TCU in quality wins and SoS (at least reputable SoS, I use Sagarin and have a clear recollection of this occurring) by winning their conference championship game.
TCU must have has a horrible schedule then, because ours was horrible in 2014. Including beating a #11 Wisconsin in the B1GCG, we played 2 ranked teams. Yeah, the only other ranked team on our schedule in 2014 was MSU.

IMO, we got in because we absolutely killed Wisconsin in the B1GCG while TCU and Baylor played no one, not because of our schedule.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Replace TCU with Oklahoma and you and both know the situation changes. TOSU’s final SOS was helped because they played Bama and Oregon, but they had a weaker SOS than TCU on selection Sunday.
This is almost certainly true.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
TCU must have has a horrible schedule then, because ours was horrible in 2014. Including beating a #11 Wisconsin in the B1GCG, we played 2 ranked teams. Yeah, the only other ranked team on our schedule in 2014 was MSU.

IMO, we got in because we absolutely killed Wisconsin in the B1GCG while TCU and Baylor played no one, not because of our schedule.
And be honest, at least that season, OSU didn't run a gauntlet like Alabama did in the SEC. Our guys were a bit worn out. No way we lose that game if it was played sooner. All that said, tOSU simply out-Bama'd us and earned it. It was something to see.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And be honest, at least that season, OSU didn't run a gauntlet like Alabama did in the SEC. Our guys were a bit worn out. No way we lose that game if it was played sooner. All that said, tOSU simply out-Bama'd us and earned it. It was something to see.
Zeke was incredible in that game, but I have always said that Alabama lost the game when you stopped running Henry. Saban lost that game for Alabama as much as we won it.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Let’s get back on track...FSU is horrible.
Fisher is at the 7 year itch mark with FSU. A lot of mortal coaches not named Saban reach a burnout point around 7 to 10 years. It will be interesting to see in the next couple of years how things go down there especially with the resurgence of Miami.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Ok, buddy, I'm confused here so I hope you can clarify this.

I ASSUME you're speaking of a mythical schedule????

The reason I ask is that you're arguing THIS year's schedule I THINK...

Notre Dame lost to UGA so they couldn't be 12-0. But if you're saying "let's pretend they won," you have problems below.

Again, if you're using THIS YEAR'S schedule, you cannot possibly have an unbeaten Miami AND an unbeaten Notre Dame since they play each other.

Here's where I get totally lost if you're using this year's schedule. UGA already beat Notre Dame, but you have the Irish winning above. If the Irish won then UGA has TWO losses, so even your example is not valid.

UGA beat Notre Dame, though, so I'm guessing they'd go ahead of Notre Dame and in theory ND/Miami could eliminate each other.

Any clarification is appreciated but this particular example as you present it doesn't work.
Sorry for the confusion. I was just throwing some "what ifs" out there. But, according to most people on here (who are adamant about it) SOS means nothing, it is just an excuse to put some cash cow in. So, the SOS part of this thread is just a waste of time and I won't pay any attention to it again.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
but they had a weaker SOS than TCU on selection Sunday.
Not to my recollection, I remember posting about it at the time. Then again I use Sagarin, but while I know it skewed further in Ohio State's favor, Ohio State played a demonstrably tougher schedule prior to the playoff. To reiterate though, SoS doesn't give bonus points for the extra game. No question at all that Ohio State played a tougher schedule.

TCU must have has a horrible schedule then, because ours was horrible in 2014. Including beating a #11 Wisconsin in the B1GCG, we played 2 ranked teams.
The issue with the committee is they don't say why they do everything, but their quality win component is not ranked teams. To give one example, Navy, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Michigan St., Minnesota, and Wisconsin all finished with 8 wins or more. That's 6 wins the committee could consider to be quality wins. You know how many teams TCU played with 8 wins or more? 4 by my count (and they shared one of those with Ohio State)! The quality wins simply were not there! Go look, I have no idea why people are trying to make TCU's schedule tougher than it was, it wasn't very good at all. I don't care what you name a team that played only 4 good teams, it doesn't become a good schedule magically.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Let’s get back on track...FSU is horrible.
You are right, they suck. Now I will have to rethink the FSU game with WF next week. Personally I think he runs an undisciplined program, on and off the field and it has caught up with him. He is underachieving badly. He should have won the ACC every year he has been there -- but he has not.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The issue with the committee is they don't say why they do everything, but their quality win component is not ranked teams. To give one example, Navy, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Michigan St., Minnesota, and Wisconsin all finished with 8 wins or more. That's 6 wins the committee could consider to be quality wins. You know how many teams TCU played with 8 wins or more? 4 by my count! The quality wins simply were not there! Go look, I have no idea why people are trying to make TCU's schedule tougher than it was, it wasn't very good at all.
Like I said - no idea what TCU's schedule looked like (or Baylor's, for that matter). I just know that our schedule was absurdly easy. I thought that Alabama was going to kill us.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Like I said - no idea what TCU's schedule looked like (or Baylor's, for that matter). I just know that our schedule was absurdly easy. I thought that Alabama was going to kill us.
Well, to explain further, I was perplexed the first time I saw the committee's rankings. I alleged some Pac-12 bias initially, but once I saw the way quality wins seem to work in their ranking, it all made sense. That doesn't mean I can or will predict everything they do, they have a lot of leave-way, especially with tie-breakers, but it makes some things rather obvious. I stuck to my guns that Alabama gets in, over a 2 loss Ole Miss and even if they are SEC champs. I said the same for Ohio State last year, they were always going to get in with one loss. They've literally done nothing with their top rankings (I haven't analyzed their lower rankings as much) that wasn't consistent with the way they did things the first year. This includes things like ranking one loss teams over undefeated teams. The committee really likes their quality wins.

So all that fuss of the Big 12 and all those claims, constantly overlooks quality wins. Anyone can go add them up, they'll see the same thing I did. Ohio State had more quality wins. People who try to apply ultra simplistic, AP poll style viewpoints are going to be perplexed. But that's not how the committee works. That's also one reason there is a very real threat that Alabama isn't #1 when the first rankings come out. Their second best win so far is Colorado State. The committee doesn't just value quality wins though, or really tell us what they decide are quality wins, so for this year the first ranking will tell us a lot about how they view particular teams and then things become much more predictable.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
FSU has discounted any effort they put forward when we beat them in Game 1.
Now a victory over FSU means nothing. Shoots hole in our Strength of Schedule... ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.