Jim McElwain Terminated by Florida

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My perspective is not and has not been the LSU perspective. My mentality is a good coach will win at LSU, a good coach will win at Florida, and they'll have all the talent they need to do that even if they are a mildly incompetent recruiters.

It is hard to really separate the skill components, which you seem to speak of, from the natural talent components which I speak of. The coaches job is to carve the rock, as I see it talent is the quality of the rock itself. If we're comparing the current state, part of which is obviously a result of the current LSU coaching staff, I concede that Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama are better off.

In terms of talent itself, what the coaching staff has to work with, the margin is very slim in my opinion. If you go by star ratings, the difference is what, 10%? Even if we stretch that out further, it's not that big a gap. In some cases, no gap at all. What does that gap in actual aptitude equate to when you consider the potential outcome in a game? That 10-20% or what ever? A field goal? A touchdown? LSU is still loaded with 4 stars, if they haven't done much with their unhewn rocks, that's the failure of the craftsmen.

What if at end of last season coaching staffs switched places? If Alabama's entire staff was transported to LSU and vice versa. Does Alabama beat FSU? Probably, but may be not. Does LSU beat Miss. St.? Probably... either way, I'd say there's a good chance that both would be undefeated heading into the matchup. Would the spread be 21? No way. It might still favor Alabama, but it would probably be closer to 3-7 points right? And that's all I'm getting at. I'm just saying the latent potential is still there. And the truth is LSU could give Alabama a tough game if they were focused and prepared properly. Of course they probably won't be.

But that's what underscores my view on recruiting at programs like that, coaching impact, etc... They're going to have talent. They have to be competent enough to turn that into results. I do understand your points in terms of skill, in terms of players being underdeveloped, I'm just assigning blame for that to.
If that was true then where was Florida and LSU pre Saban and Spurrier. I think Bowden and Howard prove why recruiting is key in Florida. I think every Nebraska and Tennessee coach proves how a recruiter is a must to win at those programs.

If you want to argue that recruiting specific 3 stars can be more important than recruiting 5 stars then you may have an argument.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My perspective is not and has not been the LSU perspective. My mentality is a good coach will win at LSU, a good coach will win at Florida, and they'll have all the talent they need to do that even if they are a mildly incompetent recruiters.

It is hard to really separate the skill components, which you seem to speak of, from the natural talent components which I speak of. The coaches job is to carve the rock, as I see it talent is the quality of the rock itself. If we're comparing the current state, part of which is obviously a result of the current LSU coaching staff, I concede that Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama are better off.

In terms of talent itself, what the coaching staff has to work with, the margin is very slim in my opinion. If you go by star ratings, the difference is what, 10%? Even if we stretch that out further, it's not that big a gap. In some cases, no gap at all. What does that gap in actual aptitude equate to when you consider the potential outcome in a game? That 10-20% or what ever? A field goal? A touchdown? LSU is still loaded with 4 stars, if they haven't done much with their unhewn rocks, that's the failure of the craftsmen.

What if at end of last season coaching staffs switched places? If Alabama's entire staff was transported to LSU and vice versa. Does Alabama beat FSU? Probably, but may be not. Does LSU beat Miss. St.? Probably... either way, I'd say there's a good chance that both would be undefeated heading into the matchup. Would the spread be 21? No way. It might still favor Alabama, but it would probably be closer to 3-7 points right? And that's all I'm getting at. I'm just saying the latent potential is still there. And the truth is LSU could give Alabama a tough game if they were focused and prepared properly. Of course they probably won't be.

But that's what underscores my view on recruiting at programs like that, coaching impact, etc... They're going to have talent. They have to be competent enough to turn that into results. I do understand your points in terms of skill, in terms of players being underdeveloped, I'm just assigning blame for that to.
You can't just look at star ratings on a piece of paper and conclude that every 4 or 5 star is super talented. High school players are generally rated on 3 factors: production, projection and physical ability. Some highly rated players are just production monsters who play in a weak high school system and never really pan out in college. Then there's the players who don't have much production or high school tape but are projected to be good college players based on their perceived talent or the high school they're playing at. A lot of those players never live up to the recruiting hype. Last are the Julio type players who just are just oozing with talent and it's pretty clear to see they'll at least be serviceable as a college player but most likely a star and future NFL player. TBH, I'm not that tied in to recruiting to know every player that LSU has signed over the last 4 years but when I watch them play they don't have talented guys who jump off the screen like they used to. At one point they had Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham, Jeremy Hill, Alfred Blue etc on offense. Those guys range from NFL superstars to serviceable players. Same thing on defense. Guys like Patrick Peterson, Eric Reid, Jamal Adams, etc. I've seen a few very early mock drafts (admittedly very early) and Guice and Key are the only LSU guys I've seen projected in the early rounds and those 2 guys have been injured almost all year. So, you take those 2 guys away and IMO you have a very average roster by LSU standards which is what I based my "least talented roster in the last 10 years" comment on..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You can't just look at star ratings on a piece of paper and conclude that every 4 or 5 star is super talented. High school players are generally rated on 3 factors: production, projection and physical ability. Some highly rated players are just production monsters who play in a weak high school system and never really pan out in college. Then there's the players who don't have much production or high school tape but are projected to be good college players based on their perceived talent or the high school they're playing at. A lot of those players never live up to the recruiting hype. Last are the Julio type players who just are just oozing with talent and it's pretty clear to see they'll at least be serviceable as a college player but most likely a star and future NFL player. TBH, I'm not that tied in to recruiting to know every player that LSU has signed over the last 4 years but when I watch them play they don't have talented guys who jump off the screen like they used to. At one point they had Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham, Jeremy Hill, Alfred Blue etc on offense. Those guys range from NFL superstars to serviceable players. Same thing on defense. Guys like Patrick Peterson, Eric Reid, Jamal Adams, etc. I've seen a few very early mock drafts (admittedly very early) and Guice and Key are the only LSU guys I've seen projected in the early rounds and those 2 guys have been injured almost all year. So, you take those 2 guys away and IMO you have a very average roster by LSU standards which is what I based my "least talented roster in the last 10 years" comment on..
According to a lot of LSU fans I know, who are closely tied into the recruiting. They say the same thing. That just from a physical talent standpoint the tiggers are down this year and also very young.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If that was true then where was Florida and LSU pre Saban and Spurrier
I've already addressed Florida. They had a population explosion. As to LSU, the fact is there was a rise in the SEC and southeast in general. It wasn't just LSU, Auburn went to a couple of championship games, Florida did to, all around the time Alabama re-emerged. The southeast as a whole has improved in terms of demographics and at the same time the SEC rose in prestige. Also, I'm not saying recruiting doesn't matter. I'm saying recruiting there is easy.

Simply put, LSU and Florida are not what they used to be. They are programs that now have an abundance of available talent and have to some degree learned how to win. Can they be broken? Can that advantage be wasted? Yes, but Louisiana has so much talent now that LSU sometimes can't even fit all the top talent in the state into their class. Florida, I've said it before but the state can support 3 top ten recruiting classes and 3 top ten teams. So, we're not turning back time. We're talking about current demographics, and what Spurrier and Saban built respectively. Unless someone tears it down, there's no real turning back the clock. Let's make sure we're getting the entire context though. All time LSU is 9 and Florida is 12. That's not just what Spurrier and Saban did, but they are both programs who have been on the rise. They're both top ten programs now with access to top ten talent.

You can't just look at star ratings on a piece of paper and conclude that every 4 or 5 star is super talented. High school players are generally rated on 3 factors: production, projection and physical ability.
We're still getting lost partly in the coaching aspects of the equation. I'm not saying every 4 or 5 star is super talented, but I am saying big and strong is still big and strong. Last time we discussed LSU, I linked to something showing LSU was loaded with blue chips. 65% blue chips! This had them at third. Now your counter is basically they won't all pan out, etc... but I'm saying when you have 55 blue chips, or 50, or 40 even, that you have tons of talent! Now all those aren't going to pan out, yes, but if you reach the point that your product on the field is clearly lacking? You screwed up! That's my point. You seem to be alluding to the results after they screwed up, but I'm saying definitively that the recruiting services didn't miss on all those blue chips, some? Sure, but LSU had over twice as many as Miss. St. for example. The problem isn't lack of physical ability, it's lack of developing and utilizing that ability properly. I'm not saying LSU should be a championship contender mind you, but to my earlier point I'm saying if Saban had that same group of guys they probably wouldn't have lost yet.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Coach Randy Shannon was just on Finebaum and he knocked it out of the park with his composure.

No offense to Coach Mac but a completely different personality and a bit refreshing, if that makes sense.

He didn't come right out and say it, but I got the feeling we may see Malik Zaire as starter this Saturday.

Or at least he may get some significant playing time.

I'm excited! :p

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I saw that, Baz, Coach Shannon was very open and I thought sounded very professional. With his recruiting prowess the next coach should give serious consideration to retaining him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've already addressed Florida. They had a population explosion. As to LSU, the fact is there was a rise in the SEC and southeast in general. It wasn't just LSU, Auburn went to a couple of championship games, Florida did to, all around the time Alabama re-emerged. The southeast as a whole has improved in terms of demographics and at the same time the SEC rose in prestige. Also, I'm not saying recruiting doesn't matter. I'm saying recruiting there is easy.

Simply put, LSU and Florida are not what they used to be. They are programs that now have an abundance of available talent and have to some degree learned how to win. Can they be broken? Can that advantage be wasted? Yes, but Louisiana has so much talent now that LSU sometimes can't even fit all the top talent in the state into their class. Florida, I've said it before but the state can support 3 top ten recruiting classes and 3 top ten teams. So, we're not turning back time. We're talking about current demographics, and what Spurrier and Saban built respectively. Unless someone tears it down, there's no real turning back the clock. Let's make sure we're getting the entire context though. All time LSU is 9 and Florida is 12. That's not just what Spurrier and Saban did, but they are both programs who have been on the rise. They're both top ten programs now with access to top ten talent.

We're still getting lost partly in the coaching aspects of the equation. I'm not saying every 4 or 5 star is super talented, but I am saying big and strong is still big and strong. Last time we discussed LSU, I linked to something showing LSU was loaded with blue chips. 65% blue chips! This had them at third. Now your counter is basically they won't all pan out, etc... but I'm saying when you have 55 blue chips, or 50, or 40 even, that you have tons of talent! Now all those aren't going to pan out, yes, but if you reach the point that your product on the field is clearly lacking? You screwed up! That's my point. You seem to be alluding to the results after they screwed up, but I'm saying definitively that the recruiting services didn't miss on all those blue chips, some? Sure, but LSU had over twice as many as Miss. St. for example. The problem isn't lack of physical ability, it's lack of developing and utilizing that ability properly. I'm not saying LSU should be a championship contender mind you, but to my earlier point I'm saying if Saban had that same group of guys they probably wouldn't have lost yet.
I promise you that any good coach that isn’t great on recruiting is going to get smashed at a Florida school. Just like Mac

In state alone here are some names of some coaches in the state of Florida.

Jimbo
Frost
Kiffin
Davis
Strong
Richt

All are great recruiters. That doesn’t take into account of how many foreign powers like Bama and UGA raid the state. So the wealth of talent is not as abundant as you seem to suggest. Yes development is crucial, but quality of depth is just as important.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Coach Randy Shannon was just on Finebaum and he knocked it out of the park with his composure.

No offense to Coach Mac but a completely different personality and a bit refreshing, if that makes sense.

He didn't come right out and say it, but I got the feeling we may see Malik Zaire as starter this Saturday.

Or at least he may get some significant playing time.

I'm excited! :p
It's funny how differently people can see things. I thought he came across as stale and contradictory. I do hope he gives you guys some excitement to finish the year, though, Bazza. I remember the days of struggling and barely making a bowl game, so I hope you guys can finish strong a make a bowl. If y'all make a good hire, I'm sure it won't be long before y'all are challenging for Atlanta again.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
If a university like the U just recruited Miami Dade and got the players they want, my guess is they would have a top 5 class every year with lots of great players left for other colleges to recruit.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I promise you that any good coach that isn’t great on recruiting is going to get smashed at a Florida school. Just like Mac

In state alone here are some names of some coaches in the state of Florida.

Jimbo
Frost
Kiffin
Davis
Strong
Richt

All are great recruiters. That doesn’t take into account of how many foreign powers like Bama and UGA raid the state. So the wealth of talent is not as abundant as you seem to suggest. Yes development is crucial, but quality of depth is just as important.
First, let's go back to the wealth of talent. As I outlined, Miami, FSU, and Florida all are top ten in NFL players. All three! That's not a suggestion, that's a fact. Similarly, if you look at recruiting rankings, blue chip rankings, that sort of thing you see those three programs around the top ten as well. Mind you, Miami was driven into a ditch and they still recruited and are on the cusp of being back as a national power.

Now, there is context here obviously. If Florida hires Gomer Pyle to be their head coach they'll have issues. But if they get a good coach, he will win there, period. No, Florida is not going to get out recruited by programs that average less than 3 stars in recruiting (that means everyone not named FSU and Miami). That's not going to happen. As of right now UCF has a 2.73 average, South Florida has a 2.29 average, FIU has a 2.17 average, and Florida Atlantic has a 1.96 average. Those programs are not a threat to any SEC powers, and certainly not Florida.

Mind you, Mac won the SEC East two years in a row, and things didn't actually fall apart until he lost a ton of scholarship players due to suspensions. He doesn't even make it through his third season, that's what failure looks like there... that's a high bar. But the fact that you can "fail" and at the same time win 19 games and the SEC East twice in two years is kind of what I'm getting at. If that's bad... or as you put it getting smashed, then winning there sure must be easy.

Some people are talking about Florida and LSU like they are Tennessee and Nebraska. They're not, there is no real similarities there at all in terms of available talent! LSU and Florida are programs that rose in prestige, while Tennessee and Nebraska took a tumble (they can't all be in the top ten after all). Now, due to the demographics, Tennessee and Nebraska have to have a guy who can recruit well to have a shot at returning to national prestige. It isn't the same situation at LSU and Florida.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
First, let's go back to the wealth of talent. As I outlined, Miami, FSU, and Florida all are top ten in NFL players. All three! That's not a suggestion, that's a fact. Similarly, if you look at recruiting rankings, blue chip rankings, that sort of thing you see those three programs around the top ten as well. Mind you, Miami was driven into a ditch and they still recruited and are on the cusp of being back as a national power.

Now, there is context here obviously. If Florida hires Gomer Pyle to be their head coach they'll have issues. But if they get a good coach, he will win there, period. No, Florida is not going to get out recruited by programs that average less than 3 stars in recruiting (that means everyone not named FSU and Miami). That's not going to happen. As of right now UCF has a 2.73 average, South Florida has a 2.29 average, FIU has a 2.17 average, and Florida Atlantic has a 1.96 average. Those programs are not a threat to any SEC powers, and certainly not Florida.

Mind you, Mac won the SEC East two years in a row, and things didn't actually fall apart until he lost a ton of scholarship players due to suspensions. He doesn't even make it through his third season, that's what failure looks like there... that's a high bar. But the fact that you can "fail" and at the same time win 19 games and the SEC East twice in two years is kind of what I'm getting at. If that's bad... or as you put it getting smashed, then winning there sure must be easy.

Some people are talking about Florida and LSU like they are Tennessee and Nebraska. They're not, there is no real similarities there at all in terms of available talent! LSU and Florida are programs that rose in prestige, while Tennessee and Nebraska took a tumble (they can't all be in the top ten after all). Now, due to the demographics, Tennessee and Nebraska have to have a guy who can recruit well to have a shot at returning to national prestige. It isn't the same situation at LSU and Florida.
What I’m getting at is there has never been a recruiting battle in the state of Florida like there is now in the last 20+ years. Kiffin, Strong, and Frost are stealing those “hidden” players that would usually buckle to one of the bigger schools instead of playing for a Joe Schmoe at FAU or UCF. So it’s imperative to have someone that can judge and get that 3 star on the fence. Mac was horrible in that regard. With the wealth of Florida talent you can’t tell me they couldn’t have a serviceable quarterback in 3 years. But this shouldn’t be a surprise since the two qbs to succeed McCarron were a converted running back and a transfer from FLORIDA STATE. Now we have two Kiffin recruits.

As for Miami. That area has a lot of prep football factories, and a lot of talent. Like IMG. The Schellenberger wall made Miami (along with some... well... dirty recruiting). It wasn’t until Spurrier broke the wall when Florida became a power. It basically set the blueprint of how to recruit in Florida. Davis started rebuilding the wall and Florida and State started to suffer, but after Coker the wall fell. Richt has started to build it again and it has started to affect Florida’s recruiting. When that wall is up FSU and UF suffers. I think Miami is in the best position when they have a great recruiter because South Florida talent is the best talent.

No it’s not like Nebraska or Tennessee and I’m not equating it to that. I’m just seeing what you are talking about when you are downplaying recruiting rankings. Now I know.

As far as Mac winning the East twice.... Again with the ridiculous amount luck and Mushchamp’s greatly recruited defense I don’t think much of that is due to Mac’s coaching ability as it is to Mushchamp’s recruiting ability. Also keep this in mind... Gus Won the SEC in his first year. Is he a great or good coach?

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
As far as Mac winning the East twice.... Again with the ridiculous amount luck and Mushchamp’s greatly recruited defense I don’t think much of that is due to Mac’s coaching ability as it is to Mushchamp’s recruiting ability. Also keep this in mind... Gus Won the SEC in his first year. Is he a great or good coach?
Absolutely, they should give him a lifetime contract.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
What I’m getting at is there has never been a recruiting battle in the state of Florida like there is now in the last 20+ years.
My earlier memories are of Steve Spurrier, Bobby Bowden, and who ever showed up at Miami all having national powers, top ten teams, and great recruiting classes. The state had room for Dennis Erickson's great Miami teams (9 losses in 6 years), while Spurrier won SEC titles, and Bowden won conference titles. During that overlapping stretch, (1990-1994), those three coaches won 2 NCs, 9 conference titles (they all weren't even in conferences the whole time), and went 155-27 (of course they were playing each other, so they weren't losing often to teams outside the state). So, when I talk about potential, and talent, and all of that, that's the sort of thing I'm alluding to. The latent potential. Now, may be that won't be duplicated (though you can find other impressive stretches where all three were doing quite well). But, to put things another way, as long as Florida doesn't have the 4th best recruiter in the state, or should I say as long as they have at least the third best, they should be fine. If Florida can't even manage that? That's just sheer ineptitude (they are one of the more attractive jobs in college football). Beyond that, they need a coach who knows how to win. Plenty of coaches win with less talent than Florida can easily get.

As far as Mac winning the East twice.... Again with the ridiculous amount luck and Mushchamp’s greatly recruited defense I don’t think much of that is due to Mac’s coaching ability as it is to Mushchamp’s recruiting ability.?
You bring up Muschamp, and this illustrates the point I was making (sometimes it is easy to talk past each other). If Muschamp is a good recruiter, and McElwain is a bad recruiter, how come Florida has been out recruiting South Carolina? I mean, Muschamp can recruit right? McElwain can't, yet Florida is noticeably ahead in recruiting. That's what I'm getting at. Florida has such a built in advantage, that you don't have to be a great recruiter to still recruit well.

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
They'll look like world beaters this weekend against Missouri. Weak opponent. Playing with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove. Excited to have some new direction and changes. Then they'll come back down to Earth the following week when they play South Carolina.

Or they may struggle to beat Missouri and limp through the remainder of their season. We'll see.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.