Jim McElwain Terminated by Florida

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: Florida boosters are discussing buyout for Mac

I'll be quite flabbergasted if Mac gets fired before Botch.

Monday is still a few days away.................it could be a simultaneous firing, the way it looks now. (Botch is going to lose, as UK takes the lead with 33 seconds left.)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Come on now , what do you expect from UF. I would not be surprised if CJM is ready to leave the swamp. 10 players caught for using stolen credit cards. Its just a mess.
He really has been snakebit during his tenure. arrests, injuries, the works.

That said, he REALLY needs to get rid of Nussmeyer. Nuss reinforces CJM's worst tendencies.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Not ridiculous because He's acting like a guy who wants out. He knows he can't recruit well enough to compete with CNS and Kirby to compete. He doesn't want to get his but kicked repeatedly by friends. He really screwed up if he made up the allegations about the death threats. He is acting like he wants out even if there is no buyout paid. This has Bill Curry written all over it. He could have been a legend at CSU. He seems like someone having a crisis of confidence at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Butch Jones has more to do with those SECE championships than Mac. He is an okay coach, but he is way over his head and stubborn. He played the “hire my friend” game with Nuss. Sure injuries and arrests played a role in his misfortune, but again so did it play a role with Shula. He shouldn’t have referenced the death threats either. So he needs to settle before they fire with cause.

As for the constant reference of his success at CSU. Take into account that Lane Kiffin is probably going to win the Conference USA title with a team that hasn’t been to a bowl since 2008. Would any of you say Kiffin should take over a job like Florida because he is having success at FAU?

For many reasons this hasn’t worked out for Mac, but it’s time to say it’s pretty much time for him to move on.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

EXACTLY, and it doesn't help that this guy is hanging out in your football complex every morning when you show up for work:
Not farfetched at this point to wonder how he'll "work out" as interim HC...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Yep, something else is up IMO
It's no secret, just look at all the news coming from UF all year.

I think his fate was sealed when the 10 players were suspended. Their season was over before it even started. I think the administration sees him as a coach with no control over the program. Then a new AD is hired and they've just been searching for away to not pay his buyout. Then the death threat comments happen and make the admins even more unhappy. Still don't understand how they can fire him with cause because of that but, they view it as their "out."

His post game press conference felt like a farewell speech, it was kind of sad. To be honest, he never felt like a good fit at UF.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Then a new AD is hired and they've just been searching for away to not pay his buyout. Then the death threat comments happen and make the admins even more unhappy. Still don't understand how they can fire him with cause because of that but, they view it as their "out."
Maybe not a total "out", but certainly leverage to get him out, on terms favorable to UF. Not a question of "if", only now or later, and how much they end up paying.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005

Sad for Coach Mac. But in hindsight, a high profile SEC job was never for him. We’ve faced the same in the past, but fortunately, we had Mal Moore to the rescue.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I'm not sure it is a no brainer that Mullen goes to UF. He has a cherry deal at MSU...good money with very low pressure. Florida is chewing up coaches lately and I think there are deep issues to fix before it becomes an attractive place to coach again. I mean, Muschamp was run out of there and quietly he is rebuilding USCe (currently at 6-2). Mac is a good coach. If he is run out of Gainesville he will land on his feet and do a good job somewhere else. I simply think it is going to be impossible for anyone to go to that program and have immediate success until something is flushed out permanently.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Injuries are a part of the game; unfortunately so are suspensions/dismissals. Muschamp was done in by injuries; looks like CJM will be done in by both. Coaches aren't given the luxury of a pass on either one; they still have to win. I think the lizards won at least one or two games these last few years that they really shouldn't have; if they had not won those games, I'm not sure he'd still be there.
I agree with others; it never seemed a good fit.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

And was Mullen's AD at MSU the last 4 years.
BINGO! And Mullen was the OC for Saint Tebow at Florida. I think the FL fans would respond favorably to Mullen returning as HC. A lot of dots already connected there.

Last edited:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

I'm not sure it is a no brainer that Mullen goes to UF. He has a cherry deal at MSU...good money with very low pressure. Florida is chewing up coaches lately and I think there are deep issues to fix before it becomes an attractive place to coach again.
Can definitely agree with this logic; but if Mullen were to ever leave Starkville, wouldn't this probably be the job he would do it for?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Can definitely agree with this logic; but if Mullen were to ever leave Starkville, wouldn't this probably be the job he would do it for?
At this time? Yea, I could see it IF they offered me the moon and a historic buy out. Frankly, Mullen at LSU is the scariest thing I can imagine as a Tide fan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.