Jim McElwain Terminated by Florida

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Jim McElwain rumored to be terminated by Florida

I still think Mullen is the way to go. Yeah he is like Tubberville in that he loses games he shouldn’t, but with the amount of talent he would have at Florida he could have enough to win those games on talent alone.

I think Kelly has never had a defense and that would be the major concern. I think he is a better fit at aTm than Florida.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017

Watched the UT-KY game with a UT fan last night. He was hoping FL would fire Mclwain and that the Vols would immediately snatch him up. Great coach that obviously got into the wrong situation.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Florida boosters are discussing buyout for Mac

Kelly's offense is not the same as the other three. Dublin has traditionally run a single back, air raid offense similar to what he learned from Joe Tiller and Mike Leach. Gus and Hugh have some similarities, though Gus likes to run a lot more than Freeze.

Kelly's offense has been something else - and at its peak, better - but the SEC would eat him alive.
Admittedly it was oversimplification to throw uptempo offenses together like that, but point being Kelly had the best uptempo offense and the most consistent results. I do agree with the notion that there are some flaws, but we are talking about the SEC East here. That includes Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, and South Carolina. so, if you say Georgia and Alabama would eat him alive, I am inclined to believe you. But he wouldn't be playing them most of the time. Remember though, he did go 10-6 his first two years in the NFL, so that shows some aspects of what he's doing clearly can succeed against top notch competition.

Remember though - his type of offensive players are not on campus at FL right now. The Gators would have to be willing to lose for a few years if they want someone like Kelly to have success running his offense there. In this era, is that even possible?
I think the question here is Kelly's adaptability. I mean if you look at what happened with the Eagles, things got worse the more control he gained over personnel and the situation right? So one could argue the best scenario is Kelly adapting to the situation and Kelly not trying to force the team into fitting the rigid confines of his system. It is worth noting though that up until the wheels came off, he hadn't known failure as a head coach. Every year in college and the NFL he'd won at least 10 games. If he's learned anything from that he could be dangerous. And that's the word I keep coming back to, dangerous. I don't see him as a Nick Saban type, but I see potential danger in what he could do.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Gene Stallings?
I wouldn't hire him today if his record was the same as it was pre-Bama.

There will always be unproven guys who succeed, but you know you aren't shining and missing on a HC that has already won. Schools like Bama shouldn't be training grounds or tests beds for HCs.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I wouldn't hire him today if his record was the same as it was pre-Bama.

There will always be unproven guys who succeed, but you know you aren't shining and missing on a HC that has already won. Schools like Bama shouldn't be training grounds or tests beds for HCs.

The problem with this thinking is that sometimes you can't get that coach - because he is simply not available.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The problem with this thinking is that sometimes you can't get that coach - because he is simply not available.
If none are avail be, so be it. But so many times there re proven guys who are available (or would be, if the school is willing to spend the dough) but they don't...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

It's possible that a new HC hire may not even happen until end of season - or afterwards.

BTW....regarding the game yesterday....I bet no one knew that Florida's leading RB (Malik Davis) went out in the 1st quarter with an injury after only 4 carries and is now is out for the rest of the season:

Davis left Saturday’s game against Georgia after getting 20 yards on four carries with an apparent right knee injury. Florida’s official site confirmed after the game that Davis was on crutches and “hobbled” to the team bus.

Davis is a true freshman and Florida’s leading rusher in 2017, having tallied 526 yards and two touchdowns on 79 carries through seven games to date. His quickness and vision have helped him lead Florida’s running game since Gators coaches increased his role after a cameo against Michigan, and his streak of five consecutive games with 90 or more yards rushing put him in rarefied air.
Guess it's a moot point but these injuries and suspensions have been as much of a reason for Florida's struggles as much as anything else (or more) this season.

I don't remember hearing anything about this during the game yesterday and was wondering why we weren't using Malik more instead of just Perrine and Thompson.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I'm saddened by the news that we are losing Coach Mac. I've always liked him as a head coach and person.

I put some of the blame on our administration.

I don't like the way they are handling things.

That said, I'm sure there have been some thing Mac could have handled better - but he is who he is, just as we are who we are.

I wish Coach McElwain & family all the best moving forward.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

From what I have gleaned from this board and those blog sites is that the UF fans want Chip Kelly. IMO, the Florida AD, President and others do not report to the fans, which is exactly what happened when Dubose was hired (that worked out well). Most school's fans act on emotion, lack of patience coupled with unrealistic expectations. I have never been impressed with Kelly, his offenses worked against PAC12 teams that simply were not very good during his tenure, but when he faced a team that played defense his team's struggled. I never thought he was much of a recruiter either and in the state of Florida and the SEC that would be a disaster. I believe Florida can do better than Kelly. He, much like McIlwain, does not appear to be a good fit for that job.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

I don't think is as much about wins/losses (at this point) as it is about an offense that can't get off the ground in the past several years since the departure of Urban Myer. The suspensions and hurt players can be blamed this year, but what is it about the past several seasons with many different offensive coordinators and the lack of on field offensive production?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I don't think is as much about wins/losses (at this point) as it is about an offense that can't get off the ground in the past several years since the departure of Urban Myer. The suspensions and hurt players can be blamed this year, but what is it about the past several seasons with many different offensive coordinators and the lack of on field offensive production?
You can blame Nussmeier primarily for the last two years.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I noted that while the narrative will cite the press conference quote as the reason, it is worth noting they retained him till a 42-7 loss to the dawgs...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

The SEC’s 24th head coaching change since Saban took over at Alabama in 2007..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I'm not sure Mac should have been under any obligation to take the OBC's help.
Think about what is happening for that information to even be out there. Everyone at FL is trying to undermine Mac in every way possible to make this look like anything other than a W/L decision. No integrity in the process by either side at this point. We know how ugly this stuff often is, and this is just a reminder.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...e-to-part-ways-after-3rd-straight-loss-102917

Regardless of the outcome, McElwain’s tenure will be remembered for failing to fix a floundering offense. Three years ago, McElwain proclaimed he could win with his dog at quarterback. The Gators currently rank 113th in total offense, in triple digits nationally for the third time in McElwain’s three seasons.

OK, so where was his dog?

The former Alabama assistant and Colorado State head coach complained publicly about Florida’s facilities shortly after taking the job and openly questioned the school’s commitment to the football program two years later. His initial comments came while the Gators were planning to build an indoor practice facility and his most recent ones came after they had announced plans to build a $60 million, stand-alone football facility.

His comments rubbed Florida officials the wrong way.

They probably would have found a way to live with them had McElwain delivered on promises to improve an offense that has been mostly dormant for a decade.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Think about what is happening for that information to even be out there. Everyone at FL is trying to undermine Mac in every way possible to make this look like anything other than a W/L decision. No integrity in the process by either side at this point. We know how ugly this stuff often is, and this is just a reminder.

So, who really wants to take that job, with this tidbit out there?

Yeah, let 'em bring in Chip Kelly, so OBC can meddle. Sounds great!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.