How many SEC teams with a new coach in 2018

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
After giving us a decent game (not getting blown out) and knocking off Florida on the road I had high expectations that TAMU would steam roll MSU, knock off auburn, but probably lose to LSU. That would give them a 9-3 record and Sumlin would be safe for another season. Then last night MSU curb stomps them. Auburn will beat the snot out of them as will LSU. So does 7-5 save Sumlin, who knows? The only other coach that looks to be on the fire list is Jones. I do think that Chip Kelly would be a better fit at TAMU than Florida. I really see Kelly going to UCLA, much better fit and much easier than the SEC.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
After giving us a decent game (not getting blown out) and knocking off Florida on the road I had high expectations that TAMU would steam roll MSU, knock off auburn, but probably lose to LSU. That would give them a 9-3 record and Sumlin would be safe for another season. Then last night MSU curb stomps them. Auburn will beat the snot out of them as will LSU. So does 7-5 save Sumlin, who knows? The only other coach that looks to be on the fire list is Jones. I do think that Chip Kelly would be a better fit at TAMU than Florida. I really see Kelly going to UCLA, much better fit and much easier than the SEC.
If Sumlin goes 7-5 he is toast...they ARE the sleeping giant who can regularly challenge UA along with UGA. Too many recruits and too much money in Texas to be mediocre forever...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Chip Kelly will NEVER step foot in College Station. In talking with several aTm power brokers, “he is an a-hole”. The two names a bunch of them mention are Dabo (no chance in heck) and Chad Morris. They LOVE Chad.... Knowing some local HS coaches who know Chad well, he is a heck of a recruiter. AND can develop talent.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Chip Kelly will NEVER step foot in College Station. In talking with several aTm power brokers, “he is an a-hole”. The two names a bunch of them mention are Dabo (no chance in heck) and Chad Morris. They LOVE Chad.... Knowing some local HS coaches who know Chad well, he is a heck of a recruiter. AND can develop talent.
If I'm a hot up and coming HC candidate, I do not, I repeat ....do NOT take a job in the SECW.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Agree 100%. However, Chad Morris would take aTm. He is very confident/cocky and truly believes he is as good a coach as Saban.
He's 13-19 as a HC including 7-13 in the American Conference... Oh and Clemson's offense peaked after he left.

I don't even understand why he's viewed as the next hot coach.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Barn, TAM, Hogs, Ol spit, orange puke all have issues (Mizzou too but they have institutional problems). Whoville is in limbo.
If Barn should lose to TAM (unlikely), GM is gone unless he beats beats either Bama or dawgs (again, unlikely). Win at Kyle field and he's safe for this year.
Sumlin has to beat the Barn IMO to stay; even then they have to beat the who's as well.
BB is a question mark - hogs seem content with mediocrity and a whale coach with a hot wife
Ol spit will hire a new coach
BJ is gone.
If Ogre loses to Bama, he can't lose again - that may be enough, knowing how the who's hate Bama; if he loses again it's a done deal. They want what NS and LM gave them and they aren't very patient anymore. JMO

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I wouldn't be surprised either way, but if was making the call, Sumlin would be safe this year. He has done a respectable enough job and recovered after a week 1 fiasco. Add to that the fact that I just do not see that many good coaches out there to go and get. They just aren't there, or are few and far between. As long as they are in the SECW, and we have our guy at Bama, everyone else is just playing for 2nd place in the division, unless someone gets lucky. So, keep your 8-4 guy, save your money, and wait for a better time.

I would not be at all surprised, though, to see him make a jump to one of the other openings that comes about. Maybe MSU after Mullen takes off for UF?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.