Apple Engineer Fired over his Daughter's video of iPhone X

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Apple fires iPhone X engineer after daughter’s hands-on video goes viral

A little harsh, but he (and I believe she) knew the rules. No video recordings on campus, especially of yet-to-be-released products.

"To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer." Then add Facebook and wait for the fireworks.
not even remotely harsh

When I was in my early teens my Dad worked for the IBM PC division and his best friend at work was in the Gaming group at IBM PC, we had all kinds of stuff early that I wasn't even allowed to show my friends in those days. Now I am privy to roadmap detail in my own IT work that I can't share with anyone. We all know the score and I am not near the level of Top Secret as Apple is with their new releases. I've heard from friends who've worked at Apple that they take this to extreme lengths including having Apple security doing "site surveys" of employee's homes and requiring separate deadbolts on home office doors to employees that are allowed to bring pre-release hardware home to shield tech from their own families. This guy should have known better than to let his daughter near the device. My Dad terrified me when I was a kid when we got to play with the PC Jr before when it was just in rumor stage I couldn't even have my other nerd buddies over to help me figure out games or talk to them about what games I was playing, that's hard for a 12/13 year old but I did it. If she didn't know better than that is his fault and he deserved to be let go

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This is fairly common in the tech industry. Dude earned his termination.

Hope his daughter's YouTube likes were worth it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Wow, the normally soft-hearted taking a hard line.
But I agree with both Jon and Charmin, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
As for dad, if you cannot absolutely trust your daughter to comply with the rules, don't bring her to campus. You'll never get fired for not bringing your daughter to work but you might get fired for bringing her if she does something stupid.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Wow, the normally soft-hearted taking a hard line.
But I agree with both Jon and Charmin, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
As for dad, if you cannot absolutely trust your daughter to comply with the rules, don't bring her to campus. You'll never get fired for not bringing your daughter to work but you might get fired for bringing her if she does something stupid.
Only some laws are really laws to liberals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I really hate it for the guy but he was involved with a pretty involved part of the iPhone hardware product. He will not be unemployed long.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
i have no sympathy for any of the kids that post on social media. If your stupid enought to post something stupid. Wait I grew up in the 70's. We are all still praying for a EMP burst for smart phones only. Happy Days are here again. Flip Phones. .....
We sure as heck didnt want to get caught doing what we did in the 70's on film or tape. I have some pics of Auntie Sue Milking Bessie out behind Toomers Corners. Want me to post them..

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
I’m kinda surprised Apple didn’t make her leave her phone outside. I guess since phones are their business that makes it hard to police such a thing, but seems like they’d try to eliminate the temptation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.