Health insurance question

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Jessica, as others have pointed out, the decision to not expand Medicaid in Alabama is what got you. This was an effort to undermine the ACA and make it not work for as many people as possible. The Dems wanted the expansion to be in every state, the GOP did not. People in your situation are some of the collateral damage that the GOP was willing to tolerate/encourage in order to kill the ACA.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Jessica, please check with this local clinic. They do great work. Maybe it's possible for them to take care of the twice yearly screening you need. Good luck, I wish you the best.
###########
Edit: It's worth noting, if you keep the policy you have, that premiums for current policies are expected to jump substantially because Trump and the GOP refuse to cooperate in trying to tweak the current law to keep premiums down.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I called BCBS today, and they were less than helpful. Probably didn’t help I was a little perturbed. I was seeing if I could go with a lower plan and them still pay for my screening. My geneticist says the government makes all insurance company’s pay for the screenings I need. The lady on the phone said if I go with a bronze plan that I’d have to meet my deductible before they’d pay for any of that. Right now with the silver plan, I don’t have to pay but like $60 copay for my mammogram, but I have to pay $350 for my mri. She made it seem like they wouldn’t cover that until I meet my deductible, which would be thousands of dollars. So I don’t know what to do right now.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Jessica, please check with this local clinic. They do great work. Maybe it's possible for them to take care of the twice yearly screening you need. Good luck, I wish you the best.
###########
Edit: It's worth noting, if you keep the policy you have, that premiums for current policies are expected to jump substantially because Trump and the GOP refuse to cooperate in trying to tweak the current law to keep premiums down.
Will I be able to go there if I have insurance? Sorry haven’t really read a lot about this clinic.

And my premium for the same policy is going up yet again. It’s now $465 a month just for me, if I stick with that policy.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Will I be able to go there if I have insurance? Sorry haven’t really read a lot about this clinic.

And my premium for the same policy is going up yet again. It’s now $465 a month just for me, if I stick with that policy.
I hope you aren't offended... I live in Decatur also, and called the clinic today. I described your situation in general terms. They didn't make any promises, but were very nice and understanding. If you will go to their clinic downtown, they said you can fill out some paperwork and see if you might qualify for what they could do. I really think it's worth a shot on your part.

Maybe they could do the screening to back up a less expensive insurance plan, a bronze plan for example, or do it if the person has no insurance. I think if they can help you they will, and they are small enough to sometimes be more flexible in what they can do.

It's owned and run by the church across the street.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I hope you aren't offended... I live in Decatur also, and called the clinic today. I described your situation in general terms. They didn't make any promises, but were very nice and understanding. If you will go to their clinic downtown, they said you can fill out some paperwork and see if you might qualify for what they could do. I really think it's worth a shot on your part.

Maybe they could do the screening to back up a less expensive insurance plan, a bronze plan for example, or do it if the person has no insurance. I think if they can help you they will, and they are small enough to sometimes be more flexible in what they can do.

It's owned and run by the church across the street.
Not at all. I appreciate the help! I will stop by one day after class and talk to them.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
To what degree have you exhausted healthcare.gov resources?

https://www.healthcare.gov/apply-and-enroll/get-help-applying/

Looks like there may be professionals available (even locally) to give you advice.
I haven't done much since enrollment doesn't start till tomorrow. I just looked at the 2018 plans, and I have called them. They weren't very helpful since they seem to not know, either, what will happen when the stuff Trump signed goes into effect.

I was advised to fill out an application completely and see what my premium comes to, but it looks like now there will not be much help for my situation. At least it's only a year and half I'll have to deal with this.

I was told I wouldn't be penalized for no health insurance since I didn't have a job currently, but of course, being in nursing school and my screenings, I can't be without insurance.

Last edited:

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
remember it in 2018, it was the Republicans who did this to you.
Yep, it was all those evil republicans that passed the Obama care plan (coincidently, the dems turned around and exempted congress from having to participate in such a cheep insurance plan that would benefit all in such good ways.
I don't pretend that the pubs are any different, either, because all up there are just up there for the power and not to do what's best for this country.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Well that really sucks. And I can’t do without insurance because I have to have twice a year screenings for the breast cancer mutation gene. I’m sure most won’t cover those.
Maybe this will help.

http://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...free-genetic-cancer-risk-tests-456697603.html
[FONT=&quot]The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology is continuing a program which gives thousands the opportunity to know what cancer risks they may have based on their genetics at no cost as a part of its Information is Power initiative.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HudsonAlpha is working with associate company Kailos Genetics and sponsor Redstone Federal Credit Union to provide free genetic cancer risk testing for anyone age 28-32 in Madison, Jackson, Limestone, Marshall and Morgan Counties. Discounted prices are available for people living in those counties if you are 19 or older.[/FONT]

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Maybe this will help.

http://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...free-genetic-cancer-risk-tests-456697603.html
The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology is continuing a program which gives thousands the opportunity to know what cancer risks they may have based on their genetics at no cost as a part of its Information is Power initiative.

HudsonAlpha is working with associate company Kailos Genetics and sponsor Redstone Federal Credit Union to provide free genetic cancer risk testing for anyone age 28-32 in Madison, Jackson, Limestone, Marshall and Morgan Counties. Discounted prices are available for people living in those counties if you are 19 or older.
Yeah, I saw that and it’s great they are offering this. I was tested a year ago, and I was positive for the gene. That’s why I have to have mammograms and MRI’s every year. I was told insurance had to pay for all the screenings, but I’m not sure they will if I go with a lower plan.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, I saw that and it’s great they are offering this. I was tested a year ago, and I was positive for the gene. That’s why I have to have mammograms and MRI’s every year. I was told insurance had to pay for all the screenings, but I’m not sure they will if I go with a lower plan.
As I understand it, annual mammograms for those 40 and older should be covered at no cost. You’d likely have to pay for the MRI out of pocket regardless of your age, which is the nature of insurance under the ACA. If you’re not at least 40 years old, you’d likely have to pay for the mammogram out of pocket anyway as well.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I just finished an application, and called Blue Cross. I don't get any deductions for my low income for next year. Blue Cross said there were other options for Alabama residents that aren't ACA compliant. With my lack of income for next year, I won't be penalized if I don't carry insurance, so I suppose that means I can get insurance from a non ACA complaint company without being penalized?

I didn't know these type companies existed that didn't have to follow the ACA policies. Does anyone know anything about them, and are they any good?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
As I understand it, annual mammograms for those 40 and older should be covered at no cost. You’d likely have to pay for the MRI out of pocket regardless of your age, which is the nature of insurance under the ACA. If you’re not at least 40 years old, you’d likely have to pay for the mammogram out of pocket anyway as well.
Actually at 31, I don't have to pay but a copay or whatever it is. It's due to the way they have to bill it in their system for preventive vs. routine screenings or whatever. The MRI I have to pay a $350 copay right now with the plan I have.

Blue Cross just told me if I went with a lower Bronze plan that I would have to pay till I met my deductible which is like $7,000 or some crazy number. And everyone knows how much they charge for MRI's, so basically I'm screwed into having pay almost $500 a month for insurance with hardly any income for next year.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I just finished an application, and called Blue Cross. I don't get any deductions for my low income for next year. Blue Cross said there were other options for Alabama residents that aren't ACA compliant. With my lack of income for next year, I won't be penalized if I don't carry insurance, so I suppose that means I can get insurance from a non ACA complaint company without being penalized?

I didn't know these type companies existed that didn't have to follow the ACA policies. Does anyone know anything about them, and are they any good?
I would be very very careful with non-ACA compliant plans, and, unless something’s changed, they may not be of sufficient actuarial value to avoid the tax penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.