LSU’s offensive/defensive plan against Alabama

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Based on this year's performance from Matt Canada and his playcalling, I think we'll see lot of shifts and motions from the offense to try and confuse us. he's one of the most unpredictable playcaller in CFB. He has good track records of beating the very good teams such as Clemson and Penn State.

What do you think Bama Defense will try and do to make Canada frustrated early in the game?

I think we all know that LSU defense will try and blitzes Jalen Hurts from all angles similar to TAMU game. Something tells me we have a game plan for that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Was thinking about this last night.

Ideally, the CBs are able to lock down their outside WRs in man coverage. This will allow the DEs, OLBs and Ss to keep contain on all of the motions, sweeps and window-dressing. Payne, Davis, Frazier, etc need to have a solid push up the middle to stop any inside runs.

Obviously, this is over simplifying it, but that's what the defense is going to have to do to stop the LSU offense. Saturday night.

What do you think Bama Defense will try and do to make Canada frustrated early in the game?
I know LSU has something up their sleeve and we will have to weather that storm. Like 91 said, we have to clamp down on the outside to all the "DEs, OLBs and Ss to keep contain on all of the motions, sweeps and window-dressing." I think the guys will be ready and the first qtr will be indicative of what's to come for the rest of the game. As well as the defense is playing and we are to get some bodies back I think we will be fine. Canada is going to throw the kitchen, not just the sink, at us on EVERY play I think. We will have to be ready. I think there is going to be a point in the game where something just keeps working for them and we roll our eyes, or nothing works and we beat them down. I hope it is the latter and signs, at this point, point to that with this defense.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Since their QB is not a threat to run, I see Alabama playing a lot of man coverage on the back end, but it all starts and ends at the LOS. Stop their running game, including the WR sweeps, and you stop LSU.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Canada's gameplan will be about trying to make the inexperience at OLB show itself. I expect Canada to come out in heavier sets to get us in our base 34 defense then shift and motion to confuse our outside backers. If we demonstrate that we can prevent big plays against those sets then he will have to spread out the defense more traditionally with 3 wide sets. I think we are better suited on the edge in nickel and dime which will give us opportunities to make big plays on defense.

Aranda's gameplan should be an almost carbon copy of the 2016 play sheet. Attempt to take away the zone-read and quick passes with CB/S pressures off the edge and make Hurts beat you on traditional dropback passes. If that doesn't work, I think they're screwed but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't just trust their DBs and see if Hurts is actually a better thrower in 2017.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd note part of that nickel blitz pressure package's effectiveness last year was that it worked to limit both our typical wide quick passes (screens, short hitches, etc) AND the QB keeper. It turned our offense into nothing but tailback dive up the gut. If we can hit stuff quick between the hashes where Hurts is not having to throw over a blitzer to the outside then maybe we scare them out of these looks.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I'd run it right at us and attempt to wear down our DL. I'm not sold we are as dominant against the run (I know, I know stats) as we have been in years past. It's just that we are usually way ahead and teams have to pass.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep, that is another reason I expect an almost head scratching on the surface decision to go with conventional and heavy personnel from LSU. They're gonna test us up front both in terms of toughness and comfort within the scheme. I don't expect a bunch of dives between the A-gaps but instead a bunch of stuff in the C-gaps where they're probing for misplays from relatively inexperienced OLBs and DEs. If we can force them to spread it out then our pure talent up front will show out against their inexperienced and thin OL. They need all that eye candy and extra blockers to protect their OL.

OLBs and DEs in our base looks is the likely key to this game. If they step up big time then we should win simply by nullifying their offense. If not, it could be a dogfight if the offense isn't wiser to Aranda's RPO beater defense from '16.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd run it right at us and attempt to wear down our DL. I'm not sold we are as dominant against the run (I know, I know stats) as we have been in years past. It's just that we are usually way ahead and teams have to pass.
Yep, that is another reason I expect an almost head scratching on the surface decision to go with conventional and heavy personnel from LSU. They're gonna test us up front both in terms of toughness and comfort within the scheme. I don't expect a bunch of dives between the A-gaps but instead a bunch of stuff in the C-gaps where they're probing for misplays from relatively inexperienced OLBs and DEs.

OLBs and DEs in our base looks is the likely key to this game. If they step up big time then we should win simply by nullifying their offense. If not, it could be a dogfight if the offense isn't wiser to Aranda's RPO beater defense from '16.
If this is what LSU does, I will have to wonder if it's more Canada's doing or O's.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Added some more to that post. I think they should at least look to see if it is possible and it may be their only route to victory. I don't think they can win if they have to get into a spread-you-out affair. Their OL hasn't been great this year and I think Alabama is pretty well suited for getting after teams when we get into nickel and dime packages.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
I have seen LSU play several times and Canada's offense is starting to click for them. They have a lot of motion and a lot of misdirection plays that have worked for them these past couple of games, but I don't see how that is gonna do anything against this line and secondary of Alabama's.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Added some more to that post. I think they should at least look to see if it is possible and it may be their only route to victory. I don't think they can win if they have to get into a spread-you-out affair. Their OL hasn't been great this year and I think Alabama is pretty well suited for getting after teams when we get into nickel and dime packages.
Agreed, but do they play to their strengths or to Alabama's slight weakness? IMO, Alabama's slight weakness is not significant enough for them to change their game plan. They have had the most success attacking the perimeter in their run game. I think that this is what they are going to try to do against Alabama. But I also expect a lot of play action passes. They can't win without a 200+ yard passing game from their QB and they know it.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
There isn't a team that is less affected by motion or "eye candy" than Bama. They are extremely disciplined. If that is LSU's plan they are in trouble.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This might be a bigger factor in the game than in most games. LSU averages 6.6 penalties per game for 64 yards.

Their OL is young, and with all the motion Canada uses, they've had 9 false start penalties on the season. The crowd needs to be loud and cause some problems for the young OL.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Just curious. Anybody have any doubts as to whether or not LSU has everyone`s complete and undivided attention? I personally don`t and feel that a totally focused Alabama will be pretty tough for any scheme on either side of the ball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just curious. Anybody have any doubts as to whether or not LSU has everyone`s complete and undivided attention? I personally don`t and feel that a totally focused Alabama will be pretty tough for any scheme on either side of the ball.
The score was 0-0 in the 4th last year. I think that LSU will have the player's attention.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I think they will go away from the last few gameplans, especially with 2 starting freshmen on OL. They have to know they cannot get far behind as well. As such, I would tend to think a bit more involvement for the WRs with quick passes and runs testing the edges. Maybe try to Kiffin it up and try and tire our DL by getting them to chase side to side early, then come back later with some power runs between the tackles. I expect them to give Chark multiple opportunities to make plays.

I think their DBs are talented, I would challenge them to hold up in man so I could get an extra guy in the box to get after Jalen and for run support. I would basically be rather conservative early, play field position, yet take a downfield shot here and there. I know if I can get into the second half with the game being close, that momentum will build for LSU, and confidence - and pressure will build on Bama, maybe a little self doubt.

I will follow General Neyland's advice - "More football games are lost than are ever won" - with the thought in mind that LSU still has to make some plays. The Ultra conservative approach has not worked for them in years.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I respect your opinion, but one stat that is unrelated to how often the opponent runs or passes is yards per rush. Bama's is a tremendous 2.36, a great gap of .75 ypr over UGA's "great" run D. Also, it's not inflated by an inordinate number of sacks. The only caveat is the level of competition, but LSU's OL has been mediocre at best. I've been pleasantly surprised by Bama's run D, but the key is Daron Payne, who IMO is the most indispensable player on the team, including Minkah. He is going to be tremendously missed next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.