CFR - Sports answer to MS Excel's circular reference.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
With the 1st rankings due tomorrow I checked the AP and Coaches polls on ESPN and tOSU sit 3rd behind Bama and Georgia in both. 1 infront of the undefeated Badgers from the same conference.

After this the two polls diverge, but tOSU sits above Penn who in turn sit above the Sooners in both.

Penn dropped a close one to tOSU after leading (comfortably at times) for most of the game.

When the Sooners visited the shoe they left far more comfortable winners than buckeyes did at the weekend.

So my question is this, how are losses weighted?

Are early season losses more recoverable than later losses and if so why - it would seem to me more reasonable to excuse a loss in part down to sustained injuries than being flat out beat when healthy and well rested.

I know strength of schedule is a factor but that so open to interpretation it seems to defy all logic.

Who could have predicted that Florida State could end up being detrimental to Bama's SOS come seasons end.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In the past the committee has weighed wins more than losses, and has weighed current level of play more than how a team might have played earlier in the season (so early wins or losses might carry less weight if a team is playing much better or worse of late).

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
With the 1st rankings due tomorrow I checked the AP and Coaches polls on ESPN and tOSU sit 3rd behind Bama and Georgia in both. 1 infront of the undefeated Badgers from the same conference.

After this the two polls diverge, but tOSU sits above Penn who in turn sit above the Sooners in both.

Penn dropped a close one to tOSU after leading (comfortably at times) for most of the game.

When the Sooners visited the shoe they left far more comfortable winners than buckeyes did at the weekend.

So my question is this, how are losses weighted?

Are early season losses more recoverable than later losses and if so why - it would seem to me more reasonable to excuse a loss in part down to sustained injuries than being flat out beat when healthy and well rested.

I know strength of schedule is a factor but that so open to interpretation it seems to defy all logic.

Who could have predicted that Florida State could end up being detrimental to Bama's SOS come seasons end.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
How are losses weighted by the "Double Secret Committee"?

UTTERLY SUBJECTIVELY. That is WHY we have a "secret committee" and why the Conferences INSISTED we had to ditch the (relatively) objective, and transparent BCS poll.

How else can you get O$U into the 2014 P_ayoff with a horrendous schedule and a bad early loss to the ONLY good team they played all year, AND get O$U into the P_ayoff in 2016 despite a Mid-season head-to-head loss to the B1G Champion and unimpressive wins in November? The former was allegedly based on "recent performance" and "winning their Conference Title"; the latter selection ignored both those factors and instead claimed "Strength of Schedule".... LOL!!!!

In REALITY, BOTH selections were based on TV Ratings.

so open to interpretation it seems to defy all logic.

Again, that's why we "HAD" to adopt a secret committee meeting behind closed doors with NO SET CRITERIA. This is so that "illogical" results could be achieved by simply claiming the "Double Secret Committee" applies a different set of amorphous standards each year. In reality, the #1 criteria EVERY YEAR is TV ratings.

And OBVIOUSLY, Ratings will suffer if undefeated P-5 teams are passed over for 2 loss "crowd favorites"; that's NOT what I'm suggesting! - But TV ratings are always the deciding factor when the committee must choose between a small market or obscure P-5 champ vs. a large market or popular P-5 champ with the same record. - Just ask Baylor and TCU in 2014!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I agree with much of the answers above, but I would only add that a certain amount is the "eye test." How does a team look just now?
A beats B.
B beats C.
C beats D.
D beats A.
Who is better? It's very subjective.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The committee must use the old BCS formula, as it has always mirrored what the formula results were anyways...

Is the formula still out there this year?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.