Name Your Top 5 Jobs in College Football

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
NOT top 5 programs, though they may intersect.

As of today, I think I would go with

Ohio State
Alabama
Texas A&M
USC
Georgia

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
Texas A&M is a regional, afterthought program. You can plug dozens of schools into their slot. Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida State, Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, Michigan, Mich. State, the list goes on and on. Georgia is debatable as well. If you are talking Georgia because it is the sole in-state power, then I would list LSU above it.

Ohio State, Bama, USC should be in the Top 5. Lots of debate how you fill out the rest of the Top 5 and Top 10.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If you mean by Current Facilities(Weight-room and Locker-room included), Financial Commitment from the AD(For Staff pay and Upgrades to Facilities), Recruiting Area Locally and National Appeal, Board and Boosters currently being hands off, Dedicated Fanbase etc etc...Here's my Top 10

Top Tier
1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson

The Right Coach Away from Top Tier
4) USC
5) FSU
6) Oklahoma
7) UGA

The Right Coach and 2-4 Top Recruiting Classes away from Top-Tier
8) LSU
9) Michigan
10) Texas A&M

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Alabama
Ohio State
USC
Texas
Florida/FSU/Miami
I debated those 3 in my mind too.

Texas will fork over the Big-Cash for sure but just has too many meddlesome people involved imho. I don' t see how anyone can do well there unless there is a CNS clone floating around....and even though HE maybe flirted and entertained the thought ultimately said 'no thanks'.

Florida is not looking too hot right now and keeps hiring coaching projects w/ Top 15-20 Money. With the right coach they are prime for a resurgence but they need 3-4 phenomenal recruiting classes to get the Offense going and they obviously don't have the patience for 2.5 seasons.

Miami is right in the same recruiting hot-bed but unless I've missed it (which is possible) they have no commitment to upgrading facilities. They've always been behind both Florida and FSU in that area. They are kind of cheapskates. I think Richt is making a little over $4 Mil but that could place him anywhere from 12th to 20th in the country.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Best JOBS RIGHT NOW—not blue blood status:

Texas —unlimited resources/recruiting hotbed
Alabama—rabid fan base/best coach/unmatched tradition
Ohio State—best program in the North/2nd best coach
Georgia —proximity to recruiting hotbeds
Florida State—crown jewel school of the state of Florida, most fertile recruiting ground in the country

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You can't really put another SEC team in the Top 5 jobs right now - because if you can't win the west, and you can't win the SEC and you can't make the playoff....you can't be a top 5 job.....sorry.

Bama
Ohio State
Clemson
USCw
Oklahoma

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Alabama
Ohio State
USC

I think it gets tougher after that. I'd go with:
Michigan (do you see how much they're paying their head coach? Heh)
Then I'd be tempted to have a 2 way tie: FSU/Oklahoma.

I think Texas has demonstrated that their boosters can mess anything up. The climate Nick Saban has created in the SEC makes otherwise good jobs into bad ones. Even Georgia was willing to run off a successful head coach.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Hawaii

Get to live on the islands and probably make a decent salary with no real pressure to win championships.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Notre Dame could get bumped back onto this list if they make the playoff. I have to admit that Kelly has done wonders there.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Not sure how you can distinguish "job" from "program."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the distinction is "where are they at now" vs. "where could they be/how quick could you get them there."

Clemson is clearly a top 5 program right now, but I think it's more debatable if that's a top 5 job. The reverse would be a school like Texas that clearly isn't even close to being a top 5 program but could very well be a top 5 job given the money and recruiting in the state.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Notre Dame could get bumped back onto this list if they make the playoff. I have to admit that Kelly has done wonders there.
That's a tougher job than it looks, IMO. Obviously ND has the tradition and national brand but they have very high academic standards and I honestly think the lack of a conference hurts them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's a tougher job than it looks, IMO. Obviously ND has the tradition and national brand but they have very high academic standards and I honestly think the lack of a conference hurts them.
I agree, but if you are a head coach, it is one of the "mountain top" jobs both in pay and prestige.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
1 Eli Gold’s job
2 Kirk Herbstreit’s gig
3 Working opposite Laura Rutledge
4 Gary Danielson’s job
5 QB at Alabama

For a less angular answer:
1 Alabama
2 tOSU
3 Michigan
4 Florida
5 Texas

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Notre Dame a Top 5 Program historically - but are they now a top 5 job?
It sure carries a lot of prestige. I mean, I can name every Notre Dame head coach in the last 60 years, including the really bad ones. I can't do that for many programs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.