Name Your Top 5 Jobs in College Football

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
JMO...

UGA is the big Dog in a talent rich state, you can also reach south to Florida and West to Alabama. Admin in Athens now seems committed to being top notch. Is Georgia the modern day version of Florida of 1990?

Texas - Flagship of a talent rich state, stadium is not top notch, too much behind the scenes with busybody boosters.

LSU - no in-state competition, but money woes and a fickle fan base

Florida - are they really a top-Tier job? Talent laden state, but there is more competition than ever for it. Miami is resurgent, UCF, Fau, FIU, etc. IMO, fanbase with unreasonable expecations. Strangely, facilities below the highest levels.

Tennessee - not even close to sniffing Top 5 right now

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
1. Alabama. Proximity to the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Administration that "gets it" and is willing embrace the football program as the public face of the University. Ability to pay top notch salaries and maintain top notch facilities. Fanbase that is demanding, yet loyal to the point of being able to expand stadium capacity twice during downturns from probation (1998, 2006).

2. Georgia. Because I think the administration has finally gotten its act together. Recruiting territory is as good as it gets. I don't think money is a problem. Fanbase is rabid, figuratively and literally. It's always been a sleeping giant of sorts because of the recruiting but the Admin side has never been able to get it together, and that has provided excellent fodder for the likes of 92Tide over the years. We'll see but I suspect they are getting past that. (This has nothing to do with how good I think the team is this year).

3. Ohio State. I think its the premier job of the North/Midwest US. They've got it figured out better than most of the B1G. Ohio is probably one of the best recruiting territories in that region and OSU can draw nationally. I'm sure money is not an issue, and meddlesome boosters are probably rare.

4. USC. Southern California produces a ton of talent each year. USC can be a national draw as well. Money isn't an issue, though they've had some admin issues over the past 20 years (probably a lot further back than that).

5. Texas. In the middle of a talent hotbed, with more money than they know what to do with. Massive downside with meddlesome boosters, however, and thus needs either a kiss butt politician (see Mack Brown) or a totalitarian with the results to back it up (see what would have been with Coach Saban) in order to manage all of that headache. In a way, they shouldn't be considered a top 5 job because of this, and it has produced massive mediocrity over the years. There are extremely few amounts of programs out there with as much potential as this one, but you've got to get a lot of horses lined up properly in order to realize it.

Others like LSU, Florida, FSU, Miami, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, Texas A&M etc, just have too many potential headaches present to have included in my top 5.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
2. Georgia. Because I think the administration has finally gotten its act together. Recruiting territory is as good as it gets. I don't think money is a problem. Fanbase is rabid, figuratively and literally. It's always been a sleeping giant of sorts because of the recruiting but the Admin side has never been able to get it together, and that has provided excellent fodder for the likes of 92Tide over the years. We'll see but I suspect they are getting past that. (This has nothing to do with how good I think the team is this year).
I will believe it when I see it with regards to UGA's administration getting its act together. Undoubtedly Smart has turned things around there, but it will be interesting to see the response from the administration in terms of giving Smart carte blanche like we have done with Saban. I think Scott Cochran is still with us because Georgia wasn't willing to pay a S&C coach what he's truly worth.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It sure carries a lot of prestige. I mean, I can name every Notre Dame head coach in the last 60 years, including the really bad ones. I can't do that for many programs.
I thought about listing them, but the issue in recent memory has been difficulty in sustaining success. The last time they've had back to back 10 win seasons was under Lou Holtz. Every full time head coach since then has also had a losing season. I'd name them a top 5 all time program, but I wouldn't name them a top 5 job at this point if that makes any sense.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I will believe it when I see it with regards to UGA's administration getting its act together. Undoubtedly Smart has turned things around there, but it will be interesting to see the response from the administration in terms of giving Smart carte blanche like we have done with Saban. I think Scott Cochran is still with us because Georgia wasn't willing to pay a S&C coach what he's truly worth.
Agreed.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. Alabama. Proximity to the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Administration that "gets it" and is willing embrace the football program as the public face of the University. Ability to pay top notch salaries and maintain top notch facilities. Fanbase that is demanding, yet loyal to the point of being able to expand stadium capacity twice during downturns from probation (1998, 2006).

3. Ohio State. I think its the premier job of the North/Midwest US. They've got it figured out better than most of the B1G. Ohio is probably one of the best recruiting territories in that region and OSU can draw nationally. I'm sure money is not an issue, and meddlesome boosters are probably rare.

4. USC. Southern California produces a ton of talent each year. USC can be a national draw as well. Money isn't an issue, though they've had some admin issues over the past 20 years (probably a lot further back than that).

5. Texas. In the middle of a talent hotbed, with more money than they know what to do with. Massive downside with meddlesome boosters, however, and thus needs either a kiss butt politician (see Mack Brown) or a totalitarian with the results to back it up (see what would have been with Coach Saban) in order to manage all of that headache. In a way, they shouldn't be considered a top 5 job because of this, and it has produced massive mediocrity over the years. There are extremely few amounts of programs out there with as much potential as this one, but you've got to get a lot of horses lined up properly in order to realize it.

Others like LSU, Florida, FSU, Miami, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, Texas A&M etc, just have too many potential headaches present to have included in my top 5.
That's a good list.

If Texas ever figured out what Alabama did a few years ago, they'd shoot right back up to the top. I'm rooting for Herman and I hope the meddling boosters will leave him alone.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Hawaii

Get to live on the islands and probably make a decent salary with no real pressure to win championships.
^^^This - dude has a cherry job indeed:

Details are coming out on Nick Rolovich and his new job as the Hawaii Warriors head coach. The contract is a four-year deal with just over $1.6 million with a breakdown of $400,008 in each of the first two seasons and $425,004 in the final two.

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/...k-rolovich-signs-four-year-deal-as-head-coach

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.