2018 Cup Cake v 2019 LSU

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
I have written before that I have added a trip across the pond to visit BDS to my bucket list.

In May of next year I will reach the big 50 and I have decided that my present will be to arrange the trip.

Away from tide fans I online game playing Destiny on PS4 and through that I have made friends with a Bama fan who is all for me visiting and attending a game.

He's suggested the cup cake games in next years schedule as the best options for ease of obtaining tickets. Whilst these wouldn't represent my preferred option, seeing any game at BDS and visiting the museum is a better option than not seeing a game when I visit.

Whilst for most of you the Barn or the Viles represent the most important game of the year, only joining in 2013 the team I focus on is LSU. My dream option would be to see a CNS Alabama team beat a good LSU at BDS during my visit.

If I understand this correctly LSU will not be due back to BDS until 2019 after Saturday.

I appreciate the cost will be significantly greater for LSU but I'm prepared to live with that for a once in a lifetime trip.

So, with enough lead time is obtaining tickets for the LSU game at BDS in 2019 a realistic possibility or would I be better served going for an easier to secure option in 2018?

Also, how likely is it that Alabama will still be a NS coached team in 2018 and 19?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Almost impossible to predict coaching and competition level but I would bet on CNS being here in 2019.

As for the game, I think if money isn't an issue then going to the best game possible is the move. The stadium atmosphere is just completely different vs Cup Cake teams. I can tell you when I was a student I had family and friends visit for both cup cakes and some for bigger games. Those who went to cup cakes had a ton of fun but the ones who came (or came back) for bigger games still talk about it.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I would try to go to an SEC rather than a cupcake, especially a game like Texas A&M or even the Barn.
Regardless, given that you'd be travelling across the pond to visit the Tide, I'm sure many of us, including myself, would - assuming we are in a position to do so and within reason - be more than willing to help make sure you get a ticket.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
I wouldn't claim money isn't an issue but for a single trip where the cheaper option is still expensive I feel it becomes a relative issue.

£2000 to see Louisiana Monroe

V

£3000 to see LSU

Wild guess numbers but for the above scenarios I could sell the more expensive option to she who must be obeyed [emoji16]

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I wouldn't claim money isn't an issue but for a single trip where the cheaper option is still expensive I feel it becomes a relative issue.

V

£3000 to see LSU

Wild guess numbers but for the above scenarios I could sell the more expensive option to she who must be obeyed [emoji16]

SWMBO can be a significant factor.

As for the overall cost, unless you're wanting 50 yard-line seats there shouldn't be anywhere near that much of a difference.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
For 2018, is there any reason other than monetary why the Iron Bowl wouldn't be on the table?
No I feel the only major roadblock would be securing tickets.

I really want to visit the museum, that's priority 1 for me, it just seems that if I'm travelling all that way it would be silly not to try to see a game and if you're seeing a game why not go for an adrenaline pumped.

It will be a one off trip for me so I can use that to ramp up what I hope to get out of it.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

V

£3000 to see LSU

So how is your wife Hilda fairing these days, Mr. Rumpole? ;) :biggrin2:
(I often refer to mine in the same manner.)

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
If this is a once in a lifetime pilgrimage I don't think there's any question you should pay up for the best game you can.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Cupcake - cheaper, easier to get around, get in restaurants and bars, etc. Campus experience will be a bit more like the one I experienced growing up

LSU - more crowded, corndogs to deal with, some years the TPD have experienced lots of work from drunk and rowdy LSU fans, but likely to be a real, big time, big game SEC battle.

^^ Unless Coach Eaux completely destroys the tigers by that point

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No I feel the only major roadblock would be securing tickets.

I really want to visit the museum, that's priority 1 for me, it just seems that if I'm travelling all that way it would be silly not to try to see a game and if you're seeing a game why not go for an adrenaline pumped.

It will be a one off trip for me so I can use that to ramp up what I hope to get out of it.

Believe it or not, it's NOT that difficult to secure tickets.

I've bought the season package the last two years so here goes:

The games against ATM (last year) and Tennessee ESPECIALLY were really amped crowds (and the Vols ain't that good this year). Last year's Auburn game not so exciting in person but part of that was because the West was already won.

I went to last year's WKU and Kentucky games as well - not so grand, even though they were okay. Same this year with both Fresno AND Colorado State back to back weekends.

Here's a couple of pointers:

October games against good teams tend to be something extra special.

The weather in Alabama in October is - for just a few weeks - absolutely perfect for football. To be fair, I've attended November games against Auburn (twice) with perfect weather, Miss St (an 11 am kickoff, stadium 1/2 empty, nice weather but little enthusiasm), and LSU (it rained two years ago and I'm going this weekend).

If you go in 18, this means you don't have much to choose from because Mizzou is the only home game next year.

In fact, Auburn is the only home game in 2018 that you MIGHT get the full effect. And that's risky because on occasion (insert 2010 reference here) it is COLD in late November. That'***** or miss. You living in the UK, not that big a deal.

The 2019 schedule is not set yet, but you can bet the mortgage that Alabama-LSU will be on November 2. Tennessee (who might be good again by then) is also a home game that year, most likely on 10/19.

I'm just saying, it is WELL worth the additional bucks. But to be fair - you will NOT be disappointed, honestly. My first BDS experience was the October 27, 2012 game against Miss St. You'd think that would be sold out and maybe it was, but the stadium never completely filled up despite the two teams being the closest mileage-wise in the SEC.

Both teams were undefeated.
Both teams were ranked.
State had a couple of pretty good cover guys, too.

On the flip side, a cold front came through and though the day wasn't too bad, the night was almost unbearable up high with 30 mph wind gusts almost constantly. It got worse when the stadium half-emptied at the half with us leading, 24-0.

But I stayed for every single play.

And I STILL get that heart skipping a beat when I go to BDS. It's a lot like seeing one of those majestic European sites that's beautiful beyond what you've seen in pictures.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you will keep us posted here, I will do everything I can to go with you.

I lived in Ipswich, England the year they won the FA Cup, so we'd probably relate to one another somewhat well and break down a bit of the culture barrier.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The barn game is always the week of Thanksgiving, so that should play a role in planning your trip if you choose to go to that game.

Homecoming might be a good pick for a cupcake game. Nice weather and you might see some great players of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.