AJ McCarron almost traded to Browns

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It’s likely that Chargers, Steelers, and Pats will be looking for heir apparents for the next 3 years so he could land there

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It’s likely that Chargers, Steelers, and Pats will be looking for heir apparents for the next 3 years so he could land there
Would love to see AJ go to the Patriots since they just traded their backup. Even if he had to sit another year or two. How long did Steve Young backup Joe Montana before he went on to have a great career?

I think AJ would thrive in the Pats system.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
So you guys actually think it's better for AJ to sit on the bench for another 1/2 to 1 1/2 years with Cincy (after basically already sitting on the bench for 3.5 years) instead of starting for the Browns for 1/2 to 1 1/2 years and then deciding for himself if he wants to stay there or move on? I know they're a lousy franchise, but I guarantee you he'd rather get a real shot to start for the Browns, especially with how competitive he is. At least they'd appreciate him and give him playing time.

Going to the Browns (as a QB) is basically accepting that the move could ruin your career and probably end it. Going to the Browns mid season, without knowing the offense, without having a full off season to work with the OL, backs and WR's is asking to get physically beaten to death. This would be career suicide for McCarron if he had done this. Especially at this point in the season.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
This would be career suicide for McCarron if he had done this. Especially at this point in the season.
Not sure I agree with that. If he went in, got to start, and did well, he could probably secure a much more lucrative deal after than the one he has in Cincy.

But, Browns are gonna Browns.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Better to sit for a while than go to browns and get creamed 5 times a game until you cannot play at all. he is still young and healthy, still has time to get to a team that can protect him and win.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
When it comes to the Browns, "If" and "doing well" is on aisle 3 right beside the unicorns and bigfoot.
Yea but at least he knows the coach and the offense. If he goes somewhere else he could be adjusting to a new offense and trying to create a relationship with the coaching staff. The transition to the Browns would be pretty easy for him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yea but at least he knows the coach and the offense. If he goes somewhere else he could be adjusting to a new offense and trying to create a relationship with the coaching staff. The transition to the Browns would be pretty easy for him.
I could come closer to getting on board with that if he would have an off season and training camp to practice with the team before getting behind center in a game. The players already on the browns know the offense and the coach and still suck. Plus, I highly, highly doubt everything is the exact same as when Jackson was with the Bengals. They do play in the same division.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think I would want to get paid more than less, but that is me.
There is nothing that he was going to be able to do in the next 8 games at Cleveland that would have increased his next contract terms. He is going to get paid, and this trade was not going to have a positive impact on his value, but it might have hurt his value.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.