Lane Kiffin a realistic choice for Florida?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Three big cities spread across the a very long state - Knoxville is as close to Richmond as it is to Memphis. The rest of the state is small and rural.
Drive I-40, from Memphis to Nashville, and you go through one town. Almost as bleak as West Texas and New Mexico.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Most of my Texas friends swear the Oklahoma football tradition was bought and paid for, especially in the Switzer years.
Of course they were. Still, Norman is closer to Dallas than Austin is. Just like Alabama benefits greatly by being so close to Florida and Georgia, so to does Oklahoma by being an extension of the state of Texas. It’s all about location, location, location. It’s also why Oklahoma has held up better than Nebraska over the past 20 years.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Why is that? I have always heard that is the case, but never quite understood why. Are they focused more on other sports?
As mentioned above, demographics has a lot to do with it. In the South, good skill players in particular, tend to be African American. Tennessee has a very low population in African Americans outside Nashville and Memphis. Memphis is much closer to Tuscaloosa, not to mention Oxford, than it is to Knoxville. Hell, even Nashville is equidistant with Tuscaloosa and Knoxville. Think about it...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Of course they were. Still, Norman is closer to Dallas than Austin is. Just like Alabama benefits greatly by being so close to Florida and Georgia, so to does Oklahoma by being an extension of the state of Texas. It’s all about location, location, location. It’s also why Oklahoma has held up better than Nebraska over the past 20 years.

That, and a lot of folks dislike Austin and/or Bevo U. They prefer to go to Zero U. Not sure why. (Maybe in another 45 years, I'll figure it out.)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: Lane Kiffin to Florida

If Florida wants to go all Michigan it would be a good hire. Loads of PR. If they aren't going to upgrade facilities then go for the Publicity.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
As mentioned above, demographics has a lot to do with it. In the South, good skill players in particular, tend to be African American. Tennessee has a very low population in African Americans outside Nashville and Memphis. Memphis is much closer to Tuscaloosa, not to mention Oxford, than it is to Knoxville. Hell, even Nashville is equidistant with Tuscaloosa and Knoxville. Think about it...
Of course this is exactly what I was alluding to earlier. I wasn’t sure how to word that. Leave it to a lawyer to know how to state this diplomatically. Thank you.

This is pretty off topic at this point, but since we’ve gone this far, I’ve always wondered how the Vols would have fared if African Americans had played from the start of the Bama/UT series. East Tennessee is predominantly white as you can see from this map:

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/united-states/quick-facts/tennessee/black-population-percentage#map

My father told me when he was a kid it used to take about 5 hours to drive from Fayetteville to Nashville because it was all bad roads. I seriously doubt UT would have been able to develop into a blue blood program in those days because most of their players would had to have been from East Tennessee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Of course this is exactly what I was alluding to earlier. I wasn’t sure how to word that. Leave it to a lawyer to know how to state this diplomatically. Thank you.

This is pretty off topic at this point, but since we’ve gone this far, I’ve always wondered how the Vols would have fared if African Americans had played from the start of the Bama/UT series. East Tennessee is predominantly white as you can see from this map:

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/united-states/quick-facts/tennessee/black-population-percentage#map

My father told me when he was a kid it used to take about 5 hours to drive from Fayetteville to Nashville because it was all bad roads. I seriously doubt UT would have been able to develop into a blue blood program in those days because most of their players would had to have been from East Tennessee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Also working against UT is the makeup of its student body, which is about 90% from instate, against 40% at UA. Also, it's African American makeup is only about 6%, about half of UA's. (Off the top of my head from a couple of years ago.) Of course, football players sort of live in a bubble and you can encounter discrimination anywhere, but it has to work against them in recruiting to some degree...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Also working against UT is the makeup of its student body, which is about 90% from instate, against 40% at UA. Also, it's African American makeup is only about 6%, about half of UA's. (Off the top of my head from a couple of years ago.) Of course, football players sort of live in a bubble and you can encounter discrimination anywhere, but it has to work against them in recruiting to some degree...
Good insight...remember: perception is reality in life. I have always been amazed that AU is able to recruit top notch black athletes when their percentage on campus is so small. UA has always been more open and hospitable to the AA community in all manner of ways.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good insight...remember: perception is reality in life. I have always been amazed that AU is able to recruit top notch black athletes when their percentage on campus is so small. UA has always been more open and hospitable to the AA community in all manner of ways.
Several years ago, we had a member who had started his education at UT and finished at UA. He was an Alabama native and African American. His remarks were incendiary. He said that he always felt an outsider at UT but he always felt included in his time at UA. At the time, we had several active UT posters. (They sort of disappeared as the W/L ratio kept getting worse.) They took him to task, but he never backed down...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Maybe the topography has something to do with it. Many communities are in the hills or mountains...there are very few places big and flat enough to have a pickup game or even a practice field.

I'm not really being serious, but then again, when you think about it...
You may be on to something as far as East Tennessee goes. My wife and I love the State (hate the Vols) and spend a lot of time driving the hill and mountains there. I swear, it seems sometimes we drive for fifty miles before we find a flat spot. I am sure there is a football field at schools, but some towns and villages would have a hard time with pickup football unless it was in a parking lot.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I used to live in Knoxville and I did hear comments about the low number of black students and black population in general. Not much you can really do to change the demographics in East Tennessee as it probably goes back to the antebellum era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You may be on to something as far as East Tennessee goes. My wife and I love the State (hate the Vols) and spend a lot of time driving the hill and mountains there. I swear, it seems sometimes we drive for fifty miles before we find a flat spot. I am sure there is a football field at schools, but some towns and villages would have a hard time with pickup football unless it was in a parking lot.
As far as a state, there's none prettier than Tennessee. Nashville is my favorite place in the world and also the toughest.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
There is already a discipline / drama problem at Florida.... Kif would probably make it even worse.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If Florida doesn't make a serious run at Dan Mullen they are crazy. He is a seasoned, proven SEC head coach and has shown he can develop the lesser talent he gets at MSU. IMO he has done all he can do at MSU and even if he stays there it is a perennial 6-9 win program. At Florida he would have access to a wealth of high school talent and with the exception of UGA, his Florida teams would challenge for the SEC title in most years. There is a huge difference in being a head coach and being an SEC head coach. I am glad LSU did'nt get him to replace Les Miles.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Florida doesn't make a seriou run at Dan Mullen they are crazy. He is a seasoned, proven SEC head coach and has shown he can develop the lesser talent he gets at MSU. IMO he has done all he can do at MSU and even if he stays there it is a perennial 6-9 win program. At Florida he would have access to a wealth of high school talent and with the exception of UGA, his Florida teams would challenge for the SEC title in most years. There is a huge difference in being a head coach and being an SEC head coach. I am glad LSU did'nt get him to replace Les Miles.
Reportedly, he and Scott Stricklin don't have the best relationship. If that's true, Mullen won't get the job.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If I was Mullen I'd stay at MSU and wait it out until Saban retires. Mullen is already making around $4.5M. If he goes to another school he's not going to make that much more money but the expectations at a school like UF are sky high. He can win 8 games a year at MSU and be considered their greatest coach of all time but he'd get fired at UF for going 8-4 each year. Only advantage of going to a school like UF is he'll have a more realistic shot at winning conference and national championships..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.