Some clarity for the eeyores...

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
I don't remember watching a single Bama game this year I felt we wouldn't win. The closest for me was probably the FSU game.
For me it was A&M.

Last edited by a moderator:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Re: Some clarity for the eyeores...

Posters keep expressing concerns about the offense and the three and outs, are we assuming that we can't open it up if necessary? Even though we do not know what the offense is capable of, I believe the staff has some idea of the team's capability and will hopefully open the offense up if necessary. Don't you think that some of the conservative things we were doing against LSU were due to the fact that we were ahead and CNS appears to be conservative at heart?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Posters keep expressing concerns about the offense and the three and outs, are we assuming that we can't open it up if necessary? Even though we do not know what the offense is capable of, I believe the staff has some idea of the team's capability and will hopefully open the offense up if necessary. Don't you think that some of the conservative things we were doing against LSU were due to the fact that we were ahead and CNS appears to be conservative at heart?
The concern I have is that the team hasn't been developing those aspects during the games as much as they could have. So, everyone involved is a bit less prepared to open it up. That's not just the QB, that's everyone. Now, may be they are so good at it in practice, that they are fine with kind of hiding it from the opposition for now. But my concern is that a team that's grown used to just trying to ram the ball down the opponents throats, could struggle trying to make that change when the need presents itself (and has been noted the team seems slow to adjust in game). With the injuries to the defense, it stands to reason the team will get in a shootout sooner or later...

Last edited:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

The concern I have is that the team hasn't been developing those aspects during the games as much as they could have. So, everyone involved is a bit less prepared to open it up. That's not just the QB, that's everyone. Now, may be they are so good at it in practice, that they are fine with kind of hiding it from the opposition for now. But my concern is that a team that's grown used to just trying to ram the ball down the opponents throats, could struggle trying to make that change when the need presents itself (and has been noted the team seems slow to adjust in game). With the injuries to the defense, it stands to reason the team will get in a shootout sooner or later...
My hope is with all the injuries on Defense our offense goes into the next few games with the mindset that scoring is critical. WE must put up enough points in each game to allow for this defense to make some mistakes. We need to play like we need 40 to win, as we may need to allow for some defensive mistakes. The depleted line backing core may allow some teams to score more than usual, so we need to control the ball and keep the defense off the field more. We also need to play like we are behind, as I feel the defense is not 100% so to expect all those back ups to hold teams to 10-14 points may be a pipe dream. We better make every offensive possession count. We do not have the luxury of great and experienced defense to hold teams to low points now. I would think we may give up 20-25 points in some games now that we have some young guys playing. Time for the offense to caryy the defense for a while.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

It just doesn't make sense, if the scenario you are describing is true, that any coach would choose to go three and out that many times just because he's conservative at heart when he knew his team could do something different and make first downs, continue drives and put more points on the board.

If you are going 3 and out in the fourth quarter with your second and third teamers that's one thing, but if it's your first team in the 3rd quarter when you don't have a real comfortable lead that's a different story.

I said it in another thread, but it would seem that it's time to get over our risk aversion and take the chances that might allow us to score a couple more times a game even if it leads to an occasional pick.

My fear is we get into a shootout type scenario and we can't pull the trigger, no pun intended!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

We aren't hiding anything this late in the season. If we (meaning the coaching staff) could've scored more points vs LSU we would have. Besides, we were never up by more than 14 points in the game. That's not territory for conservative play calling..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Exactly & agree 100% Brother..It seems like the longer we stay undefeated & #1 in the country, folks in our fan fanbase expects even more "Perfection" out of our Boy's on the football field, which isn't unreasonable cause you expect even team in college football to get better after each game..But..We have to factor in all the injuries which has bit us on the backside every game this year it seems like..

No other team this side of the NFL could've overcame the magnitude of injuries we've suffered this year to hang on to the top spot..I honestly think coaching wise this has been Coach Saban's most impressive year at Bama & perhaps one of the best coaching jobs in the history of the game..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

And he knew with a double digit lead if we did not give the game away we would win the game. This is what Coach Saban has always done, especially against LSWho, and it is not surprising at all.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't remember watching a single Bama game this year I felt we wouldn't win. The closest for me was probably the FSU game.
I do not recall the last game I watched, in which I felt Alabama would not win (until the game was completely over). It was probably 2009 Tennessee, and Cody blocked his second FG of the day.

And if you are referring to not feeling like Alabama was going to win before the actual game was played, I would have to go back to 2007 LSU. I thought we had a decent chance, but I felt we would probably lose. I felt good about the Clemson game to open the 2008 season, and after we beat them down, I have felt we were going to win every time we played since.

Even during the NC game, until that blasted onside kick, I figured we'd somehow win it with a return.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

And he knew with a double digit lead if we did not give the game away we would win the game. This is what Coach Saban has always done, especially against LSWho, and it is not surprising at all.
Well, I wish he'd quit doing that. I really liked those games where we won by 60 points.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.