The Offense, specifically playcalling

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
So they only scored 10 points because they didn't execute, right? Had nothing to do with Alabama kicking their behinds?
We held them to 10 points because our guys controlled the LOS when they had the ball and LSU held us to 24 because their guys controlled the LOS when we had the ball. Probably not the fault of either Matt Canada or Brian Daboll. When the holes aren't there you can't run left, right, or up the middle. When pass protection frequently breaks down it doesn't matter what type of routes our guys try and run. What plays can an OC call when the opponent is controlling the LOS? How much of that is poor blocking by the OL vs. great play from the DL is open to debate. The point was that our guys were not blocking their guys for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Nope - your ability to "block better" is often dictated by the other team. You didn't block poorly because your o-line had a bad day. You blocked poorly because LSU's defensive line had a dominant performance. When Alabama's defensive linemen are in the other team's backfield, is that because they needed to block better? Nope. It is because of the excellent play of Alabama's defensive line.

When this happens, and it is going to happen, you have to adjust. That didn't happen. You still won because you are Alabama, but why help the other team by continuing the same thing time and again when it clearly is not working?
Isn't that the same thing? We block poorly = the opposition has a good day. Yeah, we have to play better.

Clearly our O-Line is better at run blocking. Of course no one can run very well into 8 man boxes. Then they send blitzes from that 8 man box meant to disrupt the passing game and we whiff. So I agree we have to adjust - but there were several third and longs that they brought less than 8 and we simply didn't give JH time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Isn't that the same thing? We block poorly = the opposition has a good day. Yeah, we have to play better.

Clearly our O-Line is better at run blocking. Of course no one can run very well into 8 man boxes. Then they send blitzes from that 8 man box meant to disrupt the passing game and we whiff. So I agree we have to adjust - but there were several third and longs that they brought less than 8 and we simply didn't give JH time.
One says "Alabama played poorly - nothing Daboll could do about it because we played poorly" - I say "their defense had a plan and the ability to execute it, which required your offense to do something different, which Daboll did not do". One is a defeatist approach which removes all blame from Daboll, assuming that nothing would have worked. The other recognizes that Daboll needs to do a better job of making adjustments and putting the players in a better position to have success.

No - not the same.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I know i may get flamed, but i'm over it. The reason that it appears that Daboll doesn't make adjustments is that there is only so much that our starter has proven to be able to do. He's a one-read then tuck it and run guy. I wish he would prove me otherwise. Love him, great kid and talented, but just wish he could show us more. I'm concerned against MSU, Auburn, and then possibly UGA that at least 2 of those 3 have defenses that will force the throw, and that may not end well. I wish that whoever taught the Tagovailoa boys to read the defense and see the field during the play could be on our staff.
You lose credibility when you say that. That's become a mantra of many but it's not true. He's not great at reading the field but he is improving and he is not a one-read and tuck guy. He does that at times but other times not so. He's hanging in the pocket much better and making his reads, though still lacking. Last night was a very good passing game on his part. His throwing is very good. Other than bailing early at times, in what ways could he have played better in the passing game last night ?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Daboll is.... okay, but he is very predictable at times.

I think we really need to stop switching rbs every other drive against good defensive teams because it is obvious that Damien is the better back, and bo tip toes to losses a lot. Both can fly if they get to the second level but would you rather have a guy that constantly goes forward or a boom or bust guy. They are both NFL talents but I believe Bo has lost some of his effectiveness from last year.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I again find myself in the minority. I was pleased with the win, and the play-calling. LSU had some dropped passes that could have made a big difference. We had some too. The kicking game made a huge difference in our favor.
Daboll has not been forced to gamble with much besides our bread and butter plays. In 2011 it took another game against LSU to make the adjustments necessary on offense to move the ball.

Rolling a QB out cuts half the field for our passing. It is effective if it's unexpected but can cause trouble if the DE or safety make a play.

I felt like LSU came with a great game plan. LSU has very good players. They had two weeks to prepare and two well respected coordinators. Our players made more outstanding plays than theirs. All but 1 team from here on out will have the horses to beat us if they get a few breaks.

It's starting to get to the fun part of the year.:BigA:

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
To those of you trashing JH, go back and re-watch the game. He made some really good throws. I remember one in particular on a third and 9 where he snuck one in to Cam Sims to extend a drive. Is he perfect? No. But he didn't make a bunch of mistakes. He didn't get us beat.
LSU, for all it's other issues, is a very talented team and can out talent just about anyone they play (see AU game where they came from 20 down to win). We weren't playing chopped liver or Spam last night. Plus, as someone else has already mentioned, they had a plan and stuck with it. Not to mention all the dadgum injs we had last night. All that and we still won by 2 TDs over the #19 team in the country.
They ALWAYS get up for their game with us more so than most any other.
Are there things we need to improve on? Yeah. But it's a whole lot easier to make improvements being 9 - 0 than it is being 5 - 4, etc.
Not sure there was a whole lot we could have done differently ,except, maybe perhaps try to run up the middle a little more.
Dabol is still learning on the job. But, again, we're 9 - 0 and just two games away from playing for another SEC Championship.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I strongly urge people to re watch the game again last night. Hurts did real good job last night making plenty of throws. Those that are frustrated about Hurts running.. many of you failed to see that LSU defense was all over our RBs and Hurts all night long. Jalen escaped pressures so many times only to make great throws. This is not Jalen's fault. The OL couldn't do their job and if they had done their job... We would've seen 14 more points added to the score.

50 percent blame should go toward to Daboll/Key (OL Coach) for not really making adjustments to counter the blitzes.
30 percents should go to receivers for dropping the passes.. we had at least 5 dropped passes that could've been critical play.
10 percent should go to Jalen... Some plays he missed open guys...
10 percent should go to whoever you want to blame on.

But, I strongly encourage everyone to watch the game again.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
Guys perhaps I saw a different game. I do realize that the defensive game plan for LSU was to load the box which could account for our lack of rushing yardage. They were selling out against the run believing JH couldn’t beat them with his arm. Somehow this great LSU gave up 24 points while they only got 10 points ... seven points off a defensive bust. While LSU gave great effort they came 14 points short. And lest we forget we took a knee at the end instead of driving for another score. Was it our best rushing game - not at all but it is difficult to block eight with five yet still we had two rushing TD and one passing another opportunity turned into a field goal because evidently the rules on PI changed. I am less concerned with our line play than I am with our defensive situation with the losses we have suffered at LB position. Hope that is fixed before we visit Cowbellvile.

9-0 Roll Tide Roll

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Guys perhaps I saw a different game. I do realize that the defensive game plan for LSU was to load the box which could account for our lack of rushing yardage. They were selling out against the run believing JH couldn’t beat them with his arm. Somehow this great LSU gave up 24 points while they only got 10 points ... seven points off a defensive bust. While LSU gave great effort they came 14 points short. And lest we forget we took a knee at the end instead of driving for another score. Was it our best rushing game - not at all but it is difficult to block eight with five yet still we had two rushing TD and one passing another opportunity turned into a field goal because evidently the rules on PI changed. I am less concerned with our line play than I am with our defensive situation with the losses we have suffered at LB position. Hope that is fixed before we visit Cowbellvile.

9-0 Roll Tide Roll
I'm more concerned about the OL than the Defense. I know I have harped on OL for weeks... and I know folks are sick of me bringing it up. I understand we had 8 on 5 situations a lot... But middle line of OL.. if they had blocked properly... RBs or Hurts would've at least get at least 4 or 5 yards... few times.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm more concerned about the OL than the Defense. I know I have harped on OL for weeks... and I know folks are sick of me bringing it up. I understand we had 8 on 5 situations a lot... But middle line of OL.. if they had blocked properly... RBs or Hurts would've at least get at least 4 or 5 yards... few times.
Yes, even with all the injuries on defense I think this team goes as far as the OL takes us. Can't think of much more we could have tried on offense other than a few trick plays. I'm pretty sure if we had the OL like we had in 2012 nobody would complain much about play calling. We'd roll over just about anyone.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
There were several occasions when the offensive line created a pocket for QB protection and Hurts did a good job of stepping up into the pocket and then stepping into his throws. This was a rarity last year and is one area that I've seen improvement in Hurts.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
He should have called tge plays where our wrs catch the balls.

I would also have been ok with plays where the o line provided pass protection or running lanes.

All i know is we cant call any more of these, get beat by the defensive line every snap plays, i dont know why we even have them in the playbook

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
He should have called tge plays where our wrs catch the balls.

I would also have been ok with plays where the o line provided pass protection or running lanes.

All i know is we cant call any more of these, get beat by the defensive line every snap plays, i dont know why we even have them in the playbook
I'm confused... There was plays where Receivers had opportunities to catch the balls. They dropped balls between 4-6 times.

The problems with our OL wasn't doing good job. it doesn't matter what plays was called... They still would've struggled.

Then, You have to take LSU defense into consideration. They're that good. They also jumped the snaps few times...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The play calling is fine if we block better and don't drop passes. In this game, it was the execution IMO.
Daboll is.... okay, but he is very predictable at times.
I have been consistent with insisting Daboll is not a proven commodity at OC. He was an emergency hire, he'd been out of work for years as an OC. Does that mean he's bad or incompetent? No, it doesn't. But he also hasn't had success as an OC and was out of work as an OC for the past few years. So, I went into this with some trepidation. The thing that stands out to me is predictability. I read what Daboll was going to do before he got to Alabama, and he's pretty much done that. So, the question that begs is if he's taken full advantage of what he has available since he is being relatively predictable. The counter of course would be that overall he's performing and that even mediocre at the NFL level is excellent at the college level.

My concern is that Daboll had bludgeoned lesser teams with Alabama's superior physicality. That's great when you are bigger/stronger/faster. He's leaned on the run and just demolished lesser teams with great results. But, against LSU or FSU for example, two physically talented teams, his offense failed to dominate in the same way (remember Alabama put up the least yards against FSU of any opponent). Alabama had 19 more yards than FSU did and 7 less yards than LSU did. This is disconcerting, Syracuse had more yards against LSU and FSU than Alabama did. Florida's non-existent offense put up more yards against LSU. So, the big concern is that Daboll's Alabama offense is basically fool's gold. It looks shiny enough, but as of right now that's mainly because he ran the ball a lot against teams that had no shot of stopping the run.

So you see I'm not exaggerating, Alabama has 413 rushes for 2,506 yards. Alabama only has 217 pass attempts for 1,791 yards. That's not even closed to being balanced. For the sake of comparison, last year Alabama ran 650 times for 3,704 yards. They passed 416 times for 3125 yards. The good is that they are rushing the ball a bit better, the bad is that while Hurts has obviously improved as a passer, he's passing less and the disparity between run/pass has grown instead of shrunk. Now, that doesn't mean Daboll is without a master plan. That doesn't mean something is wrong, but it is disconcerting.

What I hoped to see this year was a commitment to developing Hurts as a passer. This meant in the games where Alabama obviously was in control, Hurts would be forced to throw the ball more. This has not been the case a lot of the time. Against Fresno State he passed 18 times and ran 10 times. Against Ole Miss he passed 19 times and ran 10 times. The same for Arkansas. That's a common ratio for him, but it's alarming that he didn't seem to run less or throw more, even in blowouts. I'm not bashing Daboll for getting away from doing a lot of behind the line of scrimmage stuff, but it seems that some short passes that would develop Hurts and the receivers, have gone away in favor of sure thing runs which in some cases is just suffocating an already dead opponent. This leads me to be concerned that Alabama has underdeveloped some aspects of their passing game, in particular parts of it that might be good counters to what the defense is doing.

Having said all that, I still think the jury is out on Daboll. If the biggest knock is he runs too much and Alabama's yardage is unimpressive against physical defenses, things might be fine. After all his job is to put the team in position to win, not look pretty doing it.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
My concern is that Daboll had bludgeoned lesser teams with Alabama's superior physicality. That's great when you are bigger/stronger/faster. He's leaned on the run and just demolished lesser teams with great results. But, against LSU or FSU for example, two physically talented teams, his offense failed to dominate in the same way (remember Alabama put up the least yards against FSU of any opponent). Alabama had 19 more yards than FSU did and 7 less yards than LSU did. This is disconcerting, Syracuse had more yards against LSU and FSU than Alabama did. Florida's non-existent offense put up more yards against LSU. So, the big concern is that Daboll's Alabama offense is basically fool's gold. It looks shiny enough, but as of right now that's mainly because he ran the ball a lot against teams that had no shot of stopping the run.

So you see I'm not exaggerating, Alabama has 413 rushes for 2,506 yards. Alabama only has 217 pass attempts for 1,791 yards. That's not even closed to being balanced. For the sake of comparison, last year Alabama ran 650 times for 3,704 yards. They passed 416 times for 3125 yards. The good is that they are rushing the ball a bit better, the bad is that while Hurts has obviously improved as a passer, he's passing less and the disparity between run/pass has grown instead of shrunk. Now, that doesn't mean Daboll is without a master plan. That doesn't mean something is wrong, but it is disconcerting.
I think Daboll is just doing what Saban and some of the fan base was clamoring for. Many fans who were critical of Kiffin said we were passing too much and that we need to get back to the bread and butter running game. We probably have more depth at RB than we ever did. After last season when we had too many quick 3 and outs I think Coach Saban felt we had to get back to emphasizing the running game more so we could try to keep the football longer and rest our defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.