Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

On "Mike and Mike" Jon Gruden was asked about the UT job and he refused to deny interest. He said, I love my family and football -- you never completely shut the door on anything because you never know what the future holds. He did say that he had not talked to anyone...which doesn't mean his agent has not talked to someone.

If I'm a UT fan my heart rate just went up about 50%...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I hope Gruden and Kelly come to SEC. Maybe then one of those teams can actually give Saban a game. Both could help our SOS lol

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA

You should hear the local sports talk radio here in Knoxville. It's hilarious! "I heard from my best friend's cousin's plumber's assistant that his nephew knows someone who knows Gruden's gardener. Well, anyway, the other day Gruden hit his funny bone on the corner of a table, and while he was cursing about it, he didn't explicitly deny coming to Tennessee. I gotta good feelin' 'bout this!"

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

You should hear the local sports talk radio here in Knoxville. It's hilarious! "I heard from my best friend's cousin's plumber's assistant that his nephew knows someone who knows Gruden's gardener. Well, anyway, the other day Gruden hit his funny bone on the corner of a table, and while he was cursing about it, he didn't explicitly deny coming to Tennessee. I gotta good feelin' 'bout this!"
Gruden's wife is meeting with a realtor this weekend. Heard it from a buddy who's nephew cleans septic tanks at one of the nicer trailer parks in Knoxville.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't know what talk radio sounded like in the days leading up to CNS coming to Bama, but I imagine some in Alabama were talking foolishly too.

I imagine when folks heard a Bama fan talking about the possiblility of CNS, they were rolling their eyes too.

We had two things going for us that UT does not: 1. Our program never got has bad as theirs outside of losing to the Barn and UT for several years. 2. We had Mal Moore.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

On "Mike and Mike" Jon Gruden was asked about the UT job and he refused to deny interest. He said, I love my family and football -- you never completely shut the door on anything because you never know what the future holds. He did say that he had not talked to anyone...which doesn't mean his agent has not talked to someone.

If I'm a UT fan my heart rate just went up about 50%...
This is what he said:

“You know what Mike, I haven’t talked to anybody and all I really have in my life is my family and football, that’s it,” Gruden said. “I’m real sensitive to the coaches that are out there, so I don’t speculate. I just love football and I’m just trying to hang on to the job I have. I’m very fortunate to be with the people I’m with.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future, I just know this — I’m going to give my best effort to the game, stay prepared and I love Monday Night Football, don’t plan on leaving, but as you know in life, you never say never.”

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

This is what he said:

“You know what Mike, I haven’t talked to anybody and all I really have in my life is my family and football, that’s it,” Gruden said. “I’m real sensitive to the coaches that are out there, so I don’t speculate. I just love football and I’m just trying to hang on to the job I have. I’m very fortunate to be with the people I’m with.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future, I just know this — I’m going to give my best effort to the game, stay prepared and I love Monday Night Football, don’t plan on leaving, but as you know in life, you never say never.”
He actually answered that question far better than Saban did in Miami, although it is a bit easier to answer when you are a MNF analyst and not the head coach of an NFL team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bidgood

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2011

Maybe he's keeping the door open for after the next guy fails, and CNS is closer to retirement. I can't see him jumping in to that mess unless his current job is in question.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

$4.5 a year and he's about to rule that state for years and he has JOB SECURITY. Hard to beat that.
Add the fact that he would have way more unrealistic expectations and with a worse recruiting situation. I see Mullen only taking 1 of 4 jobs in the SEC if offered, and Tennessee is not one of them. He is likely to either ride out his career at MSU, wait for a job like Bama, aTm, or ND to open up, or jump to the NFL. Jobs like Tennessee and Nebraska are not better jobs than MSU in this era of college football.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

He actually answered that question far better than Saban did in Miami, although it is a bit easier to answer when you are a MNF analyst and not the head coach of an NFL team.

I always thought CNS got beat up too much for his "I'm not going to Alabama statement." I live in Texas and I can honestly say "I'm not moving anywhere" and mean it. But something could change tomorrow or next week or next year.

I think if I was a coach I would just adopt the answer: "I don't have any comment."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Tailback John Kelly on the one characteristic he's looking for in Tennessee's next head coach: "Honesty." Wow lol..

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I would love to see Mike Leach in the SEC. Not sure if I'd like him at Tennessee but in the SEC nonetheless. The press conferences and quotes would never get old.
He could set up a pirate navy on the Tennessee river

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX

I imagine when folks heard a Bama fan talking about the possiblility of CNS, they were rolling their eyes too.

We had three things going for us that UT does not: 1. Our program never got has bad as theirs outside of losing to the Barn and UT for several years. 2. We had Mal Moore. and 3. President Witt
fify

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.