Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I would think Florida is more attractive job from a simple recruiting stand point.
Yup..Florida should always be a Top 5 recruiting year in & year out just based on instate recruiting(not including cherry picking out of state talent)..

As far as Tennessee goes if you can't recruit big time nationally you best be a miracle worker with coaching up the 3* or less instate talent..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Phil Savage, who I consider to be brilliant, when asked today on Sirius college sports, "If you were the AD at UT who would you go after"?
He replied, "Without one doubt, I'd make David Cutcliffe tell me no, and I'd do everything I could to get Tee Martin to come as offensive coordinator. Those two could pull the fan base together and take the program forward".
I agree 100%.
Mentioned I had seen Cutcliffe mentioned on Twitter a few days ago. He'd be solid but I bet he's not enough of a "splash" hire for them.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Mentioned I had seen Cutcliffe mentioned on Twitter a few days ago. He'd be solid but I bet he's not enough of a "splash" hire for them.
At this point you would think they would quit worrying about splash hires and just want a good coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Cutcliffe is on record saying he had zero desire to work at a 'high pressure' job again.
I think David Cutcliffe is totally happy at Duke. He has had a good bit of medical issues in the last few years and he just doesn't need the stress. The Tennessee fan base is not behind him either.
I agree he is a good coach and can stay at Duke until he retires.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
They don't need a splash hire ...they need a proven college coach...and Cutcliffe fits that bill....waaaaay more than Gruden
I think there’s a good chance Cutcliffe would like to take the job. Remember Urban saying he was out of coaching? CDC makes $1.7 million at Duke. Vols could more than double that and the man has a history at Tennessee. It’d be a good fit. I’m sure Vol fans would love to take Tee Martin from USC too.

For the life of me , I cannot see why other potential candidates (Mullen, Fuente, Peterson, Gundy) would want to leave more stable jobs for that unstable mess in Knoxville.

Even so, they should open the checkbook for Fuente. He can recruit West Tennessee from experience in Memphis and can also draw from the Virginia area. And he’s younger than Cutcliffe.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think there’s a good chance Cutcliffe would like to take the job. Remember Urban saying he was out of coaching? CDC makes $1.7 million at Duke. Vols could more than double that and the man has a history at Tennessee. It’d be a good fit. I’m sure Vol fans would love to take Tee Martin from USC too.

For the life of me , I cannot see why other potential candidates (Mullen, Fuente, Peterson, Grundy) would want to leave more stable jobs for that unstable mess in Knoxville.

Even so, they should open the checkbook for Fuente. He can recruit West Tennessee from experience in Memphis and can also draw from the Virginia area. And he’s younger than Cutcliffe.

Gundy turned them down last time.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think there’s a good chance Cutcliffe would like to take the job. Remember Urban saying he was out of coaching? CDC makes $1.7 million at Duke. Vols could more than double that and the man has a history at Tennessee. It’d be a good fit.
I honestly think Cutcliffe isn't worried about the cash - he;s worried about his health. There's virtually no pressure at Duke - the same cannot be said at tennessee...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I honestly think Cutcliffe isn't worried about the cash - he;s worried about his health. There's virtually no pressure at Duke - the same cannot be said at tennessee...
Yeah, you may be right but coaches get feeling better and want to take another shot. They’re like boxers who don’t know when to quit.

When did Cutcliffe say he didn’t want a high pressure job again?

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
They don't need a splash hire ...they need a proven college coach...and Cutcliffe fits that bill....waaaaay more than Gruden
What they need vs what they want or what we want for them. Someone posted recently major stadium renovations underway for them, I was thinking that if it's an option they would lean toward splash to boost the dollars.

Splash (and nose dive) over substance sounds just fine to me in their case.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

For the life of me , I cannot see why other potential candidates (Mullen, Fuente, Peterson, Gundy) would want to leave more stable jobs for that unstable mess in Knoxville.

I don't see a groundswell for Martin on their boards. When he's suggested, there must be ten poster with "no way" responses. I don't know the back story on it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What they need vs what they want or what we want for them. Someone posted recently major stadium renovations underway for them, I was thinking that if it's an option they would lean toward splash to boost the dollars.

Splash (and nose dive) over substance sounds fine to me in their case.
I could take a crew with paint brushes and resize those seats to modern butts in a weekend and improve it 100%. Of course, it'd seat only 85K or so... :D

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Cutcliffe is on record saying he had zero desire to work at a 'high pressure' job again.
He is also 63 years old. I don’t see him as a serious candidate even if he is interested.

I don’t blame him. He is at a spot where he can go 56-67 in ten years and keep his job.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't see a groundswell for Martin on their boards. When he's suggested, there must be ten poster with "no way" responses. I don't know the back story on it...
He has never been a head coach, so he has no real record to judge him on. It wouldn’t be a splashy hire as the average person probably doesn’t know who he is beyond “QB after Peyton who won a national title”.

He is also black. That could play a factor even if nobody would say it.

But, yes, I have seen the same things. Someone will throw his name out and get shot down. There is also a faction that wants to hire Peyton. I think he has the drive to be a good coach, not sure how he’d work out starting at the top.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Yeah and paint the entire end zones. It’s so stupid how they have the paint a yard from the goal line.
I think they have to do it that way or else the white squares of the checkerboard would blend into the goal line/side line/end line. Probably rule based issue if I was guessing. Don't know about the NCAA, but I've seen this quoted as the NFL rule:

Rule 1, Section 2, paragraph 4
Care must be exercised in any end-zone marking or decoration or club identification at the 50-yard line that said marking or decorations do not in any way cause confusion as to delineation of goal lines, sidelines, and end lines. Such markings or decorations must be approved by the Commissioner.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.