Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

They're going to have to change their song...."Ain't no smoggy smoke on Chucky Top!" LOL!!!

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA

They would get an immediate shot in the recruiting arm. Everything else would depend on who he hires as coordinators. Maybe he brings Trent Dilfer along as QB coach.
I was thinking that exact same thing. If he took the UT job, there would be an exciting buzz in the air for a while and they would get some recruits from it. But once the dust settled, I wouldn't expect a whole lot from him.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

He's a TV star and he has the QB camp show thing that the young folks seem to love. He's the hip name out there right now. I could see recruiting getting a bump from this hire at first but, it will fade as the L's stack up.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

He's a TV star and he has the QB camp show thing that the young folks seem to love. He's the hip name out there right now. I could see recruiting getting a bump from this hire at first but, it will fade as the L's stack up.
I love listening to him on MNF. He knows the X's and O's as many have pointed out, but he's never been what I would consider a great coach. Maybe a notch above Harbaugh but that's about it. These days, Tennessee is not going to consistently bring in the players like it once did especially with ACC on the rise, Georgia & Kirby, Bama & CNS.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I was always skeptical of this but maybe Gruden understands the handwriting on the wall with ESPN/NFL and sees an opportunity to take home the vault from UT with a Saban-like deal—whether he’s successful there or not.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I love listening to him on MNF. He knows the X's and O's as many have pointed out, but he's never been what I would consider a great coach. Maybe a notch above Harbaugh but that's about it. These days, Tennessee is not going to consistently bring in the players like it once did especially with ACC on the rise, Georgia & Kirby, Bama & CNS.
I think he is worse than Harbaugh. Sure he won a SB, but it was with a team Dungy built. Harbaugh actually took a team that was a dumpster fire and made them a credible power to a SB

Sure you can make the case that Gruden built his SB opponent’s team, but take into account that he lived off a really bad AFC West. Sure the case could be made that the Tuck Rule game possibly prevented him from going to one in 2001, but it is more likely that he doesn’t beat the Steelers or Rams the next two games.

I think Harbaugh recruits very good, but he has very great competition in the Big 10 that prevents him from producing great results. Gruden faces similar competition going to Tennessee with horrible recruiting limitations. If he was to take a job in the SEC then he would be better off taking a job at aTm or Florida.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Despite his charisma and personality it's been said he doesn't like recruiting. Is this actually true?
If true, then I am in full support of his hire...

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I'll honestly believe it when I see it, although if it's true ESPN is thinking about dumping MNF that would make it far more plausible.

He certainly has the name, personality, etc. to be a superstar recruiter. I'm curious if he has the energy/interest in it though. He's been out of the college game for what, 25 years?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I just talked with my most connected UT guy and he expressed the same concerns about Gruden that have been mentioned here. Hasn’t coached in 19 years, not a recruiter, can he develop talent. He seemed to think Justin Fuente was the man. Who knows? I’m not sure how reliable my friend’s information is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

I'll honestly believe it when I see it, although if it's true ESPN is thinking about dumping MNF that would make it far more plausible.

He certainly has the name, personality, etc. to be a superstar recruiter. I'm curious if he has the energy/interest in it though. He's been out of the college game for what, 25 years?
This ^^^ For the past 15 years or so, Gruden has been what Jimmy Johnson was in the 1980's and 90's - the "Hot" rumor any time a big college program needed a coach. Johnson was probably "connected" (by fans) to dozens of CFB jobs - and never ONCE did he seriously consider taking one - IF even one of them was even offered to him.

Same deal for Gruden. FWIW, yea, it would be a huge payday - but I sorta doubt he's "hurting" financially in the least. They pay NFL coaches pretty well, even back when he was coaching, and its not like he's making minimum wage at ESPiN! ;)

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

I think he is worse than Harbaugh. Sure he won a SB, but it was with a team Dungy built. Harbaugh actually took a team that was a dumpster fire and made them a credible power to a SB

Sure you can make the case that Gruden built his SB opponent’s team, but take into account that he lived off a really bad AFC West. Sure the case could be made that the Tuck Rule game possibly prevented him from going to one in 2001, but it is more likely that he doesn’t beat the Steelers or Rams the next two games.

I think Harbaugh recruits very good, but he has very great competition in the Big 10 that prevents him from producing great results. Gruden faces similar competition going to Tennessee with horrible recruiting limitations. If he was to take a job in the SEC then he would be better off taking a job at aTm or Florida.
Harbaugh was bound to have a rough year this year. He had 11 players from his last team drafted. Thats a lot of talent to lose in one class. Heard someone mention Jimmy Johnson back in the day. Wonder how he would do in this modern age. I know he does not have the will or desire to coach although.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Harbaugh was bound to have a rough year this year. He had 11 players from his last team drafted. Thats a lot of talent to lose in one class. Heard someone mention Jimmy Johnson back in the day. Wonder how he would do in this modern age. I know he does not have the will or desire to coach although.
IOW, Harbaugh won with the players Brady Hoke recruited and left him in Ann Arbor?

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I don't watch much NFL but flipped to a game for a little bit last week and complained to my wife when she walked by that "this guy won't shut up". I didn't know who it was until she told me it was Gruden. He kept speaking for the QB as the snap was coming and blabbing about where the alignment is and where the ball should go when the viewing audience couldn't see the whole field to know what he was talking about. I'm glad he doesn't do Bama games.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

He seemed to think Justin Fuente was the man.
Another who ain't up to replacing the coach he's taken over for at VaTech, but who would be totally up (or down) to "replacing" Botch on the level of unmet expectations. Justin, come on down to Toxville, Knennessee! - particularly in light of your "signature" successes so far in Blacksburg...

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

IOW, Harbaugh won with the players Brady Hoke recruited and left him in Ann Arbor?
Yes -- with players who underachieved under Hoke and were pretty awesome under Harbaugh.

Same thing that happened with the 49ers... Harbaugh gets a lot out of his guys.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yes -- with players who underachieved under Hoke and were pretty awesome under Harbaugh.

Same thing that happened with the 49ers... Harbaugh gets a lot out of his guys.
He took over Michigan in 2015. Because of the uncertainty around Hoke's future, the 2014 class was weaker than the 2013 and 2012 classes. In those two, he finished with the #6 and #4 classes in the nation. His four recruiting classes averaged #15. He signed two 5*s, 46 4*s, and 39 3*s. Harbaugh might get more out of his guys. Or he might have inherited a talented roster full of RS Sophomores and Juniors.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.