Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee - Page 6
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 301
  1. #66
    BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    3,384

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    He's a TV star and he has the QB camp show thing that the young folks seem to love. He's the hip name out there right now. I could see recruiting getting a bump from this hire at first but, it will fade as the L's stack up.
    The poster formerly known as RollTide1017

  2. Advertisement
  3. #67
    BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama
    Posts
    4,461

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    He's a TV star and he has the QB camp show thing that the young folks seem to love. He's the hip name out there right now. I could see recruiting getting a bump from this hire at first but, it will fade as the L's stack up.
    I love listening to him on MNF. He knows the X's and O's as many have pointed out, but he's never been what I would consider a great coach. Maybe a notch above Harbaugh but that's about it. These days, Tennessee is not going to consistently bring in the players like it once did especially with ACC on the rise, Georgia & Kirby, Bama & CNS.
    ďI know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games.Ē - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

  4. #68
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    10,275

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    I was always skeptical of this but maybe Gruden understands the handwriting on the wall with ESPN/NFL and sees an opportunity to take home the vault from UT with a Saban-like deal—whether he’s successful there or not.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  5. #69
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    I love listening to him on MNF. He knows the X's and O's as many have pointed out, but he's never been what I would consider a great coach. Maybe a notch above Harbaugh but that's about it. These days, Tennessee is not going to consistently bring in the players like it once did especially with ACC on the rise, Georgia & Kirby, Bama & CNS.
    I think he is worse than Harbaugh. Sure he won a SB, but it was with a team Dungy built. Harbaugh actually took a team that was a dumpster fire and made them a credible power to a SB

    Sure you can make the case that Gruden built his SB opponentís team, but take into account that he lived off a really bad AFC West. Sure the case could be made that the Tuck Rule game possibly prevented him from going to one in 2001, but it is more likely that he doesnít beat the Steelers or Rams the next two games.

    I think Harbaugh recruits very good, but he has very great competition in the Big 10 that prevents him from producing great results. Gruden faces similar competition going to Tennessee with horrible recruiting limitations. If he was to take a job in the SEC then he would be better off taking a job at aTm or Florida.

  6. #70
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Despite his charisma and personality it's been said he doesn't like recruiting. Is this actually true?
    If true, then I am in full support of his hire...

  7. #71
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    One told me that Alabama's reign of terror is over and "Gruden will own Saban"
    Bartender, I would like one of whatever it is he is drinking...

  8. #72

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    I'll honestly believe it when I see it, although if it's true ESPN is thinking about dumping MNF that would make it far more plausible.

    He certainly has the name, personality, etc. to be a superstar recruiter. I'm curious if he has the energy/interest in it though. He's been out of the college game for what, 25 years?

  9. #73
    BamaNation All-American Go Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milan, TN
    Posts
    4,155

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    I just talked with my most connected UT guy and he expressed the same concerns about Gruden that have been mentioned here. Hasnít coached in 19 years, not a recruiter, can he develop talent. He seemed to think Justin Fuente was the man. Who knows? Iím not sure how reliable my friendís information is.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #74
    BamaNation First Team TomFromBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    298

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I'll honestly believe it when I see it, although if it's true ESPN is thinking about dumping MNF that would make it far more plausible.

    He certainly has the name, personality, etc. to be a superstar recruiter. I'm curious if he has the energy/interest in it though. He's been out of the college game for what, 25 years?
    This ^^^ For the past 15 years or so, Gruden has been what Jimmy Johnson was in the 1980's and 90's - the "Hot" rumor any time a big college program needed a coach. Johnson was probably "connected" (by fans) to dozens of CFB jobs - and never ONCE did he seriously consider taking one - IF even one of them was even offered to him.

    Same deal for Gruden. FWIW, yea, it would be a huge payday - but I sorta doubt he's "hurting" financially in the least. They pay NFL coaches pretty well, even back when he was coaching, and its not like he's making minimum wage at ESPiN!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

  11. #75
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    16,018

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    Bartender, I would like one of whatever it is he is drinking...
    My response to him was similar. Only I said, "Can I buy some pot from you?"
    Architects do it with models.

    Roll Tide Roll

  12. #76
    BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fairhope, Alabama
    Posts
    2,686

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I think he is worse than Harbaugh. Sure he won a SB, but it was with a team Dungy built. Harbaugh actually took a team that was a dumpster fire and made them a credible power to a SB

    Sure you can make the case that Gruden built his SB opponent’s team, but take into account that he lived off a really bad AFC West. Sure the case could be made that the Tuck Rule game possibly prevented him from going to one in 2001, but it is more likely that he doesn’t beat the Steelers or Rams the next two games.

    I think Harbaugh recruits very good, but he has very great competition in the Big 10 that prevents him from producing great results. Gruden faces similar competition going to Tennessee with horrible recruiting limitations. If he was to take a job in the SEC then he would be better off taking a job at aTm or Florida.
    Harbaugh was bound to have a rough year this year. He had 11 players from his last team drafted. Thats a lot of talent to lose in one class. Heard someone mention Jimmy Johnson back in the day. Wonder how he would do in this modern age. I know he does not have the will or desire to coach although.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

  13. #77

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    Harbaugh was bound to have a rough year this year. He had 11 players from his last team drafted. Thats a lot of talent to lose in one class. Heard someone mention Jimmy Johnson back in the day. Wonder how he would do in this modern age. I know he does not have the will or desire to coach although.
    IOW, Harbaugh won with the players Brady Hoke recruited and left him in Ann Arbor?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  14. #78
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    I don't watch much NFL but flipped to a game for a little bit last week and complained to my wife when she walked by that "this guy won't shut up". I didn't know who it was until she told me it was Gruden. He kept speaking for the QB as the snap was coming and blabbing about where the alignment is and where the ball should go when the viewing audience couldn't see the whole field to know what he was talking about. I'm glad he doesn't do Bama games.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!