Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

LOL, you can bet on ANYTHING.

Somewhere, there's probably a line to bet on what color of tie someone is going to wear tomorrow...
Yep. Last year's Super Bowl prop bets had these. Crazy!

What will Luke Bryan be wearing when he sings the national anthem.

What color will Lady Gaga's hair be when performing at halftime.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

The only thing that makes me think it might be true is the fact that 11RC is saying nothing when the entire world knows they are about to can their coach. The fact the UF and Ole Miss has the jump on them would make me want to get out there and start the process. Sounds to me they have their man wrapped up.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I would be completely shocked. The very few times he's actually addressed it in detail, he has said it's because being in the booth provides him more freedom (with time) to be involved in his family's everyday affairs. Where as a coach in the NFL/College requires you to basically be an absentee husband and father. He's having his cake and eating it to. He's able to make millions of dollars, be involved in a sport he loves AND, AND be actively involved with his family. Good lord why in the world would he give that up?
I had this conversation about Gruden with a boss. He said, an NFL coach makes more money/year, but will only go to the Superbowl every few years, at best, and many never will. However, who goes to the Superbowl every year, without exception? ESPN does. Every year.
So Gruden makes less money than an NFL coach, but he has a lot less stress and will be at every Superbowl until he quits. That's not a bad gig.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

I hear they are giving some guy named Doug Dickey consideration. **blue font**

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I said a legitimate contender. They would have been shown to have no business being a playoff team last year had they gotten there instead of Ohio State.

Look, I'll give Harbaugh credit for being a good recruiter and an excellent hype-generator for his program. However, even with those better recruits, better pre-season rankings, etc. than Brady Hoke had, he's still performing worse on the field against ranked teams, against his biggest rivals, and in the final Big Ten standings than Hoke.

Which is more important - recruiting rankings and pre-season rankings or final season standings?

Harbaugh, at Michigan, has been outstanding at things that don't matter nearly as much and mediocre at what matters most.
I love you. These others will hate you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

If Gruden returns to coaching it’s because he wants to compete. He looks in the mirror and sees a coach rather than a commentator. He watches games and thinks he could do it better than the guys who are coaching the game. He sees a challenge and wants to face it.

Nick Saban is the same kind of guy.

According to Forbes Gruden makes 6.5 million/year and is the highest paid personality at ESPN.

What I really don’t get is why UT? UT is no longer a premier program. He could have had Texas or Florida if he’s that hot a commodity. Perhaps NFL teams are not as interested as we think.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

If Gruden returns to coaching it’s because he wants to compete. He looks in the mirror and sees a coach rather than a commentator. He watches games and thinks he could do it better than the guys who are coaching the game. He sees a challenge and wants to face it.

According to Forbes Gruden makes 6.5 million/year and is the highest paid personality at ESPN.

What I really don’t get is why UT? UT is no longer a premier program. He could have had Texas or Florida if he’s that hot a commodity. Perhaps NFL teams are not as interested as we think.
Wow. I did not know that. That's a lot of cake.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I would be completely shocked. The very few times he's actually addressed it in detail, he has said it's because being in the booth provides him more freedom (with time) to be involved in his family's everyday affairs. Where as a coach in the NFL/College requires you to basically be an absentee husband and father. He's having his cake and eating it to. He's able to make millions of dollars, be involved in a sport he loves AND, AND be actively involved with his family. Good lord why in the world would he give that up? Especially to go to the crap hole that is Tennessee.
I had this conversation about Gruden with a boss. He said, an NFL coach makes more money/year, but will only go to the Superbowl every few years, at best, and many never will. However, who goes to the Superbowl every year, without exception? ESPN does. Every year.
So Gruden makes less money than an NFL coach, but he has a lot less stress and will be at every Superbowl until he quits. That's not a bad gig.

Have you all been paying attention to all the cuts ESPN's been making and the overpayment of their media rights deals? It wouldn't make sense for Gruden to entertain UT or any other coaching job UNLESS he knows the gravy train at ESPN will be coming to an end at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN starts giving up parts of their exclusive media deals. Maybe even the most expensive parts like Monday Night Football and they aren't keeping Gruden around as an analyst for $6.5M a year. Just food for thought. If Gruden takes the UT job it's probably because he can see that his cushy job making $6.5M/year isn't going to last forever like he once thought..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

So Gruden makes less money than an NFL coach
Possibly - he's ESPN's highest paid on-air employee, making an esteemed $6.5 million per year - if true, that means only six NFL coaches make more than he does.

Talk about a good gig...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Possibly - he's ESPN's highest paid on-air employee, making an esteemed $6.5 million per year - if true, that means only six NFL coaches make more than he does.

Talk about a good gig...
For a tiny fraction of the work.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Have you all been paying attention to all the cuts ESPN's been making and the overpayment of their media rights deals? It wouldn't make sense for Gruden to entertain UT or any other coaching job UNLESS he knows the gravy train at ESPN will be coming to an end at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN starts giving up parts of their exclusive media deals. Maybe even the most expensive parts like Monday Night Football and they aren't keeping Gruden around as an analyst for $6.5M a year. Just food for thought. If Gruden takes the UT job it's probably because he can see that his cushy job making $6.5M/year isn't going to last forever like he once thought..
Why is it automatic to think if he loses the ESPN gig that he'll get back into coaching? The guy has made $6.5M/year for quite sometime now JUST from ESPN. That's not taking into account the other revenue streams (endorsements, appearances etc.) he's had for the same amount of time. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that coaching is an automatic landing place if the ESPN gig gets unplugged.

If anything he may pursue a management level position on an NFL team.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

That's a good point. I'd have to see the fine print in his contract. The link Go Bama provided was from 2015. Maybe they are in the process of renegotiating that deal.
if it was me and I could make anywhere near the same money for commenting on football or coaching football, I'd take the former. Much less stress and guaranteed chance of making the Superbowl every year (in the sense of being involved in the festivities).

Plus, Knoxville ...

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Why is it automatic to think if he loses the ESPN gig that he'll get back into coaching? The guy has made $6.5M/year for quite sometime now JUST from ESPN. That's not taking into account the other revenue streams (endorsements, appearances etc.) he's had for the same amount of time. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that coaching is an automatic landing place, even if the ESPN gig gets unplugged.

If anything he may pursue a management level position on an NFL team.
I don't think Gruden is the type of person to sit around and twiddle his fingers because he's financially set for life. I think, as you say, a front office position in the NFL might entice him as well as possibly coaching. He may not need money today but there will come a time in his life where he won't be able to make whatever UT would potentially offer him or what an NFL team would offer him to be the head coach..

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Does anyone think Gruden will ever coach at any level ever again? He has been hot topic for openings for yrs, and he has never seemed interested at all to return to coaching. I think he knows at this point, he has everything to lose and nothing to gain by coming back to coaching.
Look at Bill Cowher. The guy is good enough to continue coaching at the NFL but has no inclination to return. Same thing with Gruden. In the case of Cowher and Gruden they get paid similar to H.C. but without the stresses of being the H.C. Neither guy is returning to coaching. At this point, you can write that statement in pen.

So, for the UTe fans hoping for Gruden, they should give up the dream.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Look at Bill Cowher. The guy is good enough to continue coaching at the NFL but has no inclination to return. Same thing with Gruden. In the case of Cowher and Gruden they get paid similar to H.C. but without the stresses of being the H.C. Neither guy is returning to coaching. At this point, you can write that statement in pen.

Cowher doesn't make anywhere close to a NFL head coach. IIRC, last I read he made around $2M. Now, that's great pay considering the type of work he does but there's still plenty of monetary incentive if an organization offers to triple your pay. Even with that being said I agree with you about Cowher - I don't think he's coming back but I think there's a chance with Gruden..

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

And instead go full-bore with their pursuit of Skunky McCarthy in Green Bay. If only...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Well I’ll say this, if Gruden does give up the cushy ESPN job for the HC job at UT, he will absolutely regret it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida

Funny.

Seriously, any coach that is truly a good-to-great college football coach should at least win the division at Michigan once in three tries if not the Big Ten.

Now, maybe Harbaugh will go on a tear, surprise the heck out of me and many others, and win his division and/or the Big Ten twice out of the next three years to get to a one-in-three average - at which point I will gladly acknowledge his competence - but he has shown no real signs, yet, of actually being able to do that.
I believe he is holding his camp in Fairbanks the last week of February to identify some tough guys.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.