Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee - Page 8
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    When Michigan has a head coach who "gets a lot out of his guys", is good at managing his coaches and the game, and is a good recruiter Michigan is a perennial National Championship contender.

Michigan hasn't been a legitimate National Championship contender in quite some time.

Talk to me once they win their own division, much less win a Big Ten Championship or make the College Football Playoff.

I don't care what Harbaugh did in the NFL; he's not coaching in the NFL. Just answer this question for me... How many years has he been a head coach at an FBS school and how many championships of any type has he won during that time.

:yawn:
    Absolutely! Any Coach, with Michigan's tradition, should have won at least six national championships in his first three years!

2. Advertisement

Apparently, the betting odds of Gruden being the coach have gone from 500-1 to 2-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American Go Bama's Avatar

FWIW, the Vols have not won a game vs the SEC West since Ole Miss ....... in 2010.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Apparently, the betting odds of Gruden being the coach have gone from 500-1 to 2-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow. That is a massive move in odds. Has to be a very serious negotiations.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Absolutely! Any Coach, with Michigan's tradition, should have won at least six national championships in his first three years!
    Funny.

Seriously, any coach that is truly a good-to-great college football coach should at least win the division at Michigan once in three tries if not the Big Ten.

Now, maybe Harbaugh will go on a tear, surprise the heck out of me and many others, and win his division and/or the Big Ten twice out of the next three years to get to a one-in-three average - at which point I will gladly acknowledge his competence - but he has shown no real signs, yet, of actually being able to do that.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American

Funny.

Seriously, any coach that is truly a good-to-great college football coach should at least win the division at Michigan once in three tries if not the Big Ten.

Now, maybe Harbaugh will go on a tear, surprise the heck out of me and many others, and win his division and/or the Big Ten twice out of the next three years to get to a one-in-three average - at which point I will gladly acknowledge his competence - but he has shown no real signs, yet, of actually being able to do that.
    Stanford was UK when he got there and almost won the PAC12 North his fourth year, his only loss being to Oregon at their peak; he did take them to the Orange Bowl that year and won 12 games for the first time in school history. He built the program that Shaw has carried on.I understand people's challenge to his ability based on no championships at the college level, but context is everything. E.g., Saban won the SEC West his 2nd year with a 5-3 record vs Harbaugh's 8-1 record. Chance and circumstance mean a lot. He's now in the toughest division in college football: OSU, PSU, MSU, Mich - he came into the Big 10 at the wrong time and still did an immediate turnaround and almost won 1 division title and was in the race the other year, but had 2 crazy type losses those first 2 years. I understand some will withhold credit til he wins a title, some of which is understandable, maybe even justifiable, but really unfair at this point, IMO. He has definitely "shown signs" of being able to do it. Btw, I can't stand his personality or manner and hope he and Mich always lose. But that doesn't change the fact that he is an outstanding coach.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoastGhost View Post
    If Gruden wants to coach college ball, why would he choose to live in Knottsville

as opposed to Gainesville

?
    Joey Freshwater sure did high-tail it out of there in a hurry. Perhaps because of low-tail.

Michigan hasn't been a legitimate National Championship contender in quite some time.
    I guess "last year" was a long time ago.

I'm pretty surprised Gruden wants this gig. I can't imagine he is just going to jump into the college game and be successful after years of not coaching and most of his coaching career taking place in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I'm pretty surprised Gruden wants this gig. I can't imagine he is just going to jump into the college game and be successful after years of not coaching and most of his coaching career taking place in the NFL.
    I still seriously doubt he does. Has there been a report from any credible source about this? Everywhere I look it's just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I had no idea you could actually bet on that. One thing to remember about odds in these situations: They don't necessarily favor the most likely candidate-they favor the candidate that Vegas wants you to bet on . . . so they make money. The main reason betting lines change during the week in Vegas is because they need to ensure that they money is evenly split, so that they have plenty to take their cut from.

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    I had no idea you could actually bet on that. One thing to remember about odds in these situations: They don't necessarily favor the most likely candidate-they favor the candidate that Vegas wants you to bet on . . . so they make money. The main reason betting lines change during the week in Vegas is because they need to ensure that they money is evenly split, so that they have plenty to take their cut from.
    That's true with a point spread -- I assure you, having Gruden at 2 to 1 means they think it is likely to happen and don't want to get caught with their pants down. If true that's a pretty good indicator it's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I still seriously doubt he does. Has there been a report from any credible source about this? Everywhere I look it's just speculation.
    No idea. I haven't really been following this thread closely because I am kinda shocked that this is even a possibility.