Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

I believe he is holding his camp in Fairbanks the last week of February to identify some tough guys.
Juh-juh-junction part II.....brrrrrrrrrrrrr! :tongue:

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

Why is it automatic to think if he loses the ESPN gig that he'll get back into coaching? The guy has made $6.5M/year for quite sometime now JUST from ESPN. That's not taking into account the other revenue streams (endorsements, appearances etc.) he's had for the same amount of time. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that coaching is an automatic landing place if the ESPN gig gets unplugged.

If anything he may pursue a management level position on an NFL team.
Hooters
Corona
Bridgestone
Am I forgetting any?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Well I’ll say this, if Gruden does give up the cushy ESPN job for the HC job at UT, he will absolutely regret it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He can make more money there than he will at ESPN. If he is a success, he is a folk hero there. If he fails, he still made a pile of money and can go back to TV. Even if he doesn’t get a TV job after UT fires him, he really doesn’t need a job and can spend time with the grandkids.

I don’t want him replacing Saban, but in their spot you could do worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

You can't beat fall in Tennessee, but pretty much everybody can beat Tennessee in the fall.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

You never know with a pro coach. Bama got a fired Gene Stallings and won a National Championship. USC hired a fairly unsuccessful pro coach in Pete Carroll and had a great run. That is the HOPE in Vol land. Personally, I think Gruden would fall way short of those two standards.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

He can make more money there than he will at ESPN. If he is a success, he is a folk hero there. If he fails, he still made a pile of money and can go back to TV. Even if he doesn’t get a TV job after UT fires him, he really doesn’t need a job and can spend time with the grandkids.

I don’t want him replacing Saban, but in their spot you could do worse.

Just to play devil’s advocate, Gruden would likely lose national endorsements by coaching in Knoxville. Also, he gets 50,000 - 100,000 for speaking engagements. That well may dry up in Knoxville. And we don’t really know what UT can afford to pay. If the Gruden coached Vols continue to perform poorly it will hurt his credibility if he wants to get back into broadcasting.

Long Term, he’ll possibly make more as an analyst.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I didn’t think about his commercials, I really didn’t know about them.

I guess he does make more at ESPN but I doubt he’ll need food stamps if he does move. There is also the possibility ESPN drops MNF and he is out of a job completely.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Just to play devil’s advocate, Gruden would likely lose national endorsements by coaching in Knoxville.
But with that Chucky smile he could get a ton of Dentist endorsement in Tenrsee.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Has Gruden said anything, one way or the other, about his interest in the TN job right now? I know that Gruden joked earlier this year that college football might be a problem for him because of all the rules, saying that he would probably have his team in trouble with the NCAA. I know that they were talking when they hired Jones (Gruden said the timing wasn't right), but what about now? I haven't heard a word from his camp.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You never know with a pro coach. Bama got a fired Gene Stallings and won a National Championship. USC hired a fairly unsuccessful pro coach in Pete Carroll and had a great run. That is the HOPE in Vol land. Personally, I think Gruden would fall way short of those two standards.
I don't disagree with your basic point. However, I would point out that Tennessee is NEITHER Alabama NOR USC. I think culture is part of the difference there as well.

Of course, a counter argument to my statement would be Jimmy Johnson......but he moved FROM college TO the pros (and only because his old college roommate was an owner, otherwise probably not), not backward.

And John Robinson was great at USC, did very well with the Rams, came back to USC and failed to really meet expectations though he did win a solitary Rose Bowl.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Btw - even Clay Travis, who was pouring gasoline into the "Gruden to Tennessee" RV trip, has come out and said he doesn't think Gruden is coming to Knoxville. Two days ago he said he actually thinks that Dan Mullen will be the next coach of the Big Orange, which would mean yet ANOTHER SEC team is in the middle of a coach hire.

Funny circle?

Mullen to Tennessee
Malzahn to Arkansas
Petrino to Auburn
Miles to MSU

(I find the last one to be the most highly unlikely, but the other three are not nearly so far-fetched, especially if Auburn loses to both us and UGA.......on the flip side, I honestly think Malzahn should be given one more year with his QB coming back. The major issue there might possibly be the new AD).

If that scenario above occurred we would have:

Alabama with the former LSU coach
Auburn with the former Arky coach
Arky with the former Auburn coach
LSU with the former Ole Miss coach
UTe with the former MSU coach
MSU with the former LSU coach
USCe with the former UF coach

Fully half the SEC would have coaches who had previously coached....in the SEC.....

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Btw - even Clay Travis, who was pouring gasoline into the "Gruden to Tennessee" RV trip, has come out and said he doesn't think Gruden is coming to Knoxville. Two days ago he said he actually thinks that Dan Mullen will be the next coach of the Big Orange, which would mean yet ANOTHER SEC team is in the middle of a coach hire.

Funny circle?

Mullen to Tennessee
Malzahn to Arkansas
Petrino to Auburn
Miles to MSU

(I find the last one to be the most highly unlikely, but the other three are not nearly so far-fetched, especially if Auburn loses to both us and UGA.......on the flip side, I honestly think Malzahn should be given one more year with his QB coming back. The major issue there might possibly be the new AD).

If that scenario above occurred we would have:

Alabama with the former LSU coach
Auburn with the former Arky coach
Arky with the former Auburn coach
LSU with the former Ole Miss coach
UTe with the former MSU coach
MSU with the former LSU coach
USCe with the former UF coach

Fully half the SEC would have coaches who had previously coached....in the SEC.....
A bunch of guys with different hats but same results against Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.