Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee - Page 9
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast
Results 105 to 117 of 297
  1. #105

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    I had no idea you could actually bet on that. One thing to remember about odds in these situations: They don't necessarily favor the most likely candidate-they favor the candidate that Vegas wants you to bet on . . . so they make money. The main reason betting lines change during the week in Vegas is because they need to ensure that they money is evenly split, so that they have plenty to take their cut from.
    Going from 500-1 to 2-1 is such a massive jump, they aren't just trying to get an even split or make money.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  2. Advertisement
  3. #106
    BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    6,387

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I guess "last year" was a long time ago.
    They canít be a legitimate NC contender if they donít make the playoffs...

  4. #107
    BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Florence, AL
    Posts
    6,999
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I guess "last year" was a long time ago.
    Apparently so...

    2016 Big Ten East Standings:
    1. Penn State
    2. Ohio State
    3. Michigan
    4. Indiana
    5. Maryland
    6. Michigan State
    7. Rutgers

    ...and the supposed best team in the Big Ten last year, Ohio State, got shut out in the CFP.

    In fact, the Big Ten has been outscored 71-0 in their last two CFP games, which points to the conference, as a whole, being over-valued. And, this season, the Big Ten will most likely lose out on the CFP altogether. So, for three seasons - including this one - it appears as though the best of the best in the Big Ten has been good but not great teams and, yet, Harbaugh's best is just third in their division.

    Perhaps it feels like Harbaugh is doing a great job but, if you look at the actual results on the field, he is actually doing worse, overall, against his rivals, against ranked teams, and in the final Big Ten standings than his predecessor, Brady Hoke, who got fired for his mediocrity.



    Let me repeat that... Harbaugh is getting worse results, on the field, at Michigan than Brady Hoke did at Michigan.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

    Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

  5. #108

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Apparently so...

    2016 Big Ten East Standings:
    1. Penn State
    2. Ohio State
    3. Michigan
    4. Indiana
    5. Maryland
    6. Michigan State
    7. Rutgers

    ...and the supposed best team in the Big Ten last year, Ohio State, got shut out in the CFP.

    In fact, the Big Ten has been outscored 71-0 in their last two CFP games, which points to the conference, as a whole, being over-valued. And, this season, the Big Ten will most likely lose out on the CFP altogether. So, for three seasons - including this one - it appears as though the best of the best in the Big Ten has been good but not great teams and, yet, Harbaugh's best is just third in their division.

    Perhaps it feels like Harbaugh is doing a great job but, if you look at the actual results on the field, he is actually doing worse, overall, against his rivals, against ranked teams, and in the final Big Ten standings than his predecessor, Brady Hoke, who got fired for his mediocrity.
    I mean, they were #3 in the playoff rankings with a game to go and lost to Ohio State on a bad call. I think saying they weren't contenders last year is disingenuous. They curbstomped the conference champion 49-10.

    Agreed the B1G was overvalued last year, but it's still one of the top conferences in college football and the B1G East is the deepest division int he country.

    People can play the "hasn't won a title" card, but I think the performance (and more importantly the instant improvement) everywhere he's been in both college and the pros is extremely telling. Anyone who doesn't think he's a very good coach is extremely biased, IMO.

  6. #109
    BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Florence, AL
    Posts
    6,999
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I mean, they were #3 in the playoff rankings with a game to go and lost to Ohio State on a bad call. I think saying they weren't contenders last year is disingenuous. They curbstomped the conference champion 49-10.

    Agreed the B1G was overvalued last year, but it's still one of the top conferences in college football and the B1G East is the deepest division int he country.

    People can play the "hasn't won a title" card, but I think the performance (and more importantly the instant improvement) everywhere he's been in both college and the pros is extremely telling. Anyone who doesn't think he's a very good coach is extremely biased, IMO.
    I said a legitimate contender. They would have been shown to have no business being a playoff team last year had they gotten there instead of Ohio State.

    Look, I'll give Harbaugh credit for being a good recruiter and an excellent hype-generator for his program. However, even with those better recruits, better pre-season rankings, etc. than Brady Hoke had, he's still performing worse on the field against ranked teams, against his biggest rivals, and in the final Big Ten standings than Hoke.

    Which is more important - recruiting rankings and pre-season rankings or final season standings?

    Harbaugh, at Michigan, has been outstanding at things that don't matter nearly as much and mediocre at what matters most.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

    Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

  7. #110

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I mean, they were #3 in the playoff rankings with a game to go and lost to Ohio State on a bad call. I think saying they weren't contenders last year is disingenuous. They curbstomped the conference champion 49-10.

    Agreed the B1G was overvalued last year, but it's still one of the top conferences in college football and the B1G East is the deepest division int he country.

    People can play the "hasn't won a title" card, but I think the performance (and more importantly the instant improvement) everywhere he's been in both college and the pros is extremely telling. Anyone who doesn't think he's a very good coach is extremely biased, IMO.
    He is clearly a very good coach but he hasn't proven to be elite. I think that tends to be the hangup with him. He is often talked about in the same breath as Meyer, Saban, and Dabo but he just isn't in their league at this point.

  8. #111

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    He is clearly a very good coach but he hasn't proven to be elite. I think that tends to be the hangup with him. He is often talked about in the same breath as Meyer, Saban, and Dabo but he just isn't in their league at this point.
    This. I know Harbaugh is a good coach, but he gets so much praise for not even winning a division title in college. Not to mention his off the field antics...
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  9. #112

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Going from 500-1 to 2-1 is such a massive jump, they aren't just trying to get an even split or make money.
    Can't we just do away with the suspense and get the Phuller Tush Man renamed head coach and Chucky coach-in-waiting as he transitions from espn back into college football only 27 years later...? Sort of like Kiffies Jr. and Sr. on a far-less talented level.

  10. #113
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    12,775

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Funny.

    Seriously, any coach that is truly a good-to-great college football coach should at least win the division at Michigan once in three tries if not the Big Ten.

    Now, maybe Harbaugh will go on a tear, surprise the heck out of me and many others, and win his division and/or the Big Ten twice out of the next three years to get to a one-in-three average - at which point I will gladly acknowledge his competence - but he has shown no real signs, yet, of actually being able to do that.
    He's getting extremely close to being really good though.

  11. #114
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    21,823

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Let me repeat that... Harbaugh is getting worse results, on the field, at Michigan than Brady Hoke did at Michigan.

    (Foghorn Leghorn voice) Hushyomouf boy, I say hush it shut now! Well, before you hush it go wash it out boy! Jimmy-boy is one of the best coaches in the country son. He wins twitter battles all day long. Show some respect boy! I say! These yung-uns these days!
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; November 7th, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  12. #115
    BamaNation All-SEC RobK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Holts Summit, MO
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    I certainly wouldn't blame Gruden for seeking out a late-career hit at the money till that coaching these days has become. He's probably maxed out on earning potential on television. The question for me would be whether he would want to step into the hothouse of the SEC at Tennessee and deal with year-round recruiting, delusional boosters, and everything else, or would he want to take total control of an NFL franchise for more money in a league environment he has already been successful in? There are probably at least a half-dozen NFL owners that would give him the proverbial "keys to the car" for the asking.
    Defense STILL wins championships. RTR!!!

  13. #116
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    No way it was because of a job interview. For one, probably wouldn't be in Knoxville anyway. Would probably meet people elsewhere to discuss it. Plus, Childers wouldn't openly say it if it was true.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ....or maybe they are counting on us to think that.....



    Last edited by NoNC4Tubs; November 7th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

  14. #117

    Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

    Can you actually bet on who their next coach is?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!