Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

If Gruden wants to coach college ball, why would he choose to live in Knottsville

as opposed to Gainesville

?:biggrin2:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I listen to Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel every morning on Sirius College Sports.
Today Childers said, "Rick won't be here today, he's in Knoxville, Tennessee, take that anywhere you want to go with it"...
I have no idea if there's any legs to this at all, but thought I'd report it...

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

I listen to Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel every morning on Sirius College Sports.
Today Childers said, "Rick won't be here today, he's in Knoxville, Tennessee, take that anywhere you want to go with it"...
Would be interesting fit.

Not sure he would tell that if he was interviewing

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If he is really interviewing, I seriously doubt he’d let it be mentioned on his radio show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

No way it was because of a job interview. For one, probably wouldn't be in Knoxville anyway. Would probably meet people elsewhere to discuss it. Plus, Childers wouldn't openly say it if it was true.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I just talked with my most connected UT guy and he expressed the same concerns about Gruden that have been mentioned here. Hasn’t coached in 19 years, not a recruiter, can he develop talent. He seemed to think Justin Fuente was the man. Who knows? I’m not sure how reliable my friend’s information is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know about Gruden but I can't see Justin Fuente going from VT to UT. He has got the VT program turned around and performing well in the ACC. He will be fine in that job as long as he can win 8 or 9 games a year. At UT, he would be expected to win the SEC and get in the playoffs. Tennessee is going to be a rebuild again but it's not as bad Butch Jones had.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

No way it was because of a job interview. For one, probably wouldn't be in Knoxville anyway. Would probably meet people elsewhere to discuss it. Plus, Childers wouldn't openly say it if it was true.

One would certainly think not...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I don't know about Gruden but I can't see Justin Fuente going from VT to UT. He has got the VT program turned around and performing well in the ACC. He will be fine in that job as long as he can win 8 or 9 games a year. At UT, he would be expected to win the SEC and get in the playoffs. Tennessee is going to be a rebuild again but it's not as bad Butch Jones had.
UT fans feel like they have talent there now. They’ve recruited well and have the expectation that with the right coach they can win next year. Their team has been decimated with injuries. They need to find a QB with their new coach.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Yes -- with players who underachieved under Hoke and were pretty awesome under Harbaugh.

Same thing that happened with the 49ers... Harbaugh gets a lot out of his guys.

When Michigan has a head coach who "gets a lot out of his guys", is good at managing his coaches and the game, and is a good recruiter Michigan is a perennial National Championship contender.

Michigan hasn't been a legitimate National Championship contender in quite some time.

Talk to me once they win their own division, much less win a Big Ten Championship or make the College Football Playoff.

I don't care what Harbaugh did in the NFL; he's not coaching in the NFL. Just answer this question for me... How many years has he been a head coach at an FBS school and how many championships of any type has he won during that time.

:yawn:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

When Michigan has a head coach who "gets a lot out of his guys", is good at managing his coaches and the game, and is a good recruiter Michigan is a perennial National Championship contender.

Michigan hasn't been a legitimate National Championship contender in quite some time.

Talk to me once they win their own division, much less win a Big Ten Championship or make the College Football Playoff.

I don't care what Harbaugh did in the NFL; he's not coaching in the NFL. Just answer this question for me... How many years has he been a head coach at an FBS school and how many championships of any type has he won during that time.

:yawn:
Absolutely! Any Coach, with Michigan's tradition, should have won at least six national championships in his first three years!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Apparently, the betting odds of Gruden being the coach have gone from 500-1 to 2-1.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

FWIW, the Vols have not won a game vs the SEC West since Ole Miss ....... in 2010.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Apparently, the betting odds of Gruden being the coach have gone from 500-1 to 2-1.

Wow. That is a massive move in odds. Has to be a very serious negotiations.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Absolutely! Any Coach, with Michigan's tradition, should have won at least six national championships in his first three years!
Funny.

Seriously, any coach that is truly a good-to-great college football coach should at least win the division at Michigan once in three tries if not the Big Ten.

Now, maybe Harbaugh will go on a tear, surprise the heck out of me and many others, and win his division and/or the Big Ten twice out of the next three years to get to a one-in-three average - at which point I will gladly acknowledge his competence - but he has shown no real signs, yet, of actually being able to do that.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Funny.

Seriously, any coach that is truly a good-to-great college football coach should at least win the division at Michigan once in three tries if not the Big Ten.

Now, maybe Harbaugh will go on a tear, surprise the heck out of me and many others, and win his division and/or the Big Ten twice out of the next three years to get to a one-in-three average - at which point I will gladly acknowledge his competence - but he has shown no real signs, yet, of actually being able to do that.
Stanford was UK when he got there and almost won the PAC12 North his fourth year, his only loss being to Oregon at their peak; he did take them to the Orange Bowl that year and won 12 games for the first time in school history. He built the program that Shaw has carried on.I understand people's challenge to his ability based on no championships at the college level, but context is everything. E.g., Saban won the SEC West his 2nd year with a 5-3 record vs Harbaugh's 8-1 record. Chance and circumstance mean a lot. He's now in the toughest division in college football: OSU, PSU, MSU, Mich - he came into the Big 10 at the wrong time and still did an immediate turnaround and almost won 1 division title and was in the race the other year, but had 2 crazy type losses those first 2 years. I understand some will withhold credit til he wins a title, some of which is understandable, maybe even justifiable, but really unfair at this point, IMO. He has definitely "shown signs" of being able to do it. Btw, I can't stand his personality or manner and hope he and Mich always lose. But that doesn't change the fact that he is an outstanding coach.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

If Gruden wants to coach college ball, why would he choose to live in Knottsville

as opposed to Gainesville

?:biggrin2:
Joey Freshwater sure did high-tail it out of there in a hurry. Perhaps because of low-tail.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm pretty surprised Gruden wants this gig. I can't imagine he is just going to jump into the college game and be successful after years of not coaching and most of his coaching career taking place in the NFL.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I'm pretty surprised Gruden wants this gig. I can't imagine he is just going to jump into the college game and be successful after years of not coaching and most of his coaching career taking place in the NFL.
I still seriously doubt he does. Has there been a report from any credible source about this? Everywhere I look it's just speculation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.