Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hearing from some people that they've actually landed Gruden and have an MOU in hand.

I've outlined before why I hope they actually hire Gruden, but I'll re-hash here:
...as someone who grew up in Orlando and a long-time Bucs fan, I've seen what he is as a coach first-hand:
- he inherited a LOADED team from Dungy, won the SB against his former offense, then trended down for years, ending his time with an overall record of 60-57. If you remove that first year from his record he was a pretty dismal 45-53 at Tampa.
- he's a legendary X and O guy, but also pretty well known as lacking the ability to develop talent, often showing his frustration when players didn't do precisely what he wanted, despite the fact he was unable to actually teach them how to do the things he wanted.
- he's known for an overly complex system, one that many NFL players had difficulty keeping up with and fully understanding. His plays calls in particular were so long and so specific that it often caused problems with the QB having time for a pre-snap read of the defense.
- he's hasn't coached any football in almost 10 years!
- he's never coached college football, never recruited, never had to hire a defensive staff (he inherited Monte Kiffin's crew and kept them in Tampa)...

I mean, other than being known for MNF, there's nothing to be excited about regarding Gruden. If he wasn't handed a loaded Bucs squad on a silver platter, he wouldn't have that SB ring. The tennessee fans hilariously think everyone is quaking at the thought of Gruden going to ut, but I would LOVE to see it happen...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

Please let this be true! To go from Sgt. Carter to Chucky is just too funny.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

If he is actually considering going to 11RC, he is not as smart as I thought he was.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Hopefully, they pay 12M a year, with a 15M buyout.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

Hearing from some people that they've actually landed Gruden and have an MOU in hand.

I've outlined before why I hope they actually hire Gruden, but I'll re-hash here:
...as someone who grew up in Orlando and a long-time Bucs fan, I've seen what he is as a coach first-hand:
- he inherited a LOADED team from Dungy, won the SB against his former offense, then trended down for years, ending his time with an overall record of 60-57. If you remove that first year from his record he was a pretty dismal 45-53 at Tampa.
- he's a legendary X and O guy, but also pretty well known as lacking the ability to develop talent, often showing his frustration when players didn't do precisely what he wanted, despite the fact he was unable to actually teach them how to do the things he wanted.
- he's known for an overly complex system, one that many NFL players had difficulty keeping up with and fully understanding. His plays calls in particular were so long and so specific that it often caused problems with the QB having time for a pre-snap read of the defense.
- he's never coached college football, never recruited, never had to hire a defensive staff (he inherited Monte Kiffin's crew and kept them in Tampa)...

I mean, other than being known for MNF, there's nothing to be excited about regarding Gruden. If he wasn't handed a loaded Bucs squad on a silver platter, he wouldn't have that SB ring. The tennessee fans hilariously think everyone is quaking at the thought of Gruden going to ut, but I would LOVE to see it happen...
I grew up in Tampa as a Bucs fan, and everything you've said is exactly correct.
I'll also add that once he managed to get Rich McKay pushed out and Bruce Allen brought in to rubber-stamp his personnel decisions, the team went to hell-in-a-handbasket. This is going to get melty good in a hurry.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I, too, think Gruden would be a failure as a college coach. There is a reason he's stayed in the booth with ESPN for a decade: he's not wanted by NFL executives. His reputation around the league has soured to a degree that even the most retread hiring heavy professional league will not touch him. For all the reasons crimsonaudio listed above I would love to see him in Knoxville.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I have to think the stupid-money they are offering made him shrug his shoulders and say, "Whet the heck, I can do that for three years, take a golden parachute buyout and go back to being a CommonTater, a rich commonTater!"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think you meant to say he's never been a head coach in college ball. He's coached at the college level at several schools, including his first job - at UT. All else, I agree with...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I can't see him taking the job. He's got it made doing what he's doing with about a sixteenth of the work involved.
UT is a five year minimum rebuilding job with a ton of obstacles to overcome.
I might be dead wrong but I can't believe he'd be interested.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

What is a MOU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

I don’t follow the NFL but he seemed to have flamed out quickly. Having said that and if these reports are true, he will be an improvement over every UT coach since Fulmer and would be an overwhelmingly popular choice with the home folks.

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ

I cannot believe a major college football program would hire a coach who has been out of coaching for 10 years! That in and of itself is a losing proposition.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

I cannot believe a major college football program would hire a coach who has been out of coaching for 10 years! That in and of itself is a losing proposition.
Who said 11RC is a major college football program? :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.