Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Snippet from rotoworld:

Pewter Report’s Scott Reynolds believes there’s "interest on both sides" between the Bucs and Jon Gruden.

Gruden has been broadcasting with ESPN since getting fired from Tampa in 2008. He’s turned down multiple offers from teams, but hasn’t ruled out a return to coaching. With Dirk Koetter on the hot seat, it’s possible the Bucs reunite with Gruden after the season. Tampa has a franchise quarterback in Jameis Winston and a playoff-caliber roster. There are behind-the-scene rumors the Bucs are the job Gruden wants.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
For the life of me , I cannot see why other potential candidates (Mullen, Fuente, Peterson, Gundy) would want to leave more stable jobs for that unstable mess in Knoxville.

Even so, they should open the checkbook for Fuente. He can recruit West Tennessee from experience in Memphis and can also draw from the Virginia area. And he’s younger than Cutcliffe.
I don't think Fuente would leave Va Tech for UT. He seems happy in Blacksburg. He had opportunities for splashier jobs when he took the Hokies job; but seemed deliberate in waiting on just the right one. Can't see him leaving after only two seasons. Obviously, I could be totally wrong.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

Enough that, when they were interviewing Gary Patterson a few years ago, they still thought they were "big time."

...and still think that.
And now they’ve reached out to him again. “Hey, just kickin the tires here, but you ain’t still sore over what we said the last time, are ya?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
But, yes, I have seen the same things. Someone will throw his name out and get shot down. There is also a faction that wants to hire Peyton. I think he has the drive to be a good coach, not sure how he’d work out starting at the top.

You know what’s crazy? Majority of ut fans know that Manning isn’t coming back to coach ut. Like, ever.

It’s the TITANS fans who keep clamoring for Manning to take over, like immediately, with no front office experience, as the GM and be the next John Elway, GM extraordinaire

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Tennessee needs to hand Les Miles a blank check & tell him to write the check for whatever it takes to hire him..I would make Leslie so no to me multiple times before I stopped asking..I think Les would be Tennessee best hire or should say no HC that is rated higher or is considered a better HC than Les..Would leave the school they coach for cause it would be step down for them..Tennesse needs a HC that can recruit at a higher level Nationally than what Butch Jones & Dooley did..Les can flat out recruit & his name would sell itself on a national level..

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Like hes there. . .But that offense though :conf3:

That situation was seen as an issue by more than just LSU

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Tennessee needs to hand Les Miles a blank check & tell him to write the check for whatever it takes to hire him..I would make Leslie so no to me multiple times before I stopped asking..I think Les would be Tennessee best hire or should say no HC that is rated higher or is considered a better HC than Les..Would leave the school they coach for cause it would be step down for them..Tennesse needs a HC that can recruit at a higher level Nationally than what Butch Jones & Dooley did..Les can flat out recruit & his name would sell itself on a national level..
I hadn't thought about Les there...but you are on target. They need a name who can recruit and handle the pressure. He's the best out there -- don't see any General Neylands walking around looking for a job.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've been seeing some Mike Leach to Tenersee rumors. That an actual possibly?
If the players don't like getting called names by Jones, how do you think that they will respond to being locked in dark rooms by Leach? :biggrin:

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
If the players don't like getting called names by Jones, how do you think that they will respond to being locked in dark rooms by Leach? :biggrin:
well botch did already run most of those guys off already, and the kid that didn’t like the dark room was a bratty james...so leach is probably fine...but still want to see him at vandy, not ut

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
If they hire Mike Leach, they'll put some points up. However they will not play defense. Remember when we played Texas Tech in a bowl game? I wonder if he still has those large splits between offensive lineman? Tennessee won't sign an elite RB if Leach is their guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.