Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee
Page 1 of 23 1234567811 ... LastLast

Rumor: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

Hearing from some people that they've actually landed Gruden and have an MOU in hand.

I've outlined before why I hope they actually hire Gruden, but I'll re-hash here:
    ...as someone who grew up in Orlando and a long-time Bucs fan, I've seen what he is as a coach first-hand:
    - he inherited a LOADED team from Dungy, won the SB against his former offense, then trended down for years, ending his time with an overall record of 60-57. If you remove that first year from his record he was a pretty dismal 45-53 at Tampa.
    - he's a legendary X and O guy, but also pretty well known as lacking the ability to develop talent, often showing his frustration when players didn't do precisely what he wanted, despite the fact he was unable to actually teach them how to do the things he wanted.
    - he's known for an overly complex system, one that many NFL players had difficulty keeping up with and fully understanding. His plays calls in particular were so long and so specific that it often caused problems with the QB having time for a pre-snap read of the defense.
    - he's hasn't coached any football in almost 10 years!
    - he's never coached college football, never recruited, never had to hire a defensive staff (he inherited Monte Kiffin's crew and kept them in Tampa)...

I mean, other than being known for MNF, there's nothing to be excited about regarding Gruden. If he wasn't handed a loaded Bucs squad on a silver platter, he wouldn't have that SB ring. The tennessee fans hilariously think everyone is quaking at the thought of Gruden going to ut, but I would LOVE to see it happen...
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Sounds like Gruden might be replacing Botch at tennessee

Please let this be true! To go from Sgt. Carter to Chucky is just too funny.

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar

Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

If he is actually considering going to 11RC, he is not as smart as I thought he was.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

I just cant see him wanting the time one has to invest to be an SEC coach. Especially in recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Relayer's Avatar

Hopefully, they pay 12M a year, with a 15M buyout.

BamaNation All-SEC BradtheImpaler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Hearing from some people that they've actually landed Gruden and have an MOU in hand.

I've outlined before why I hope they actually hire Gruden, but I'll re-hash here:
    ...as someone who grew up in Orlando and a long-time Bucs fan, I've seen what he is as a coach first-hand:
    - he inherited a LOADED team from Dungy, won the SB against his former offense, then trended down for years, ending his time with an overall record of 60-57. If you remove that first year from his record he was a pretty dismal 45-53 at Tampa.
    - he's a legendary X and O guy, but also pretty well known as lacking the ability to develop talent, often showing his frustration when players didn't do precisely what he wanted, despite the fact he was unable to actually teach them how to do the things he wanted.
    - he's known for an overly complex system, one that many NFL players had difficulty keeping up with and fully understanding. His plays calls in particular were so long and so specific that it often caused problems with the QB having time for a pre-snap read of the defense.
    - he's never coached college football, never recruited, never had to hire a defensive staff (he inherited Monte Kiffin's crew and kept them in Tampa)...

I mean, other than being known for MNF, there's nothing to be excited about regarding Gruden. If he wasn't handed a loaded Bucs squad on a silver platter, he wouldn't have that SB ring. The tennessee fans hilariously think everyone is quaking at the thought of Gruden going to ut, but I would LOVE to see it happen...
    I grew up in Tampa as a Bucs fan, and everything you've said is exactly correct.
    I'll also add that once he managed to get Rich McKay pushed out and Bruce Allen brought in to rubber-stamp his personnel decisions, the team went to hell-in-a-handbasket. This is going to get melty good in a hurry.
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

FB | BB Moderator

I, too, think Gruden would be a failure as a college coach. There is a reason he's stayed in the booth with ESPN for a decade: he's not wanted by NFL executives. His reputation around the league has soured to a degree that even the most retread hiring heavy professional league will not touch him. For all the reasons crimsonaudio listed above I would love to see him in Knoxville.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CoastGhost's Avatar

Sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I have to think the stupid-money they are offering made him shrug his shoulders and say, "Whet the heck, I can do that for three years, take a golden parachute buyout and go back to being a CommonTater, a rich commonTater!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar

He'll have a recruiting pop, which is something. Agree with the rest.

BamaNation First Team TNElephantitis's Avatar

Tennessee play calls gonna be like: "Ade due Dembolla! Give the power I beg of you!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Get used to seeing Spider 3 Y Banana

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

I think you meant to say he's never been a head coach in college ball. He's coached at the college level at several schools, including his first job - at UT. All else, I agree with...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis