The Fragile Generation

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
One of the things I have noticed in my line of work is no one picks up a phone to ask a question on a jobsite. Everyone just emails back and forth and it ends up being 12-15 emails of back and forth when a simple phone call would have answered the question.

*I get copied on everyone of these emails and sometimes the question has nothing to do with me.
I have the same problem. It's called CYA. Now you can't say you didn't know whatever mundane problem they were discussing.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

I think some of this is due to the litigiousness of our society. Certainly not all of it.

Nail meet head. The lawsuits over little Timmy and Suzie scraping a knee or breaking their arm have been out of control for a long time.

If anyone thinks that all this is the fault of the children then they are part of the problem. It is OUR generation that is causing this problem. Kids are adaptive to the environment created for them. We know who is in charge of their environment, don't we? It's time to be more assertively dismissive of the crazies and stop giving them a seat at the table.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
when i was a kid, we were told sitting around playing atari all day was going to make us fragile and unable to deal with the real world. from what my dad told me, he was told the same thing about wearing blue jeans when he was a kid.
The fragile complainers in my grandaddy's generation were those uppity womenz who couldn't handle a sprightly, good-natured slap on the toosh at work. Meanwhile, today's old folks aren't tough enough to handle transgendered folks using restrooms, while all those fragile Millennials are somehow just fine. It's almost like the world changes, or somesuch.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The fragile complainers in my grandaddy's generation were those uppity womenz who couldn't handle a sprightly, good-natured slap on the toosh at work. Meanwhile, today's old folks aren't tough enough to handle transgendered folks using restrooms, while all those fragile Millennials are somehow just fine. It's almost like the world changes, or somesuch.
Did they have transgendered back in the day or did they just keep it in the closet? ;)

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Did they have transgendered back in the day or did they just keep it in the closet? ;)

Not commonly in the States back then and very "hush-hush" when uncle John became aunt Joanne. I heard a story about a small community in North Alabama where this was the case in the 40's and was extremely scandalous. Relayed by a Great Uncle of mine.

India had the Hijra dating back 4000+ years ago, so it isn't a new phenomenon.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
One of the things I have noticed in my line of work is no one picks up a phone to ask a question on a jobsite. Everyone just emails back and forth and it ends up being 12-15 emails of back and forth when a simple phone call would have answered the question. I get copied on everyone of these emails and sometimes the question has nothing to do with me.
I have the same problem. It's called CYA. Now you can't say you didn't know whatever mundane problem they were discussing.
Damn right, it is CYA.

The last thing I want is to be raked over the coals for someone else's failures when there is no record of what was said.

Plus, in a year's time, when we have all forgotten about the issue we just spent a month resolving, and it happens again and we have to resolve it all again, guess where I'm going? My email history, so I can see how to avoid wasting time, and I can remind them how we recommended something they chose not to follow which caused this problem, and they can pay for it instead of us.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This crossed my mind as well but I think DzynKingRTR is stating that it gets overdone at times. I don't think he is saying don't use the email but when appropriate pick up a phone instead.

I can't imagine working without the email. We have 24/7 operations worldwide and I need the record a lot of times; not just for CYA but also to help my memory.

The fragile generation cries "wolf" so many times that true issues will get ignored.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This crossed my mind as well but I think DzynKingRTR is stating that it gets overdone at times. I don't think he is saying don't use the email but when appropriate pick up a phone instead.

I can't imagine working without the email. We have 24/7 operations worldwide and I need the record a lot of times; not just for CYA but also to help my memory.

The fragile generation cries "wolf" so many times that true issues will get ignored.
Yeah I agree. I get cc'd in waaay too many emails for visibility reasons when I only have a tangential relationship with the issue being discussed. The other issue is that my work email has a pretty small MB cap and its gets cluttered up very quickly with emails that frankly don't concern me. And Dz is right, usually a phone call resolves the issue much faster. In fact, I prefer face to face or phone conversations because I can get straight to the point and the individual concerned can't put me on the backburner or stall with excuses. Email OTOH drags out for days and weeks sometimes. I prefer to reserve email for sending actual products, not discussing problems. Sometimes though it can't be helped.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Not commonly in the States back then and very "hush-hush" when uncle John became aunt Joanne. I heard a story about a small community in North Alabama where this was the case in the 40's and was extremely scandalous. Relayed by a Great Uncle of mine.

Did aunt Joanne whine about having to use the men's restroom?

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

It was probably less common before modern tech rendered our food poison with all the artificial hormones, pesticides, herbicides and chemicals. Same as with all the cancer

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
it's amusing that the non-stop whining about "kids these days" is not also considered fragile

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I thought Spok's book on children was the go to guide in logical upbringing of kids, although I always wanted to get Bones take on the matter.

Live long and prosper.:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.