Link: A view of how the LSU game could help Bama get ready for the rest of the season

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
LSU never "moved the ball at will". They never crossed the 50 yard line except for their FG and also to the Bama 39 in the first half. In the second half they never crossed the 50 except for the long run leading to the TD. In the 2nd half LSU had 7 drives, 1 TD, 1 "drive" of 17 yards, 5 possessions of 9 yards of less. Total domination.
If their QB was any good, it would have been a different story for them. Imagine Nick Fitzgerald, Jarrett Stidham, and Jake Fromm.. they would all make those passes that Etling missed. And Fitz is dual threat. I am worried about these away games. In our only true road game v Texas AM, we did not play well. I hope that trends changes Saturday.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
O.K. since we are getting the time frames straightened out for the game, will one of you direct me to about the time Mack Wilson was injured? I never saw it and I fast forwarded the game the other night for the first half after I read about it and I still didn't see it.
I rewatched the game also and could not figure out when he got carted off. They did not show it. I know the announcer said Mac Wilson would come in for our injured player, but it was Johnathan Wright? who came in, so I guess Mac was already injured at that point. Interesting how the announcers missed Mac's injury also, especially if he was carted off.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I rewatched the game also and could not figure out when he got carted off. They did not show it. I know the announcer said Mac Wilson would come in for our injured player, but it was Johnathan Wright? who came in, so I guess Mac was already injured at that point. Interesting how the announcers missed Mac's injury also, especially if he was carted off.
Yeah, and Allie LaForce is usually on top of those things on the sideline. I am glad I am not the only one who missed it. I always take pride in my football watching ability. :)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
If their QB was any good, it would have been a different story for them. Imagine Nick Fitzgerald, Jarrett Stidham, and Jake Fromm.. they would all make those passes that Etling missed. And Fitz is dual threat. I am worried about these away games. In our only true road game v Texas AM, we did not play well. I hope that trends changes Saturday.
First you are changing the conversation. I was just addressing your statement that LSU was moving the ball at will - that was never true.

But I also disagree regarding Etling. He made 4 or 5 terrific throws that the QBs you mentioned may not make in a game. He only missed maybe 2 or 3 long throws, throws btw that college QBs miss all of the time and NFL QBs do occasionally. He is not Brady or Manziel, but he is a better passer than Fitzgerald and not that far behind Stidham and Fromm. In fact, before this weekend, he had a similar rating to Stidham. And Stidham has real problems when he is pressured; Fromm just throws 16 passes a game.

Bama can certainly lose their remaining SEC games, but Bama has always been a great road team. Not good but great. 6 of last 7 in Starkville and 3 of 4 in Auburn. They not only have a winning record against every other SEC team, but a winning road record.

Last edited:

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
O.K. since we are getting the time frames straightened out for the game, will one of you direct me to about the time Mack Wilson was injured? I never saw it and I fast forwarded the game the other night for the first half after I read about it and I still didn't see it.
He left in the 1st half. I think in the 2nd quarter. I never saw him go down and it wasn't mentioned by Eli on the broadcast. It must have happened near the sideline and got off without stopping the game. I saw him on the cart leaving the stadium and I am pretty sure about that time Eli did mention he was going to the locker room. I never heard another report about it during the game. The first I heard was when Coach Saban mentioned him being out in his press conference after the game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My only concern going forward is the injuries, and how are we going to manage that? We are running out of options.

The offense simply must step up. The constant 3 and outs have to stop. Our offense is way too talented for that. I think the OL has to get that mean streak back, that we saw earlier in the year. A lot of this may have to fall on the shoulders of Hurts, and we may have to be one of those offenses that depends on the QB too much, but so be it. He is capable.

I don't think MSU has the defense that LSU did. I think Auburn's is close, but not quite. Of course, the game is there, so that probably makes up the difference. These are losable games to be certain, but IMO, we will still have to "lose" them. Beyond that, its anyone's guess. Hopefully we can get a Miller and Lewis back by then.

I certainly do not sell this team and coaching staff short, and I do not think a rethinking of goals is in order at all. This team is still good enough; we've just got to take a little different path now than before, due to the injuries. So winding back around to the thread topic; a tough game against a good opponent certainly helps. But the injuries did not at all.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Nope, but their secondaries are not nearly as good as LSU's. LSU has NFL players in their defensive backfield.

Guys - without the single busted play that allowed their 2nd string RB to run 54 yards for a TD, the final score would have been 24-3. LSU only drove the field 1 time in the entire game in spite of your exhausted defense. 1 time. Your defense was AWESOME in that game. AWESOME!

I see no version of the LSU game in which Alabama might have lost. I only see versions in which Alabama beats them by 21 or more points. You beat them that soundly, in spite of the stats. I just don't get the nervousness.
The game was NEVER in question. You could tell by the "flow" of the game who was going to win. And to add to your point, if Bama would have had half the OL breakdowns than they did the game would have been a lot worse than 24-3. That is why I was a bit taken back (post game) at all the "LSU might be the best team we play all season" comments. Outside of a few players across their starting 22. LSU isn't the LSU of the recent past. They may get back to that, who knows? But right now? Not even close.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Etling throws for more yards per game than Fitzgerald OR Fromm. He has more yards per completion than any of those guys BUT Fromm, and the difference is less than half a yard. None of these guys you name is a "Bad QB" - but none of them is Deshaun Watson or Baker Mayfield, either. Just sayin'..... :)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Etling throws for more yards per game than Fitzgerald OR Fromm. He has more yards per completion than any of those guys BUT Fromm, and the difference is less than half a yard. None of these guys you name is a "Bad QB" - but none of them is Deshaun Watson or Baker Mayfield, either. Just sayin'..... :)
Agreed, there are 2-3 realgreat QB's and none have played us. The play off could be real fun if we face a REAL dual threat or real good QB. We have faced some good ones, but not game changing QB's.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
As long as we come out of the game without injuries, I always think the LSU game toughens us up and prepares us for the rest of the year. I remember in 2013 when AJ and Saban actually jumped into each other's arms, it seemed nothing could prevent us from winning three titles in a row. Unfortunately, AU's luck against UGA and our lack of ability to finish them off when we had a few chances left a very sour taste, indeed. Losing to Bob and his boys after that made that whole season seem like a big failure. We were 11-2, and the season felt like a failure. I really had to start focusing on the positive more after that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.