Talk through the issues at LB...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If he was showing enough, he'd at least be getting reps on special teams, especially as a second year player, but he's not. Instead, we're talking about at least one true freshmen passing him on depth chart, and moving an OLB to ILB for depth instead of Davis stepping into the 2nd team reps.

Something more than just having to learn a more complicated playbook and adjusting to the college game is going on. I don't know what it is, and am really hoping the staff and he figure it out
I think we all expected more out of Ben Davis when he signed. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with him and that he can start to figure things out. He certainly seems to have the physical skills. His dad sure was a heckuva player.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think we all expected more out of Ben Davis when he signed. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with him and that he can start to figure things out. He certainly seems to have the physical skills. His dad sure was a heckuva player.
If I remember correctly it took 2+ years for Reuben Foster and Rashaan Evans to get any significant playing time. The lights can still come on...but only he can flip the switch.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If I remember correctly it took 2+ years for Reuben Foster and Rashaan Evans to get any significant playing time. The lights can still come on...but only he can flip the switch.
I keep hoping he has that aha moment. At least Foster and Evans were making special teams plays or getting time in blowouts that showed their potential. (This is another reason I like us to have at least two cupcake games for those of you who think we should play the Patriots every week.)

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I do hope our guys can step up at linebacker tonight and v Auburn. It concerns me though. I still can't figure out why and how we have so many injuries this year, especially at the same position.

Is it bad luck, just not our year, or are the players being conditioned too hard? My physical therapist said injuries sometimes start the process of happening before the actual injury on the field. He seems to think Cochran over-works them. I would think Cochran knows the limits of each player as far as work-outs go. Most seasons our injury situation is comparable to other teams, but the past 2 years seem to be more injuries.

I know that's part of football, but it is still frustrating and sad for the players, their families, fans, etc. This is where our next 4 or 5 star needs to step it up. Even though they don't have much experience, they can still make a difference.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
What Jess said unveils the ugly truth:

"Keith Holcombe started the game alongside Evans, got pulled for true freshman Dylan Moses after an ugly start, but quickly replaced Moses again after Moses froze up under live fire. At one point, Moses looked like Carol Anne staring at the television in “Poltergeist.”

I just get the feeling that our only shot at going all the way to another championship is outscoring our opponents by methodical, clock controlling offense. We have to win the clock back and score TDs.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
What Jess said unveils the ugly truth:

"Keith Holcombe started the game alongside Evans, got pulled for true freshman Dylan Moses after an ugly start, but quickly replaced Moses again after Moses froze up under live fire. At one point, Moses looked like Carol Anne staring at the television in “Poltergeist.”

I just get the feeling that our only shot at going all the way to another championship is outscoring our opponents by methodical, clock controlling offense. We have to win the clock back and score TDs.
Dont give up on Keith.... it's not just on him.. secondary didn't do well too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Re: LB situation

I keep hearing that the earliest we'll see either Miller or Lewis is the SECCG.

I've not heard any rumblings that either may be back this week...

All of that said, what's that expression about hope being the last to die...
Would we play Lewis for just a game or two though? He played last year as a true freshman and since he was hurt in game one, I would think we could get him a medical reshirt. As long as he does not play again this season.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Dont give up on Keith.... it's not just on him.. secondary didn't do well too.

Man, I would never give up on any of our guys. But we gotta stop the run and the Jimmies and the Joes that we normally do it with are simply not there. We have what...17 stars on crutches? The coaches will do all they can to adjust but I think we need to win time of possession and do away with all the three and outs if at all possible on offense. The new reality is that we are vulnerable like we haven't been since coach's first year. The good news is that we have an awesome QB and he may just be the MVP to another championship season.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Would we play Lewis for just a game or two though? He played last year as a true freshman and since he was hurt in game one, I would think we could get him a medical reshirt. As long as he does not play again this season.
I think if you play less than 4 games with injury you are eligible, but not guaranteed, a redshirt.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Man, I would never give up on any of our guys. But we gotta stop the run and the Jimmies and the Joes that we normally do it with are simply not there. We have what...17 stars on crutches? The coaches will do all they can to adjust but I think we need to win time of possession and do away with all the three and outs if at all possible on offense. The new reality is that we are vulnerable like we haven't been since coach's first year. The good news is that we have an awesome QB and he may just be the MVP to another championship season.
You gotta realize while we lost 4 or 5 players... two are likely coming back before the season and one more could be back for playoff.

I personally feel like coaches will make adjustments as they see fits. Its hard to do that during the game. MSU came in with great game plan and it threw us off somewhat. Those stupid calls hurt us as well. All of those played a factor. We played lot bettet in 4th quarter. Sometime It's easy to blame our coaches, players about stuff but we don't know what goes on behind the door... they see things differently than we do.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Guys, we shouldn't assume those guys will take redshirt. They want to play this year and theyre doing everything in their power to make that happens.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

If all you have is limited starts in your first 2 seasons of action. I think it is mighty presumptuous of Lewis and or McMillan to be thinking about going pro at this point after next year. We need them now and if they can stay on the field the next 2 years for us and leave as 4 yr seniors that will be enough for us. If they are healthy they play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015

What if...while in nickel defense we play Evans and Jennings as the two linebackers? Jennings is more "stout" against the run. And play four heavier guys as the four lineman to combat Auburn's running game. Then we have to generate a pass rush somehow...most likely with blitzes. If Miller or Lewis can play some vs. Auburn, that would help on that front.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

What if...while in nickel defense we play Evans and Jennings as the two linebackers? Jennings is more "stout" against the run. And play four heavier guys as the four lineman to combat Auburn's running game. Then we have to generate a pass rush somehow...most likely with blitzes. If Miller or Lewis can play some vs. Auburn, that would help on that front.
Absolutely no. Jennings won't do well against Pass coverage. Just no. just no. Just stick with Holcomb/ Evans. That's the best options right now. Just because Holcomb had a bad night doesn't mean everyone gotta give up on him. If we can get lewis/miller back.. I can see mosley moving back to ILB and that should help them a lot. Mosley is decent against pass coverage and Run game.. but for now.. Your suggestion is bad idea.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.