2017 Week 11 Game Week Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc.)

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hardly. Pruitt is much better against spread teams than Kirby ever was - his record against AU is far superior to Kirby's. He is much more creative with blitzing. As much as I like blitzing in certain situations, I dreaded Kirby's blitzes because they rarely got there. We began to call third downs, even 10+ yards, third and Kirby. CJP has supposedly and wisely simplified things - one of the legit criticisms of Saban's approach; less time in college is a big issue. Maybe part of CKS's "trouble" was the transition of the defensive philosophy, but Pruitt was already ahead of the curve when he returned. Yes, it's Saban's defense but every DC puts his stamp on it - and Saban is open to suggestions and change. We see it plainly on the offense (McElwain vs Nuss vs Kiffin vs Daboll), it's also true with the D. It matters who the coordinator is and IMO, and many others Pruitt is an upgrade.
Such short memories and such sad attitude. Think... 2011. That's all... 2011. Put it in your pipe and smoke it. 2011.

If you guys really want to debate this, give it a thread. I'll be there. I'd be glad to hear the bamanation response. I think they will set the record straight. In the meantime, I'm not gonna sit here and waste my time on short memoried homers but while I have no complaints about Pruitt, this uncontextual, ahistorical rubbish is just not right. Just ridiculous. It's true, we blitz differently this year... Because the situation and personnel are different. The game is different. Our pass rush is different. I enjoyed our defensive performance this year so no criticism of that unit intended, but just rubbish on rubbish that Pruitt is better than Smart. Must have all been bitten by zombies. Can't believe I'm reading reasonable posters spreading rubbish. As DC goes, Kirby's in the Hall of Fame. And, yes they all learn from many sources, but they also imitate Saban. As far as college defense goes, there is saban and there is everyone else, and it's not even close. So don't go acting like Pruitt invented the stopper to tin horns.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You act like there has been one defense... but we all know the defense changed to adapt to up pace and spread offense. Our blitz packages changed year by year under Smart/Saban for a long time. We did all kinds of different stuff in 2011 than we did in 2013 than we did in2015.
Look, I like Smart a lot and have enjoyed watching him grow the program in GA, so I am not saying that Smart stinks as a DC. And I am not just looking at Pruitt's work at Alabama over the last 2 years. I am also looking at the work that he did at FSU and at GA before he came back to Alabama.

Pruitt blitzes far more frequently than Smart did at Alabama, and than he currently does at GA. Smart believes in getting pressure on the QB with 4 or 5 people - 4 if possible. Pruitt believes in sending an extra person (or more) from virtually anywhere on any play, regardless of down or distance. Pruitt wants the offensive coordinator worried about where the extra pressure might be coming from on every play. It makes preparation more difficult, and it puts a lot more pressure on the offense. Venables does the same thing at Clemson.

If I were to sum up the major differences between guys like Pruitt/Venables and Smart, I would simply say that they attack the offense on every play. Smart's defenses are a lot more passive. Both philosophies work, but many (including me) prefer to see the defense on attack.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
many (including me) prefer to see the defense on attack.
One of the most frustration situations is to watch as the offense has time, and feel like that quarterback is going to find someone the more time passes by. If the team can bring pressure, that forces his hand, even if it does mean someone somewhere is probably open.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When you have a lot of new guys on the field, the surest thing to do is not to blitz. We really need some of the guys on the defensive front take up the challenge and make that a sustainable plan. It was really the only way forward longterm anyway, we were going to play somebody you can't blitz to win the whole thing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Look, I like Smart a lot and have enjoyed watching him grow the program in GA, so I am not saying that Smart stinks as a DC. And I am not just looking at Pruitt's work at Alabama over the last 2 years. I am also looking at the work that he did at FSU and at GA before he came back to Alabama.

Pruitt blitzes far more frequently than Smart did at Alabama, and than he currently does at GA. Smart believes in getting pressure on the QB with 4 or 5 people - 4 if possible. Pruitt believes in sending an extra person (or more) from virtually anywhere on any play, regardless of down or distance. Pruitt wants the offensive coordinator worried about where the extra pressure might be coming from on every play. It makes preparation more difficult, and it puts a lot more pressure on the offense. Venables does the same thing at Clemson.

If I were to sum up the major differences between guys like Pruitt/Venables and Smart, I would simply say that they attack the offense on every play. Smart's defenses are a lot more passive. Both philosophies work, but many (including me) prefer to see the defense on attack.
That's a pretty good summary, and Saban has gone along with both. Last year, we had the luxury of being able to get to the QB - not just pressure him - with four. Those guys are gone and the guys we had who perhaps could have taken their places are gone also for the time being. If Smart were still here, he would be blitzing more from necessity. All that said and knowing we will have to rely more on the blitz, I do like the design of CJP's blitzes. I guess that makes me a convert, since I was underwhelmed with his hire. In fact, by the time he left, I hated to see him go, although I understood the reasons. CKS was solidly blocking his upward path and, if I heard accurately, the relationship between them was less than ideal...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Philosophically you could kinda see that Pruitt and Smart aren't even very similar. Maybe that spilled over into the interpersonal/professional?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Philosophically you could kinda see that Pruitt and Smart aren't even very similar. Maybe that spilled over into the interpersonal/professional?
Maybe. We've all had to work with people with whom we didn't exactly see eye to eye. When I first heard Smart to UGA, I knew that Saban had said that Pruitt would be his first call if Smart left. I knew that Smart would never retain Pruitt, so Pruitt back to Bama was the first thing which occurred to me and that's the way it worked...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
BTW, I consider them both to be excellent DCs, just a bit different in philosophy and I happen to enjoy Pruitt's just a bit more...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have confidence that Coach Pruitt, even short on bodies, will have the defense ready for MSU, that is a positive from an Eyeore. I however do not have the same confidence in the offense. It is imperative that the offense give the defense some help this week.
Why is that? Genuinely curious as to why you feel that way, not picking a fight.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Good to hear Jonah and Minkah seem to be going full speed.

What do you gurus make of this?

"Freshman Daniel Wright was the Money with the second-team dime defense. "

And this?

"Safety Keaton Anderson, who has played linebacker in the past, was shadowing Holcombe"
With Anderson, I think it's necessity at this point. We really don't have anyone else at LB so a Safety is next option. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see hootie or harrison getting some looks here just in case (assuming Thompson, wright or mckinney can step up some), Not a knock on him as he's done a great job on special teams and I'm optimistic that the move to S could help him get onto the field other than special teams down the road.

With Wright - could be combo of things. He was playing against LSU before the game was 'comfortable' (if it ever was). I think with Minkah limited, Knott out and whatever the heck is going on with Thompson, I'm sure the staff is looking for the next guy in line to be ready to step up just in case. It's not like minkah needs a ton of reps in practice now to know what to do, so we can take it a bit easier on him WRT reps and get some of the other guys more work just in case he's limited.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
In the limited viewing (and my questionable memory) Daniel Wright has looked pretty good. So long as he has veterans around him to get him in the right play and passes off/picks up his man on swaps, he will do fine. Good athlete and I think gets his head turned to the ball very well. I know I have made that comment about him at some point in the season.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
In the limited viewing (and my questionable memory) Daniel Wright has looked pretty good. So long as he has veterans around him to get him in the right play and passes off/picks up his man on swaps, he will do fine. Good athlete and I think gets his head turned to the ball very well. I know I have made that comment about him at some point in the season.
Plus he has a little Ronnie in him. He was mixing it up a little against LSU after a punt.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With Anderson, I think it's necessity at this point. We really don't have anyone else at LB so a Safety is next option. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see hootie or harrison getting some looks here just in case (assuming Thompson, wright or mckinney can step up some), Not a knock on him as he's done a great job on special teams and I'm optimistic that the move to S could help him get onto the field other than special teams down the road.

With Wright - could be combo of things. He was playing against LSU before the game was 'comfortable' (if it ever was). I think with Minkah limited, Knott out and whatever the heck is going on with Thompson, I'm sure the staff is looking for the next guy in line to be ready to step up just in case. It's not like minkah needs a ton of reps in practice now to know what to do, so we can take it a bit easier on him WRT reps and get some of the other guys more work just in case he's limited.
Remember, Anderson was recruited as a LB, and he practiced there for his first two years (IIRC) on campus. The staff didn't move him to safety until this spring. His knowledge of both positions might turn out to be more valuable than we could expect if he has to play.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's also one of those guys that the staff likes which means he's probably a quick study and does all the small things. Seems like the exact kind of young man you'd want for a "break glass in case of emergency" depth situation. He might miss a few plays because he's not athletically equivelent but should be in position and may even help other guys too.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOL yourself. smart was our DC forever, and you are ready to award Pruitt the crown over such a short term, when he learned from Smart.
Yah, felt that when Smart was still here. Pruitt runs a defense the way I prefer it - affecting the offense. Both are effective, but even with our youth, the defenses under Pruitt are consistently more effective. Remember, this isn't Pruitt's first DC gig.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just watched the LSU game again and I am more than a little impressed with the play of the guys who stepped in for your injured players in this game. I know that they are physically talented, but they switched off well on the sweeps and kept the ball in front of them on every play. If I did not know better, I would have sworn that they were starters out there.

And I want to say again how much I love this board. You guys are not just casual football fans. You know your players and coaches, and you understand the intricacies of the game. Instead of rants, you have real conversations about what is, why it is, and what can be done to make it better. Great membership here.

:cheers2:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
LOL yourself. smart was our DC forever, and you are ready to award Pruitt the crown over such a short term, when he learned from Smart. Not a chance in hell. The game has changed and Pruitt has done a fine job so far, but in case you didn't notice, UGA doesn't stink and guess who's running that program. Some very sour grapes indeed.
He may have learned a few things from Smart, but Pruitt is from my area. I've known his family and friends all my life. I know for a fact that he impressed Saban years ago on his first interview. He was diagraming plays on the board and held Saban's attention for an hour at his knowledge of defense. Don't make him out to be a wet behind the ears kid. Don't forget his success at Florida St and Georgia too. I appreciate everything Smart did for us, but I am appreciate everything that Pruitt is doing for us now and it is a lot.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
He's also one of those guys that the staff likes which means he's probably a quick study and does all the small things. Seems like the exact kind of young man you'd want for a "break glass in case of emergency" depth situation. He might miss a few plays because he's not athletically equivelent but should be in position and may even help other guys too.
I've thought that Anderson is a Cory Reamer type player. Really smart and studies the game so what he may not have athletically is made up for by being in the right spot by processing a play faster than everyone else. I saw him play a good bit at Florence High and he was almost always in the right place.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.