Your Unbelievable Stat of the Week - Saban is Last Coach to Beat Bama by 17+

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
That's one thing I was thankful for while watching OSU stink up the field this weekend - that doesn't happen to us. We may not win every game (well, we almost do) but we never get blown out.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Its really Mind Boggling to think about, Esp. when you consider that we weren't particularly good in 2004, '06 or 07.

It pretty much happens to nearly everyone. We just saw Urban Myth routed (by Iowa no less) this past weekend. I can't tell you the last time I saw an Iowa team score over 50 - I would have bet money they couldn't have broken 50 against AIR!!!! LOL!!!

Clempson has lost by over 20 as recently as 2014 - happened to them TWICE that season.

FRU lost to us by 17 just a few months ago. OU lost a game by 21 just last year. UGa lost to us by 28 just a couple years ago.

I think that's most of the recent National Champ's and current Top 5 ranked teams?

Kind of amazing when you think about it.....

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was there that day as well. 27-3, and that was merciful.

LSU could have scored 70 if they'd wanted to. Everybody in the stadium knew they'd throw to Josh Reed, and we couldn't stop it. Double team didn't matter. Triple team didn't matter. If we'd tried it, quadruple team wouldn't have mattered because it would only have made our own guys trip each other up.

I've never felt so hopelessly outclassed.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I think that was the game where Josh Reed caught 17 or 18 passes against us..

No, that was 2001. 2003 was when Saban came to Tuscaloosa with the obvious intention of beating Bama by the identical 31-0 score he had suffered by them in 2002. With the score 24-0, he got royally po'd when LSU bogged down and had to kick a FG making the score 27-0 instead of 31-0. Thought he was going to die of a stroke right there on the sideline when Bama kicked the late FG to deny him his shutout.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I was there that day as well. 27-3, and that was merciful.

LSU could have scored 70 if they'd wanted to. Everybody in the stadium knew they'd throw to Josh Reed, and we couldn't stop it. Double team didn't matter. Triple team didn't matter. If we'd tried it, quadruple team wouldn't have mattered because it would only have made our own guys trip each other up.

I've never felt so hopelessly outclassed.
You have your years mixed up. The score was 27-3 in 2003, but Josh Reed played for the Buffalo Bills from 2002-2009.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
No, that was 2001. 2003 was when Saban came to Tuscaloosa with the obvious intention of beating Bama by the identical 31-0 score he had suffered by them in 2002. With the score 24-0, he got royally po'd when LSU bogged down and had to kick a FG making the score 27-0 instead of 31-0. Thought he was going to die of a stroke right there on the sideline when Bama kicked the late FG to deny him his shutout.
Thanks!

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
During Saban's tenure at Alabama, Bama has lost only 4 games by a margin greater than 10 points. The largest margin of defeat is 14 - accomplished by Utah, S Carolina, and Oklahoma. Two of those were in the Sugar Bowl with no championship implications.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Not to hijack the thread, but there was another unbelievable state I heard today on the radio. If Tennessee loses to Missouri this weekend then they will have a current active losing streak to every team in the SEC. So Butch Jones might have that going for him. That blew my mind.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.