Jet Sweep from LSU

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I expect to see a lot of sweep motion from MSU and Auburn both in the coming weeks. We defended it well against LSU, but both will use it hoping to isolate receivers into man to man coverage.
This has me worried somewhat. MSU has a QB that can gain some good yardage if the LB's make the wrong read. Hopefully our defensive coaches can gameplan well for that. I also feel our D'line can make a difference against their offensive front. LSUs QB was no real threat to run.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This has me worried somewhat. MSU has a QB that can gain some good yardage if the LB's make the wrong read. Hopefully our defensive coaches can gameplan well for that. I also feel our D'line can make a difference against their offensive front. LSUs QB was no real threat to run.
A spy perhaps? He`s so very much a part of their run game perhaps the risk would be worth it (?).

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I am still amazed how much running LSU did pre snap in all that shifting. The linemen had more yards running than the backs LOL. Not sure if that had much effect on our D but it made me dizzy watching the game LOL

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I watched the game again last night and particularly paid attention to that play. Holcombe was sucked inside and couldn't recover fast enough to cover the cutback. I didn't notice where the safety was aligned or how he played it.

I think that play was an example of a starter being out and the reserve player not reacting fast enough/not having enough reps during the prep week to recognize the play.
Perhaps someone will correct me, but as I saw the reruns, Holcome was pretty significantly HELD on the play, which contributed to his inability to recover fast enough. Maybe he misses the runner anyway, but the endzone view of the play clearly shows his jersey being pulled.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Perhaps someone will correct me, but as I saw the reruns, Holcome was pretty significantly HELD on the play, which contributed to his inability to recover fast enough. Maybe he misses the runner anyway, but the endzone view of the play clearly shows his jersey being pulled.
You can see 42 being held from this angle.

pjhBama

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 3, 2017
I know we all got tired of seeing the JS the past couple seasons; but I'm surprised we haven't run it a time or two each game this season. If for no other reason to make defenses prepare for it, and to get the ball into the hands of our talented receivers when we are struggling to pass the ball.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I know we all got tired of seeing the JS the past couple seasons; but I'm surprised we haven't run it a time or two each game this season. If for no other reason to make defenses prepare for it, and to get the ball into the hands of our talented receivers when we are struggling to pass the ball.
I hope we are saving a few jet sweeps or other plays for Auburn. Not too many like last year, but just something surprising. We may even see that this Saturday.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I thought we did an excellent job on the jet sweeps. The one long run from the wildcat skewed their rushing numbers and made things look a lot better for them than they really were. I thought that they did a much better job running inside than they did on the sweeps (though the sweeps may have set them up to have more success up the middle).

rtr
Their run up the middle was an aberration. Some of our young guys, playing due to injuries, were out of position. Take away the long run, and their rushing attack was not a strength.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.