Week 2 of the CFP Rankings

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Georgia finishes 12-1 with a close loss to #2 Alabama and a win over #3 Notre Dame and a win over #10 Auburn -- I can't see them getting left out.
If Auburn loses to GA and Alabama they will have 4 losses and be out of the top 20.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
If Auburn loses to GA and Alabama they will have 4 losses and be out of the top 20.
That loss to LSU really hurt them. If not for that, then losing to Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson is not a terrible resume. They would be the best 3 loss team this year.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I come at this from a different point of view than some. I don't care who is "worthy". I care who Alabama matches up with the best and what makes the easiest road to the title for them. The whole CFP can burn to the ground if it is best for the Tide. I love the idea of an undefeated Wisconsin getting in the playoffs. They are tailor made for Bama to destroy. I didn't want Clemson in last year. I was actively pulling against them, and yelling at the TV while doing it. I knew Watson was the guy that could beat Bama. I wanted him sitting at home watching not playing us. I was so happy when Notre Dame got in in 2012. I knew they were dead on arrival, and I loved it.
You've got to beat the best to be the best. I always like the idea of Bama taking on all comers and sending them home defeated.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You've got to beat the best to be the best. I always like the idea of Bama taking on all comers and sending them home defeated.
I kinda sit in the middle of this. Last year I wanted to play Clemson and Watson because I wanted to beat them. Last years team was on its way to being one of the best teams ever and I wanted it to make that as clear as possible.

This year, I don't think we are on that level so I will gladly root for and take an easier road to a title.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You have to win the last game of the CFP to be the best. That is the goal - not beating a bunch of other great teams along the way.

I am all for taking the easiest road possible to achieve that goal.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Well if the CFP is correct, you will have to beat at least 2 of the best to win NC. I prefer to play some top teams along the way. Then when you face a top 4 team you are ready for top 4 type play. I could see someone like Wisconsin easing into play off undefeated then getting blown out big first playoff game, as they have not played at that level all year. I truly think the level of competition is very key. I love we open with better teams lately than in the past. Team has to focus and know they have to be ready to play 100%. To many times teams get lazy when they play cupcakes, and that can lull you into a loss fast. Normally SEC prepares us well for top teams, not so much lately. BUT that LSU game and now MSU ans AU will keep us sharp, no time to let up. Then hopefully UGA in SECCG. I really feel Bama UGA SECCG is NC game like it was back in 2012. They were the best 2 teams that year by a large margin. That was a great game.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
You have to win the last game of the CFP to be the best. That is the goal - not beating a bunch of other great teams along the way.

I am all for taking the easiest road possible to achieve that goal.
Yet, most people are against Whiskey being considered at this point. I know what you are saying, and it certainly won't hurt my feelings if MSU, AU , and UGA play their worst games of the year against us, but I'm not afraid to play any team out there. With that said, I think our schedule is plenty challenging with LSU, MSU, AU, and possibly UGA to finish the year.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Say what you want but we all know FSU is a different team had they not lost QB late in our game with them.Tack onto that who we have and still have to play. That is a pretty list of ranked teams. I am not going to cry if we stay #2 or even hit 3 or 4, as long as we win out and get a shot at NC then it is game on boys. After last year it could get real ugly in playff for our opponents. Right now we would face ND OHHHHH we would kill them. UGA is a really good team , we get and beat them in SECCG that will be the toughest team we will play period. Do not see any others with as good a team in all phases.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
That loss to LSU really hurt them. If not for that, then losing to Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson is not a terrible resume. They would be the best 3 loss team this year.
Best 3-loss team in the nation! Woo-Hoo! Give them a ring for that!

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
I think Notre Dame winning out will cause them to take the place of an ACC team. Wisconsin would be the 4 seed IMO.
I agree if they win out, nd has a pretty good shot at this point - thought they would have dropped 1-2 more already; and wisc - if they beat iowa, mich, and win the conf - but not thinking they can win out though, guessing the committee doesn’t either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
If an undefeated Alabama and Georgia meet in the SECCG and Alabama wins a close game, how do they put ND in over Georgia? Identical records and Georgia won head to head.

well yeah and for two weeks straight they have touted that win as unrivaled by a huge margin

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Say what you want but we all know FSU is a different team had they not lost QB late in our game with them....
don’t care for fsu at all, but would be a little appetizing to see them pull an upset this weekend...only statement game they have left

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
ND has the easiest path left because they do not have to play another quality team in a conference championship team. I think that is a huge advantage. Also they don't have to share any of their playoff money. As long as they can get in as a one loss team, they will always remain an independent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.