Jalen vs. Tua Argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
This gal has the Nick Saban stare down pat LOL That is a stare for all who talk of this back up crap:cool2:

bama70

3rd Team
Oct 19, 2011
NE Alabama
Last year several posters maintained that if Blake Barnett had been the QB we would have won a national championship. Based on his playing time this year in Arizona I wonder if they still feel Blake was the better option. Until I get in Coach Saban’s tax bracket and have the opportunity to observe players everyday in practice I think I will defer the decisions on playing time to the”Goat” Coach Nick Saban.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Tua is being prepped to fill in at Linebacker this week!
That is funny and not so funny, we may need to see how good he tackles soon. WE cannot afford any more injuries on defense. Time to spin 4 times spit, and do whatever other crazy mojo stuff we need to to get rid of this injury bug.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I believe a better discussion would be for Daboll to put more on Jalen, beginning against MSU. He's shown he's improved as a passer. Now let him chunk it around more.

I now we are risk averse in our passing game, but I think with our defensive situation, we may have to take the risk of throwing a few INTs in order to make more explosive plays in our passing game.

I think we could easily score 10-14 more points a game and make our play action run game even more deadly if we throw the ball more. So maybe we thrown an INT and give up 3 or 7? OK, but I think the risk will be worth the reward if we do.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There simply is no argument at this point. Yes Tua has generally looked amazing against weak teams that already had the crap beat out of them. I think he'll be a fine starter one day and probably go on to the NFL. But Hurts is one of the top quarterbacks in college football (if you go by QBR) and his win/loss record isn't too shabby either. He doesn't make the kinds of mistakes that cost teams the game. You simply don't sit him for a may be, or even a probably. If Hurts gets injured I think Tua will be a fine replacement most likely.

I believe a better discussion would be for Daboll to put more on Jalen, beginning against MSU. He's shown he's improved as a passer. Now let him chunk it around more.
One of my fears is that when it comes time to rely on the pass, there might be underdevelopment in that area. If that is the case, that can't all be on Hurts. He hasn't thrown as much as last year, and part of that seems by design. I am hoping though that Alabama has just been intentionally conservative. The problem is the offense might have some trouble changing their stripes, and the offensive line, the receivers, the play caller, they all have to be prepared to do their part. It isn't just the role of one player to make the passing game work.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Yes, I would love it if Jalen were a little better passer, or a little less quick to tuck it and take off running...sometimes. But here is the thought I always come back to; what kind of QB always seems to be the one that gives us fits? Guys like Jordan Jefferson, Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel...more mobile guys. We now have one of those. Granted, a couple of those guys were the types to also make miracle passes at times, which we haven't seen Jalen do much of yet. But their ability to make things happen with their feet has caused us trouble. Now Jalen can be the one making everyone else hate playing that style QB. Again, I know he is not quite an apples to apples comparison, but at least of a similar ilk. Now we just need him to use those legs to buy some time then make a big pass happen now and then.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Whew!! I literally saw the thread title and thought that Jalen and Tua had had an argument. Can we save this discussion to the offseason.... SMH.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Last year Jalen was a primary reason for Bama's success. If Bama wins any titles this year, Jalen will likely have to be the primary reason. Any thought of change is beyond ludicrous. I hesitated adding another post, but someone posted just 12 minutes ago :). Many hope this thread dies quickly.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Last year Jalen was a primary reason for Bama's success. If Bama wins any titles this year, Jalen will likely have to be the primary reason. Any thought of change is beyond ludicrous. I hesitated adding another post, but someone posted just 12 minutes ago :). Many hope this thread dies quickly.
Done. Nothing new or constructive here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.