My Top-10 and P_ayoff _racket

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Just how I see the "Snapshot" of today - with the understanding that MUCH is likely to change between today and December 3! :)

But my current Top-10 is based on an average of what I consider to be the best (or most influential) polls and the best Computers. I include AP (probably best) and ESPiN "FPI" (probably most influential considering ESPiN's role behind the closed doors of the "Double Secret Committee"); Massey's compilation of over 80 published computer polls (I count this as one "vote"), then the 6 computers that formed the computer portion of the former BCS computation. I don't include the sham "P_ayoff Poll" as its utterly meaningless Until they give their final rankings. Also, I have Arbitrarily eliminated UCF from my rankings as ESPiN has pretty clearly signaled that (at least as of today) they have no chance of making the P_ayoffs.

This yeilds the following:
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Notre Dame
4. Clempson
5. Wisconsin
6. Miami (but almost TIED with Wisc.! Closest gap in my Top-10)
7. OU
8. Ohio $t.
9. TCU
10. Washington

This system ranks aub #14 and MSU #19.

My sense is that ESPiN and the "Double Secret Committee" are positioning the P_ayoffs to shake out this way (pending the upsets that may well come):

The following teams are probably "IN" so long as they finish with under 2 losses:
(Order is NOT significant as Seeding will be set at the end based on desired TV pairings)
1) UA/UGA Winner - one seat at the table
2) Notre Dame
3) Clem/Miami Winner- again, one slot between them.

The fourth spot will be occupied by Wisconsin, but ONLY if they run the table and Win the B1G title with a 13-0 record. If they lose even ONE game, they are almost certainly "Out". As matters stand today, the next team "on deck" would be the OU/TCU winner (If 12-1).

IF we don't have 4 teams from the above with 1 or no losses, the next team "on deck" would be Washington, again, if they run the table from here out.

IF we don't have 4 teams from the above with 1 or no losses, then the door swings open. ;)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The way I see it, the following teams control their own destiny with the cfp:

Bama
Georgia
ND
Clemson
Oklahoma
Miami
Auburn

Everyone else will need some help.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
The way I see it, the following teams control their own destiny with the cfp:

Bama
Georgia
ND
Clemson
Oklahoma
Miami
Auburn

Everyone else will need some help.
Respectfully, all those except aub. They can only (potentially) prevent others from making it (UA or UGa). Even if they win out, a 2 loss SEC Champ is still OUT, without Lots and Lots of other teams "helping" by also losing. They aren't taking a 2 loss SEC champ over a 1 loss champ from ANY of the other 5 partners.

Also, you can add Wisconsin to that list. The talking heads can say whatever they want about "Resume" and other meaningless buzz-words. A 13-0 B1G-Ego champ will ALWAYS be in the _racket, No Matter What.

The B1G is the Richest conference in America with the biggest TV Footprint. Even if it was Indiana or Illinois - a 13-0 B1G champ is IN no matter what their schedule looks like. People forget - 2014 Ohio $tate didn't have ANY better a "Resume" than 2017 Wisconsin - at least Wiscy played in a strong B1G (even if they didn't play the best B1G teams) - it was a very weak conference in 2014, and O$U's OOC schedule was nothing to write home about.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Just how I see the "Snapshot" of today - with the understanding that MUCH is likely to change between today and December 3! :)

But my current Top-10 is based on an average of what I consider to be the best (or most influential) polls and the best Computers. I include AP (probably best) and ESPiN "FPI" (probably most influential considering ESPiN's role behind the closed doors of the "Double Secret Committee"); Massey's compilation of over 80 published computer polls (I count this as one "vote"), then the 6 computers that formed the computer portion of the former BCS computation. I don't include the sham "P_ayoff Poll" as its utterly meaningless Until they give their final rankings. Also, I have Arbitrarily eliminated UCF from my rankings as ESPiN has pretty clearly signaled that (at least as of today) they have no chance of making the P_ayoffs.

This yeilds the following:
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Notre Dame
4. Clempson
5. Wisconsin
6. Miami (but almost TIED with Wisc.! Closest gap in my Top-10)
7. OU
8. Ohio $t.
9. TCU
10. Washington

This system ranks aub #14 and MSU #19.

My sense is that ESPiN and the "Double Secret Committee" are positioning the P_ayoffs to shake out this way (pending the upsets that may well come):

The following teams are probably "IN" so long as they finish with under 2 losses:
(Order is NOT significant as Seeding will be set at the end based on desired TV pairings)
1) UA/UGA Winner - one seat at the table
2) Notre Dame
3) Clem/Miami Winner- again, one slot between them.

The fourth spot will be occupied by Wisconsin, but ONLY if they run the table and Win the B1G title with a 13-0 record. If they lose even ONE game, they are almost certainly "Out". As matters stand today, the next team "on deck" would be the OU/TCU winner (If 12-1).

IF we don't have 4 teams from the above with 1 or no losses, the next team "on deck" would be Washington, again, if they run the table from here out.

IF we don't have 4 teams from the above with 1 or no losses, then the door swings open. ;)
Tom-Your number eight team has lost two games-- 31-7, and 55-24.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It might be a stretch, but IF the barn beats the no 1 and 2 teams in the country( us and Georgia) in consecutive weeks then I do think they have a legitimate shot at the playoff in the minds of the committee and ESPN. Hence they control their destiny.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It might be a stretch, but IF the barn beats the no 1 and 2 teams in the country( us and Georgia) in consecutive weeks then I do think they have a legitimate shot at the playoff in the minds of the committee and ESPN. Hence they control their destiny.
AU does not control its own destiny. AU is not getting in over a 1 loss or fewer ND, Wash, Wisc Conf Champ, OU, TCU, Clem, Miami. So, AU needs 4 of those teams to lose again and Miami and maybe Wisc to lose twice. OU/TCU, Clem/Miami and Miami/ND play each other, but even if Miami loses to ND and wins out, it will go before AU. That could happen, but AU does not control its own destiny, it needs help, though it would likely be the top 2 loss team if that much chaos ensues. OTOH, e.g., Bama definitely is in if it wins out or if it loses 1 game and beats UGA in the SECC game; e.g., UGA is in if it wins out or loses to AU but wins the SECC and maybe if its only loss is in the SECC game. But the real issue is that the odds of AU beating UGA/Bama/UGA are extremely low. It's been years (2013 and that took 2 once in a lifetime fluke plays) since AU has beaten a good team, home or away. They've lost 6 in a row and 16 of 20 to UGA/Bama. To do it 3 times in 4 weeks is hardly worth mentioning. It's far less likely than Wisc going 13-0.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
AU does not control its own destiny. AU is not getting in over a 1 loss or fewer ND, Wash, Wisc Conf Champ, OU, TCU, Clem, Miami. So, AU needs 4 of those teams to lose again and Miami and maybe Wisc to lose twice. OU/TCU, Clem/Miami and Miami/ND play each other, but even if Miami loses to ND and wins out, it will go before AU. That could happen, but AU does not control its own destiny, it needs help, though it would likely be the top 2 loss team if that much chaos ensues. OTOH, e.g., Bama definitely is in if it wins out or if it loses 1 game and beats UGA in the SECC game; e.g., UGA is in if it wins out or loses to AU but wins the SECC and maybe if its only loss is in the SECC game. But the real issue is that the odds of AU beating UGA/Bama/UGA are extremely low. It's been years (2013 and that took 2 once in a lifetime fluke plays) since AU has beaten a good team, home or away. They've lost 6 in a row and 16 of 20 to UGA/Bama. To do it 3 times in 4 weeks is hardly worth mentioning. It's far less likely than Wisc going 13-0.
Auburn, a Conf Champ at 11-2, with a 1 score loss to #4Clemson and a win over #2 Alabama and #1 Georgia would not get in? That can't be right. Who else played THREE top four teams and beat two of them?

Edit: Forgot about retro-ranking. If Auburn beats Bama and Georgia they will not have beaten #2 and #4 teams and if Miami beats Clemson they will not have beaten a #4 team. I guess it depend on which SOS they want to use.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would hate to go into Auburn with a shot at the SECCG and the CFP on the line for both teams. I mean, really crazy/lucky stuff happens there in those spots.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My Rankings:

1) Don't Matter Now
2) Lots of Games Left
3) Who Cares Who's Where?
4) It Will All Work Itself Out

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
My Rankings:

1) Don't Matter Now
2) Lots of Games Left
3) Who Cares Who's Where?
4) It Will All Work Itself Out

This is absolutely true. Every year they create controversy about stuff that usually fixes itself by years end. It makes for good ratings and I admit I like to watch if nothing more to keep up with the progression in the polls and see where things are going. This poll really won't start coming into clarity until another three weeks.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.