Best Case Scenario: Bama Wins, Auburn Loses This Saturday

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
With Auburn beating both rivals and now *both* of them going to the playoffs while Auburn sits at home, will we now hear about Auburn's misfortune just as much (on CBS and before Iron Bowls) as we hear about Kick-6 and Punt Bama Punt?

If not, we really should.
:tongue:

I'm doubtful but it's a nice thought.

Last edited:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
With Auburn beating both rivals and now *both* of them going to the playoffs while Auburn sits at home, will we now hear about Auburn's misfortune just as much (on CBS and before Iron Bowls) as we hear about Kick-6 and Punt Bama Punt?

If not, we really should.
:tongue:

I'm doubtful but it's a nice thought.
What do you call team that beats 2 teams while they are ranked #1 and still sits out playoff?????????????? Auburn hehe That is what I would like to hear all bowl season. How not only winning big games, you must win the little ones. Remember what Gene Stallings said yrs ago, if you think this game does not matter, lose it and find out how much it matters. Aubs need to listen to a coach who played for and won a National Title. The man knows his stuff :biggrin:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Considering all the conspiracy talk, I thought this thread was worth bumping.
Thanks for bumping. I have an Auburn friend on Twitter who asked this question a few days ago and I wonder what you guys think.

"Would Auburn have made the playoff if they had not lost to LSU?"

So Bama/Barn game would have been two SEC west teams being undefeated playing in the IB (Auburn would have already had the one loss to Clemson).

After the IB, they both would have been 11-1, but the Barn goes to the SECCG. They could have possible been #1 in the CFP poll at that time. They lose to Georgia in the SECCG. So how far would they have fallen? AND, after the final CFP poll would they (with 2 losses) got the nod over Alabama?

I say probably not for the same reason OSU didn't. Two losses! And the Barn wouldn't have had the claim, "but we won our conference" like OSU had.

Their only claim would have been, "But we beat Bama head to head."

So what do you all think?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thanks for bumping. I have an Auburn friend on Twitter who asked this question a few days ago and I wonder what you guys think.

So Bama/Barn game would have been two SEC west teams being undefeated playing in the IB (Auburn would have already had the one loss to Clemson).

After the IB, they both would have been 11-1, but the Barn goes to the SECCG. They could have possible been #1 in the CFP poll at that time. They lose to Georgia in the SECCG. So how far would they have fallen? AND, after the final CFP poll would they (with 2 losses) got the nod over Alabama?

I say probably not for the same reason OSU didn't. Two losses! And the Barn wouldn't have had the claim, "but we won our conference" like OSU had.

If they beat LSU, Georgia and Alabama all in the regular season, their resume would have been ridiculous. Plus, our win over LSU would have been less impressive. Another factor, 11-1 Auburn might be the #1 team in the nation over Clemson entering Championship Saturday because of when the losses occurred.

I'm not sure Auburn doesn't make it as the 4 seed in that case.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If they beat LSU, Georgia and Alabama all in the regular season, their resume would have been ridiculous. Plus, our win over LSU would have been less impressive. Another factor, 11-1 Auburn might be the #1 team in the nation over Clemson entering Championship Saturday because of when the losses occurred.

I'm not sure Auburn doesn't make it as the 4 seed in that case.
Agreed on all points, but they would have still had 2 losses. Much better losses than OSU, but their last loss they got their butts handed to them in the SECCG.

It would have been interesting!

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Heck of a scenario. They would be a much stronger candidate than OSU in that case.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Heck of a scenario. They would be a much stronger candidate than OSU in that case.
It would have been a better "test case" for a 2 loss team simply becaues they beat us head to head.

Just thankful we didn't have to sit thru that hand wringer!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.