5. Oklahoma
6. Central Florida
7. Minnesota
8. Northern Illinois
9. Oklahoma St
10. Utah
11. UCLA
12. TCU

Fun fact: Against these 12 teams Alabama has a combined record of 8-31.

Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, UCLA, & TCU would make for a great season opener matchup. Maybe schedule a home & home or neutral site game.

Follow that up with a game against Rice, Boston College, Minnesota, Utah in week 2.

Slot in Central Florida & Northern Illinois the week before the Auburn game.

I purpose the following

week 1: Texas
week 12: Central Florida

week 2: Rice
week 12: Northern Illinois

week 1: Notre Dame
week 2: Boston College

week 1: Notre Dame
week 2: Minnesota

week 1: Oklahoma
week 2: Utah
week 12: Louisiana Tech

week 1: Oklahoma
week 12: Louisiana Monroe

week 1: Oklahoma St
week 2: Boston College

week 1: UCLA
week 2: California

week 1: TCU
week 2: Syracuse
week 12: South Florida

week 12: San Jose St
funny the seriousness of the replies, I appreciate the sentiment and cool thought to wipe those slates in the shortest possible amount of time - thinking along those lines, maybe just go ahead and plan for us to beat a couple if these teams during the playoffs to cut down on the amount of time to get it done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Everybody plays a few cupcakes every year, being in the SEC we don't ever have to worry about SOS being a factor. This season we played Colorado St and have Mercer upcoming. Next season we play Louisville, Arkansas St, and the mighty Citadel. In '19 we play Duke, New Mexico St, & Southern Miss (A team we are 36-5-2 against). In 2020 we have Georgia St & Kent St. So teams like Boston College, Rice, and Minnesota would actually be a step up in class.
Notre Dame doesn't seem to shy away from anyone. They have the toughest schedule this season. I think they'd play us on a neutral field. They played Georgia, lost, and it didn't kill their chances. It irks me to see an 0-3 record against a team like Rice. Central Florida, Minnesota, Northern Illinois, Oklahoma St, and Utah are a combined 5-0 against Bama. Why not use some of the cupcake games we play every season to even up some of the series histories? Would certainly rather see that than continuing to beat up on teams like Houston (10-0), Louisiana Lafayette (8-0), Cincinnati (5-0), NC State (5-0), Washington (5-0), North Texas (4-0), Middle Tennessee St (3-0), Temple (3-0), Tulsa (3-0), Western Kentucky (3-0) or the 26 other teams that we are a combined 37-0 against.
Jack Crowe says The Citadel is a tough opponent.

If you don't get it use google.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
A couple of years ago Coach Saban suggested that all Power 5 teams should have to play 10 Power 5 teams every year. This idea kind of evens thing out for the different conferences that play 8 or 9 games. Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Speak for yourself, born and raised in Alabama, and I hate ever being tied to any of the civil war crap. South lost its honor by taking arms against its own country. Not to get off on that tangent but lets keep football in perspective.To me the southern thing has zero to do with that era, it has to do with being a gentleman, and loving the outdoors and especially college football. That is the only southern thing I want anything to do with. So not to get all high and mighty, but do not group all southerners in a broad group.Thanks and Roll Tide, the true pride of the south is Bama football to me. I love the greeting I get when I travel and folks see the scriptA logo and holler roll tide with a midwestern or yankee accent, it is just to cool.
Do you take everything that's said so literal?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Speak for yourself, born and raised in Alabama, and I hate ever being tied to any of the civil war crap. South lost its honor by taking arms against its own country. Not to get off on that tangent but lets keep football in perspective.To me the southern thing has zero to do with that era, it has to do with being a gentleman, and loving the outdoors and especially college football. That is the only southern thing I want anything to do with. So not to get all high and mighty, but do not group all southerners in a broad group.Thanks and Roll Tide, the true pride of the south is Bama football to me. I love the greeting I get when I travel and folks see the scriptA logo and holler roll tide with a midwestern or yankee accent, it is just to cool.
Well, I was about half kidding but you perhaps haven't been here long enough to know that, so that's my fault.

However......the Civil War ended in 1865. The first cfb game was played in November of 1869 between Princeton and Rutgers.

"On November 13, 1869, Princeton and Rutgers had a return match, which Princeton won. In its origins, Princeton was very much a college of the South. Cavalier families sent their sons there, and Old Nassau proudly turned up its nose at the codfish aristocracy of Harvard. So when the Princeton football team utilized the Confederate yell, well known as to those young men as the 'scarer' that the rebels had used in charging the Union forces only a few years before, a new-old form of verbal encouragement became a collegiate tradition for the players. Actually, Princeton had used the rebel yell in the historic first game against Rutgers, but cool heads observed that it winded the players so much that they lost the game. When Princeton came back for the second match, the same cool heads lined up shouters on the sidelines to do the yelling while the players concentrated on winning the game. Thus, was cheerleading born, thanks to the Confederacy. Starting in 1877, the first schools in the South to play football were Washington and Lee University and Virginia Military Institute...."

(John MacCallum, "Southeastern Conference Football: America's Most Competitive Conference," 1980:15).

The late Southern humorist Lewis Grizzard summarized his feelings in 1992 in his book, "I Haven't Understood Anything Since 1962." I'm paraphrasing but here, in essence, is what he said:

College football has so much more than the pro game. A Southern white friend of mine explained why it seems so many Southern men take a life and death approach. He said that if you'll think about it, except for Vietnam (which was like getting tied by Wake Forest), the Southern white male is the only American to ever lose a war. That shame has been handed down from generation to generation - that and all the Northerners thinking we're all a bunch of Jed Clampetts. So a Northerner moves down South and his neighbor communicates it's a shame there's not still a war going on else he could go get his gun and shoot the Yankee. No, there's no war going on - but what there is is college football.

Now - is this to be taken overly literally? No. But is there an element of truth to it? Yes.

The South was agrarian at the time and in ruins still. The first cfb game in the South was in 1877, a time when Reconstruction was just sort of coming to an end. The first game in the Southeast was held at the University of Kentucky in April of 1880 (and that's stretching the definition of SE right there). By 1895, nine of the ten member schools of the SEC in 1980 were playing college football, which had very little in common with what we have now but was more like rugby.

So while my statement shouldn't be taken overly literally, there ARE some elements of truth to it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I like cupcakes. Sometimes when you’ve been good, a cupcake is your reward. Sometimes when you are down a cupcake can lift your spirits.

I see Mercer as a reward for being 10-0.....they are the “great job today fellas, here’s a mini-cupcake that is a great reward but won’t ruin your dinner” type of cupcake.

UTs cupcake was Southern Miss....that was of the “I’m a sad fat guy who everybody hates so I eat” type of cupcake

Last edited:

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I like cupcakes. Sometimes when you’ve been good, a cupcake is your reward. Sometimes when you are down a cupcake can lift your spirits.

I see Mercer as a reward for being 10-0.....they are the “great job today fellas, here’s a mini-cupcake that is a great reward but won’t ruin your dinner” type of cupcake.

UTs cupcake was Southern Miss....that was of the “I’m a sad fat guy who everybody hates so I eat” type of cupcake
I don’t disagree with one exception. You have to have at least one decent OOC home game. Season ticket holders are the ones who suffer having to pay full price for these games and then can barely give them away.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I don’t disagree with one exception. You have to have at least one decent OOC home game. Season ticket holders are the ones who suffer having to pay full price for these games and then can barely give them away.
Not sure I agree since most fans would rather see a sure thing than a close win against a tough team. Tough OOC games are for the season opener and the end of the year....not to wreck your season midway

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you consider a Colorado State type team "decent", then I agree. But it cannot and should not be a top 20 type team unless the game comes with other advantages. This sport has not been about ticket sales for a long time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I have always seen these games as a break and an opportunity to tweak things more so than a reward. Mercer is a break. A chance to rest the troops before Auburn and the SECCG. CoSt and FrSt were "tweak" and "test" games.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
If you consider a Colorado State type team "decent", then I agree. But it cannot and should not be a top 20 type team unless the game comes with other advantages. This sport has not been about ticket sales for a long time.
It’s hard to predict whether or not some of these teams will be top 25 worthy when you schedule them years in advance. UAs OOC home games in 2018 are Arkansas State, U-LaLa, and The Citadel. Why not try to mix in a traditionally mid tier opponent from another conference? I’m quite certain Alabama would be just fine. When is the last time UA lost to a team outside of the top 10?
By comparison, LSU has Southeastern LA, LA Tech and Rice. Nothing to get excited about. We had Syracuse this year and the vibe was much better for that game than the other two OOC games (no need to remind me one was a loss to Troy)

The season ticket holders, and yes I am still one although I have someone who buys most games, are the middle class of college football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It’s hard to predict whether or not some of these teams will be top 25 worthy when you schedule them years in advance. UAs OOC home games in 2018 are Arkansas State, U-LaLa, and The Citadel. Why not try to mix in a traditionally mid tier opponent from another conference? I’m quite certain Alabama would be just fine. When is the last time UA lost to a team outside of the top 10?
By comparison, LSU has Southeastern LA, LA Tech and Rice. Nothing to get excited about. We had Syracuse this year and the vibe was much better for that game than the other two OOC games (no need to remind me one was a loss to Troy)

The season ticket holders, and yes I am still one although I have someone who buys most games, are the middle class of college football.
Alabama had 2 teams who are generally as good as Syracuse on their schedule this year in Fresno State and Colorado State. Add FSU and Alabama's OOC is pretty stout.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, I was about half kidding but you perhaps haven't been here long enough to know that, so that's my fault.

However......the Civil War ended in 1865. The first cfb game was played in November of 1869 between Princeton and Rutgers.

"On November 13, 1869, Princeton and Rutgers had a return match, which Princeton won. In its origins, Princeton was very much a college of the South. Cavalier families sent their sons there, and Old Nassau proudly turned up its nose at the codfish aristocracy of Harvard. So when the Princeton football team utilized the Confederate yell, well known as to those young men as the 'scarer' that the rebels had used in charging the Union forces only a few years before, a new-old form of verbal encouragement became a collegiate tradition for the players. Actually, Princeton had used the rebel yell in the historic first game against Rutgers, but cool heads observed that it winded the players so much that they lost the game. When Princeton came back for the second match, the same cool heads lined up shouters on the sidelines to do the yelling while the players concentrated on winning the game. Thus, was cheerleading born, thanks to the Confederacy. Starting in 1877, the first schools in the South to play football were Washington and Lee University and Virginia Military Institute...."

(John MacCallum, "Southeastern Conference Football: America's Most Competitive Conference," 1980:15).

The late Southern humorist Lewis Grizzard summarized his feelings in 1992 in his book, "I Haven't Understood Anything Since 1962." I'm paraphrasing but here, in essence, is what he said:

College football has so much more than the pro game. A Southern white friend of mine explained why it seems so many Southern men take a life and death approach. He said that if you'll think about it, except for Vietnam (which was like getting tied by Wake Forest), the Southern white male is the only American to ever lose a war. That shame has been handed down from generation to generation - that and all the Northerners thinking we're all a bunch of Jed Clampetts. So a Northerner moves down South and his neighbor communicates it's a shame there's not still a war going on else he could go get his gun and shoot the Yankee. No, there's no war going on - but what there is is college football.

Now - is this to be taken overly literally? No. But is there an element of truth to it? Yes.

The South was agrarian at the time and in ruins still. The first cfb game in the South was in 1877, a time when Reconstruction was just sort of coming to an end. The first game in the Southeast was held at the University of Kentucky in April of 1880 (and that's stretching the definition of SE right there). By 1895, nine of the ten member schools of the SEC in 1980 were playing college football, which had very little in common with what we have now but was more like rugby.

So while my statement shouldn't be taken overly literally, there ARE some elements of truth to it.
It was still a thing in the 1920s, when Alabama traveled north and beat Penn, who was a national power in that day, and then Washington in the Rose Bowl following the 1925 season. Both games were massive upsets, and put Southern football on the map. You can bet, as the Civil War had been a mere 60 years earlier, that it was still fresh on the minds of everyone involved, including the Northerners and Westerners who had looked down their collective noses at the rubes from Alabama before the games were played.

While we continue to get farther and farther away from the 1860s, it was that passion to be great at something against the North that gave birth to what we have today. And that is a football program that maintains excellence throughout the passing decades. We have our downs, but the drive to succeed runs very deep in this state, and that means we will always find our way back to the top.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Alabama had 2 teams who are generally as good as Syracuse on their schedule this year in Fresno State and Colorado State. Add FSU and Alabama's OOC is pretty stout.
I wasn’t comparing this year’s. All I am saying is that I hate it when all 3 OOC games are terrible.

On another note, im planning to make a trip up to The Horseshoe next year for OSUs worst game of the year, Tulane. Several of us New Orleanians have been invited by our good friend who grew up in the shadows of the stadium to see his hometown. Actually, he is there this weekend for his parents 50th anniversary tonight and they are going to the game tomorrow. Should be in the 20s, yikes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wasn’t comparing this year’s. All I am saying is that I hate it when all 3 OOC games are terrible.

On another note, im planning to make a trip up to The Horseshoe next year for OSUs worst game of the year, Tulane. Several of us New Orleanians have been invited by our good friend who grew up in the shadows of the stadium to see his hometown. Actually, he is there this weekend for his parents 50th anniversary tonight and they are going to the game tomorrow. Should be in the 20s, yikes.
Columbus weather in September is generally awesome. I hope that you enjoy the game.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I think we have done pretty good OOC with Saban, open with real team so you are going 100% day one. Then a mid level OOC and a one soft one. Get the backups some game time in the soft and or mid level one. Right now the way the SEC regulars have dropped makes OOC more important. few years back SEC was enough to keep SOS high, not so much now. Like said above, hard to know today where a tem will be in 4-6 years. When we scheduled Penn St they were good, by the time we played them they stunk. It is all a crap shoot as teams go up and down so fast, unless they are Bama LOL 10 years of being dang good.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Columbus weather in September is generally awesome. I hope that you enjoy the game.
Do you ever sleep? Do you have a job or work or are you independently wealthy? You are one more prolific poster. This is totally in jest, hope you take it that way.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Do you ever sleep? Do you have a job or work or are you independently wealthy? You are one more prolific poster. This is totally in jest, hope you take it that way.
LOL - I have very odd work hours and even when working I am generally on one of my laptops.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.