Out of conference scheduling

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I have always seen these games as a break and an opportunity to tweak things more so than a reward. Mercer is a break. A chance to rest the troops before Auburn and the SECCG. CoSt and FrSt were "tweak" and "test" games.
with our injury situation now, I agree 100%.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Not sure I agree since most fans would rather see a sure thing than a close win against a tough team. Tough OOC games are for the season opener and the end of the year....not to wreck your season midway
We are getting to go to the Mercer game this year. The tickets were cheap, we didn't have any sport holding us back from going and we are sitting by the student section for my child to get to see what a college atmosphere is like at a real football stadium. I am going to enjoy us beating the dog mess out of this cupcake. I am that fan who enjoys watching a sure thing sometimes or most of the time since Coach Saban arrived.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Losing by a point late to UGA did not kill them NO, but if we beat them as we did in National Title game a few years back they would drop hard. ND is one teamyou will not see a WE WANT BAMA SIGN anywhere near their fans bahahahahahahaha They had us, and trust me I know a few ND fans personally, they do not want us until Saban leaves.
Honestly, nobody really wants us until Saban leaves. I'm sure a few teams will beat us now and then, Saban has only had one undefeated season, but most teams will get crushed as long as Saban is here.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Various arguments can be made for OOC scheduling and most have been made here, pro and con. My own view is Power 5 teams should play FBS teams. One or two Power 5 and the Cupcake(s) can be Group of 5 ~ no dipping into FCS. Group of five can dip into FCS for a cupcake(s) game or two.

Who likes to see the muscle man kicking sand on the 90 lb. weakling at the beach?

For example, I would have like this seasons OOC to have been FSU, Iowa, Colorado State, and Fresno State. No FCS.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Once again it becomes obvious how many of you still are forgetting these are AMATEUR athletics, regardless of the money they produce.

Mercer is playing Auburn and Alabama to help keep Mercer open as a university. It's symbiosis. The SEC teams get a practice scrimmage win and the schools leave with a million bucks.

Everybody makes money, schools continue to educate and stay open.

Alabama has never played Oregon State, a Power 5 team. Reser Stadium in Corvallis holds about 45,000 people when packed, less than 1/2 of BDS. WHY should Alabama want to play a home and home against such a school? Nothing against the nice people of Corvallis or Oregon but......this is about money at the end.

Albertsons Stadium (the Smurf Turf in Boise) seats 36,000 people.......why in the world would we agree to a home and home with such a school?

The scheduling we've been doing since Saban's arrival (quite frankly even before) is just fine. Neutral site tough game, three scrimmages, and the SEC grind (that admittedly has been not quite as tough lately).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.