News Article: Gary Patterson recalls unpleasant coaching interview with Tennessee

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
"It appears Tennessee had a legitimate shot at luring Patterson away from TCU before hiring Kiffin. It is difficult to speculate what would have happened if Patterson wound up in Knoxville. However, Patterson has continued to post strong results with the Horned Frogs while Kiffin spent one season with the Vols before making stops at USC and Alabama before arriving at FAU this season."

"Patterson did interview with the Vols, but it does not sound like it was a great experience for the coach. In a recent article by ESPN’s Chris Low, Patterson mentioned that he got the impression Tennessee did not believe he could handle big games and had already made a decision."

took the link out since so many getting antivirus warnings - NT16
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Tennessee, Florida & AU are places that any coach with a backbone should avoid like the plague. I would not want to take a job anywhere they let someone who used to hold that job hang around and look over my shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
It's been hit or miss for me, one visit I'll get the warning, the next few maybe not. Seems I get it more if I click on their link within a tweet. Who knows...

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
"It appears Tennessee had a legitimate shot at luring Patterson away from TCU before hiring Kiffin. It is difficult to speculate what would have happened if Patterson wound up in Knoxville. However, Patterson has continued to post strong results with the Horned Frogs while Kiffin spent one season with the Vols before making stops at USC and Alabama before arriving at FAU this season."

"Patterson did interview with the Vols, but it does not sound like it was a great experience for the coach. In a recent article by ESPN’s Chris Low, Patterson mentioned that he got the impression Tennessee did not believe he could handle big games and had already made a decision."

took the link out since so many getting antivirus warnings - NT16
:)
Opened it earlier today and read, and I think it did have a pop up ad that I closed with no issue

On the topic, not surprised that it was unpleasant around all that ut, I mean the color alone had to make him queasy...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Wow. They missed on a good one. Their arrogance really cost them. Not saying they would’ve won national championships but I think they could’ve won the east a time or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Gary Patterson would've returned Tennessee to something close to glory. He has up and downs but the ups are high-end football teams and the downs are not even as bad as the worst they've suffered since Fulmer. He was the exact coach they needed: adaptable on offense, defensive minded, developmental program strategy that doesn't need elite recruiting just a mix of 4-stars and developmental 3-stars w/ the occasional 5-star.

God bless em that they went with Kiff instead.

Last edited:

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Gary Patterson would've returned Tennessee to something close to glory. He has up and downs but the ups are high-end football teams and the downs are even as bad as the worst they've suffered since Fulmer. He was the exact coach they needed: adaptable on offense, defensive minded, developmental program strategy that doesn't need elite recruiting just a mix of 4-stars and developmental 3-stars w/ the occasional 5-star.

God bless em that they went with Kiff instead.
can't argue your points based on recent history...but tcu didn't really play week in and out against better competition until they joined the big 12-10 in 2012, they were still competing in the mountain west at that time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
can't argue your points based on recent history...but tcu didn't really play week in and out against better competition until they joined the big 12-10 in 2012, they were still competing in the mountain west at that time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep yep! His move from MWC to Big-12 is exactly what I was projecting upon for the hypothetical Knoxville job...seemed like the appropriate sample. They'd love to have a few years where they were actually a legit foil to Alabama even if it meant a 6-6 to 8-5 type season or two in between.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Patterson is highly respected in our neck of the woods and certainly by Sooner fans. He is from the Bill Snyder coaching tree. The guy can really coach D and is smart enough to turn his O over to an equally talented offensive mind in Sonny Cumbie. If I'm not mistaken he took his Frogs to a Rose Bowl win when the program was sort of a after thought. He can coach on any stage. If he were ever to find work in College Station the Aggies would be lethal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Patterson is highly respected in our neck of the woods and certainly by Sooner fans. He is from the Bill Snyder coaching tree. The guy can really coach D and is smart enough to turn his O over to an equally talented offensive mind in Sonny Cumbie. If I'm not mistaken he took his Frogs to a Rose Bowl win when the program was sort of a after thought. He can coach on any stage. If he were ever to find work in College Station the Aggies would be lethal.
I have heard rumors that he has a very difficult personality - that he is not well liked. Any substance to that?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Feel like that is no different than the talk of Saban. They love him in Ft. Worth and that's all that matters.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.